• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

8-10 for me .. challenging for the play offs without seriously threatening them

Reasons ... i'm not entirely convinced about any section of the team ..the keeper situation, an injury-prone/lack of pace centre of defence, the lack of bite in midfield and the source of goals

Because the league is basically a poor one we'll be ok-ish but Chesterfield/Wycombe/Bristol Rovers/Fleetwood/Rotherham all look much more solid than us (ON PAPER !!!!!)

Happy to be proved wrong obviously, wouldn't be the first time after all :smile:

Another promotion push, this time starting off slower though and gathering momentum. Bristol Rovers to win it, with one of Fleetwood or Rotherham imploding to allow us to snatch 3rd.

at the times he was not in the starting 11, we were playing Timlin with Ferdinand and Kalalalalala and launching the ball long vaguely in the direction of Dickinson's head with little or no midfield input. Come the last part of the season when we were trying to play something more similar to the game we all know and love Grant was far and away our best and most influential player.

Yeah, but weren't we winning matches with Timlin/Ferdinand/Kalala, and struggling after Kalala's injury?

Mid-table obscurity for me. Wasnt convinced last year and have seen nothing so far pre season to get excited about. Hope I'm wrong

8-10 for me .. challenging for the play offs without seriously threatening them

Reasons ... i'm not entirely convinced about any section of the team ..the keeper situation, an injury-prone/lack of pace centre of defence, the lack of bite in midfield and the source of goals

Because the league is basically a poor one we'll be ok-ish but Chesterfield/Wycombe/Bristol Rovers/Fleetwood/Rotherham all look much more solid than us (ON PAPER !!!!!)

Happy to be proved wrong obviously, wouldn't be the first time after all :smile:

Not to mention Bradford, Cheltenham, the Gills, Oxford, Port Vale and possibly Torquay and Northampton.

Mid table obscurity, desperately hope I'm wrong. This will be the last season in which I personally give Sturrock the benefit of the doubt; anything less than the promised promotion won't be good enough in my eyes. UTB

Not to mention Bradford, Cheltenham, the Gills, Oxford, Port Vale and possibly Torquay and Northampton.

They're all decent sides but I wouldn't say any of them are much more solid than us. Man for man our squad is one of the best in the division (other than having no goalkeeper and being a midfielder light).

My only concern is financial matters. On-field I think we'll be fine.

There's a lot of talk about a goalkeeper but for me the important thing is that we've not replaced Anthony Grant yet. Get in a centre-midfielder with some drive and then we can start thinking about promotion. I don't think we're going anywhere with Timlin and Ferdinand in the middle.

I've heard this mentioned a few times. Grant played in just over half of the games last season. The team won more points without him (on average) than they did with him in the side.

It just gets to a point where you're generally just naming other teams in the division, no way that all of those teams plus the ones you've highlighted are stronger than us. We may not be the best or certainties for promotion but we are one of the stronger teams in the division, why cant people accept this?

You'd think goals galore with the amount of forwards in the team. I really hope the club haven't gambled everything on Eastwood. If we don't get off to a decent start then Eastwood or no Eastwood, attendances we be as dire as ever.
Financially the club are still very much in the brown stuff and from the outside, are trying to score their way to better times. Fine if it comes off but it didn't last season and there is a few decent sides with us this.

I've heard this mentioned a few times. Grant played in just over half of the games last season. The team won more points without him (on average) than they did with him in the side.

That doesn't really counter what I'm saying. We've lost Grant, Kalala and at a stretch Sawyer. Regardless of how those players did or didn't perform last season we look short of quality in that area, IMO.

As good a chance as everyone else in the league. Boring but honest.
You just never know in this league, for me a lot of it comes down the squad clicking and staying as a unit, sum of the parts becoming greater then the whole etc.
Maybe im getting old, but i'd like to just see us have a damn good go, see some decentish footie.

sensible head off: We're gonna walk it, freddys gonna score 25 goals and we'll knock manu u out the cup again. :thumbsup:

R
Very low expectation levels. I would think mid-table at best. I reckon we might well find ourselves in the bottom four after a dozen or so games.

Bottom four?!??

The pessimism some people have astounds me sometimes. We finished with more points we ever had in this league yet two months later we are relegation fodder.

Im hoping we continue where we left the season and can be in the top 4 all season. May not work out like that but we won't be fighting relegation with this squad.

WE ARE GOING UP END OF!!!!

Whether Freddy is prolific or not I think we have many others who will be in amongst the goals, benyon looks like he has lot alot of weight, corr hopefully will gain full fitness and then the like of hurst, hall and possibly brogan.

We will be up there along with rotherham, port vale and i reckon bradford.

The squad with the additions of Cresswell, Straker, Hurst & Eastwood appears to be stronger than last season. However and as mentioned other clubs appear to have strengthened their squads, I can't see Bristol Rovers being so poor again. I am sure Rotherham, Chesterfield, Wycombe and Fleetwood will be there or there abouts. And sooner or later Bradford will make a serious challenge just hope it's not under Plankinson.

Heart says we'll **** it.
Head says play offs

Heart says Champions.
Head says? Upper mid-table. Between 11th and 8th.

That is no crticism of Luggy or the club but other clubs have invested or look likely to develop. We will do well to stand still.

Back