• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

At the end of the day, its about the skill levels of the players we have, indirect, or direct. The teams that went up last season mostly played the ball on the deck, but if they had decided to go long, im sure they would have been just as affective.

Sorry I don't agree that the teams that went up were ball playing teams - personally think only Crewe were the type of team people talk of on here !

Part of the reason Wednesday fans don't moan about Luggy is because they've had some horrendous managers and played some pretty ***** football in recent years. Only now they seem to be on the up but even so their footy is still pretty direct and Luggy-ish (using width and moving the ball quickly with purpose). Because they've had a lot of crap, they recognise that Luggy did the business. We're spoiled with our recent memories of Tilly and the fact that we played decent football on the deck for the most part. Only the very best teams worry about style, for 99% of teams it's results first, style second. We have a bizaare fascination with hoofball, even though we were so close to an exceptional season last year (the point about the 'plan B' issue is valid though).

It definitely is a case of be careful what you wish for. If Luggy goes after another unsuccessful season then who knows what manager would be interested in taking us on, and I'm pretty sure we won't be playing tika-taka down on the Essex Riviera.

Couldn't agree more, I rarely post anything but have asked in the past if anyone would prefer to go back to sort of football that Alvin Martin dished up for us??

I for one think that our current style(s) would have to sink a hell of a lot lower to get anywhere near the dross that I sat through back in those days.

It definitely is a case of be careful what you wish for. If Luggy goes after another unsuccessful season then who knows what manager would be interested in taking us on, and I'm pretty sure we won't be playing tika-taka down on the Essex Riviera.

Was last season unsuccessful? We didn't win promotion but there'd been a huge progression from the previous couple of years. With the climate as it is, we need to progress again this year otherwise I'm sure he'll go ... and as you infer, who we may end up getting then is a depressing thought.

Dancing? i could barely walk,after sitting in those East stand torture racks for 90 mins.

I've seen more leg room in the lego brick stadium's that my kids build ! My seat was right at the back, so I decided to stand up the whole game.

I find it shame that people on here are refusing to accept PS successes and want him out unless we suddenly start playing like Barcelona - in Divison 4, in a football era that is struggling to make ends meat ![/QUOTE]

I am so tired of the Barcelona references or cracks about Messi. Believe it or not there are varying levels of footballing ability. The anti-hoofball brigade, and I guess I am one, just want to see what we know the players can do, to their level. Those that want to take it to the extreme saying 'we ain't barcelona' are just trivialising the matter and using spurious, week arguement in support of the garbage served up for much of last season. I accept things have improved and I hope PS gets us the success we all crave. As for those that are happy to get promotion regardless of how we play then may I ask what they go to watch? I enjoy football and along with it hope The Blues will get promoted. I do not want promotion without good football or even no promotion without good football as in last season.

I find it shame that people on here are refusing to accept PS successes and want him out unless we suddenly start playing like Barcelona - in Divison 4, in a football era that is struggling to make ends meat !

I am so tired of the Barcelona references or cracks about Messi. Believe it or not there are varying levels of footballing ability. The anti-hoofball brigade, and I guess I am one, just want to see what we know the players can do, to their level. Those that want to take it to the extreme saying 'we ain't barcelona' are just trivialising the matter and using spurious, week arguement in support of the garbage served up for much of last season. I accept things have improved and I hope PS gets us the success we all crave. As for those that are happy to get promotion regardless of how we play then may I ask what they go to watch? I enjoy football and along with it hope The Blues will get promoted. I do not want promotion without good football or even no promotion without good football as in last season.[/QUOTE]

So you would rather see nice football as opposed to us getting promoted ?

and in answer to the subject in question. WHATEVER GETS US OUT OF THIS DIVISION !!

Spot on !

Success for Southend is for me of more importance that nice football. I want to go home celebrating 3 points, that is all that is printed in the papers the next day !

I find it shame that people on here are refusing to accept PS successes and want him out unless we suddenly start playing like Barcelona - in Divison 4, in a football era that is struggling to make ends meat !

I am so tired of the Barcelona references or cracks about Messi. Believe it or not there are varying levels of footballing ability. The anti-hoofball brigade, and I guess I am one, just want to see what we know the players can do, to their level. Those that want to take it to the extreme saying 'we ain't barcelona' are just trivialising the matter and using spurious, week arguement in support of the garbage served up for much of last season. I accept things have improved and I hope PS gets us the success we all crave. As for those that are happy to get promotion regardless of how we play then may I ask what they go to watch? I enjoy football and along with it hope The Blues will get promoted. I do not want promotion without good football or even no promotion without good football as in last season.[/QUOTE]

Also nice to only concentrate on the smallest part of the comments I made ! Sadly the purists seems to want nice football rather than what is more important to this football club and that is promotion and I'm sorry anyone that wants nice football above that is missing the point of what this football club needs to survive ! I also don't fall in to the trap if we play football that the crowds will come back - crowds only watch a team winning !

The anti-hoofball brigade, and I guess I am one, just want to see what we know the players can do, to their level.

That appears to be the crux of Sturrock's argument though; that the players we have aren't capable of pulling off that calibre of football so we must compensate for that with a more methodical, balanced approach. He's intimated that some of the players think they can pull off a certain style of play to the degree that's required and Sturrock thinks otherwise, an opinion that would certainly be supported by the drubbing we received from a mixture of Spurs fringe players and youth team members.

There's no blame to be placed on the players for having their own opinion or attempting to play a more aesthetically pleasing brand of football, but Sturrock's essentially here to make the decisions and he's in a far better position to judge, having experienced promotion a number of times in his managerial career and worked with far better players than we have at our disposal now. With the constraints we find ourselves under, substance will always take precedence over style.

I think everyone's forgetting Che Wilson's pinpoint passing.

Che used to play to his ability. When he had time on the ball he kept it simple and found a player with a short pass along the floor giving a better player a comfortable ball to control and play. I expect every pro footballer to be able to do this.

I think everyone's forgetting Che Wilson's pinpoint passing.

Must be, I cant remember it :smile:

Che used to play to his ability. When he had time on the ball he kept it simple and found a player with a short pass along the floor giving a better player a comfortable ball to control and play. I expect every pro footballer to be able to do this.

He also used to play suicide back passes as well which I expect every pro footballer not to do.

Id be hard pressed to choose between him and Prosser though. Seeing Prosser launch a ball up the wing (ie no where near a forward) does get tiresome.

Must be, I cant remember it :smile:

He also used to play suicide back passes as well which I expect every pro footballer not to do.

Id be hard pressed to choose between him and Prosser though. Seeing Prosser launch a ball up the wing (ie no where near a forward) does get tiresome.

I agree about Pross. BUT, when the option is there he always plays it short!

I agree about Pross. BUT, when the option is there he always plays it short!

Funny how Clohessy doesnt have the same issue though. If Prosser is under pressure (Prosser Pressure) then its understandable to at least get the ball out of defence.

The issue I have though is the whole theory of getting the ball forward into the last 3rd and then playing from there breaks down with the sort of balls Prosser plays, ie up the wing to no one. If he was "hitting" the target man and we had a chance of winning a knock down then that would be better.
Still at least he isnt losiing it in his own third...

Funny how Clohessy doesnt have the same issue though. If Prosser is under pressure (Prosser Pressure) then its understandable to at least get the ball out of defence.

The issue I have though is the whole theory of getting the ball forward into the last 3rd and then playing from there breaks down with the sort of balls Prosser plays, ie up the wing to no one. If he was "hitting" the target man and we had a chance of winning a knock down then that would be better.
Still at least he isnt losiing it in his own third...

He does well old Pross. He's an honest player. And he has definitely come on from his first game, which I was lucky enough to miss (apparently).

One thing that we have done in every game is win SO MANY BLOODY THROW INS on the edge of their box from long direct balls that back fours can't deal with. I can see us capitalising on this as time goes on. Especially if Leonard manages to stop symbolising a weak feeble old lady and actually chuck those balls into the box.

We are a 4th division football club with 4th division players !
Imo anyone earning there living playing football, should be competant enough to be able to pass a ball on a regular bascis to there own teammates.

Imo anyone earning there living playing football, should be competant enough to be able to pass a ball on a regular bascis to there own teammates.

Agreed - but that doesn't mean that it will result in a successful promotion season. My point was that we must be realistic with the type of players that we can attract and the passing ability of players is not as good in the 4th division as it is in the premier (yuk - 1st division).

As long as the other team isnt competent enough to close players down and make it harder to pick out passes.

Back