• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is Brown The Right Man for the Job

• Total voters
Apart from the manager's that have been a hit at one club throughout their career most managers have experience an indifferent managerial CV. It begs the question of what makes a good manager and how much of a role the manager has to play.

I have to say that I think good management also requires a bit of luck at the right time. Hindsight makes it a lot easier to pick a manager for your club but given Brown's CV I would suggest that he is more than good enough to be given a go at a League 2 club. How long do you give a manager in charge? What makes a good manager? It is all open to interpretation!

I still think he's a good appointment. A risky one, and maybe there are other better managers more suited to our task we could have got at other times, but I still believe he's a good manager.

I'm obviously very disappointed in the 4-2 loss last night but ultimately it makes little difference, he's learning how League 2 football games are won and lost and getting to know his players to see who to keep and where to strengthen, so even if our form continues to be poor I'll be optimistic that by the start of next season we will be competitive at the top end of the table again.

I'm (seemingly) in the minority but I'm not massively against what Ron has done with changing managers when he did. Ultimately with hindsight we can see that it had a detrimental effect on Wembley, and with hindsight it probably would have been better to make the changes after Wembley, but ultimately I'd much rather lose at Wembley 2-0 and have the new manager in ready to get us started for next season on a better footing than win the JPT and have a new manager who has a poor start to the season and scrambles to adjust things before the windows shuts in September.

Yeah Sturrock has done a superb job here and deserved to manage at Wembley, we all acknowledge that (even Ron), and I'm not delighted with the way it was done, but ultimately a change needed to happen, before or after Wembley, and we needed a new manager in. For me Phil Brown is a good candidate although risky, but he knows he has to succeed here otherwise his CV will be getting worse and worse. He'll battle with all he can get us up I'm sure, he needs it as much as we do.

Brown will never cope with under performing players, Brown good manager if he has good football team behind him. H

For those of you that say he isn't the right man for the job... why so?

Nothing in his CV suggests he can build a club
He's short-term (playing loanees and no Southend players under the age of 25)
His record in the transfer market is abysmal
He's lost something like 51 of his last 100 matches - and that's over 3 clubs
He has no experience managing on our budget
What experience he has managing around our level has been a disaster (Preston and the start to his Southend managerial career)
He's a northerner who has been at northern clubs as player and manager all his career
If, against all odds, he's actually successful he'll shoot off to another job quicker than you can say Judas Fry.
He's shown himself unable to halt slides
He has a record of embarrassingly losing to Col Ewe
He's shown no tactical awareness
He hasn't motivated the players

That's just for starters.

Now what, other than the fact that you've heard of him, makes you think he'll actually be any good? I've repeatedly asked this question and no-one seems to have been able to answer it.

Brown out useless, Its not managers that need sacking, ITS THE PLAYERS. Bring back TILSON.:clap:

Ive just answered you in the Tilson Thread as well, so gonna do the same here .............. Tilson is a spent force. Over saw Lincoln dropping out of league and also oversaw the same team plummet down the Conference League Table, before he was sacked. It now looks like he is about to be sacked by Canvey. Yep, I love Tilly for his PAST achievements. On tothe future.

Now Brown, again my response is the same ............

Lets give Brown the benefit of the doubt with his own players, before we get on his back for the current crop of under performing players, of whom may I add cost Sturrock his job as well ! Our decline this season has NOTHING at all to do with Brown and if you think it has, I assume you wasnt at the 3 home games, under Sturrock, where we gained a massive 1 point from 9 nor the performances after Christmas that proceeded them !!!

Brown out useless, Its not managers that need sacking, ITS THE PLAYERS. Bring back TILSON.:clap:

You mean bring back Tilson as a player? Now I was a big fan of his in his prime, but I'm not sure he still has the legs for Professional football.

Nothing in his CV suggests he can build a club
He's short-term (playing loanees and no Southend players under the age of 25)
His record in the transfer market is abysmal
He's lost something like 51 of his last 100 matches - and that's over 3 clubs
He has no experience managing on our budget
What experience he has managing around our level has been a disaster (Preston and the start to his Southend managerial career)
He's a northerner who has been at northern clubs as player and manager all his career
If, against all odds, he's actually successful he'll shoot off to another job quicker than you can say Judas Fry.
He's shown himself unable to halt slides
He has a record of embarrassingly losing to Col Ewe
He's shown no tactical awareness
He hasn't motivated the players

That's just for starters.

Now what, other than the fact that you've heard of him, makes you think he'll actually be any good? I've repeatedly asked this question and no-one seems to have been able to answer it.

1) Errr...
2) He....
3) Might do OK
4) Errm
5) That's
6) About
7) All
8) I can think
9) Of......
10)......Bart

Yes he has, and why is that? He has applied for plenty of jobs and got none of them. What does that tell you?
He might have walked away from a few, as he didn't like what he saw....
In addition he might have also changed his view on things after meeting Ron

This should have 2 more options ......

- No "but i'll support him anyway"
- No "and i'll take great delight in abusing him till I am horse and Ive chased him away from Roots Hall"

I worry the amount of "fans" that would tick the latter !!!

Surely we should only judge after he has had time to build his own team etc. I can not stand all this pre judgmental abuse that constantly appears on this site, what if he builds something exciting for next season and we do well? I fully understand it may go pear shaped but who can tell really? give him a chance FFS

Will judge him next Christmas.. way too soon to tell , When he has had the summer to clear out a lot of dead wood hopefully.. a pre season and his own staff in then we can say if he is up to it .. Truth is apart from Wembley our season has been over for weeks talk of the playoffs was frankly stupid after the performances in the last few games at home under Luggy ..The players knew it then and now are " on the beach " .. they know full well themselves who PB wants to try and retain in the summer so dont expect any of those who are not going to be here or want to be here next year to break sweat in the next four games we could do worse than take a look at DB in goal for the rest of the season and give some of the kids some game time .. you never know we might just find a player who could save as a few quid in the transfer market

All said and done I will still be there on Saturday !! UTB

My fear is Phil brings in lots of northern players and we hear on the pitch such as "by gum","give thy the ball",and "get Im by the breeches"

And from what I've seen at home since Christmas, they obviously didn't care for Sturrock too much either

The reason for bringing in a manager now is so he gets a chance to look at the players and decide who he wants and who he gets rid off. If we had waited until the end of a season no manager would be able to judge these players until August, which is way too late and means we could have ended up with a lot of this tosh next season

The play-offs were over weeks ago, he's been brought in for next season, so I'll judge him then

this ^^^^^

This should have 2 more options ......

- No "but i'll support him anyway"
- No "and i'll take great delight in abusing him till I am horse and Ive chased him away from Roots Hall"

I worry the amount of "fans" that would tick the latter !!!

100% this!

Came in with an outside chance of making the play-offs, outside of the transfer and loan window and now just 4 games in we're getting this reaction.

He's doomed to fail when everyone is so down on him.....But I hope he succeeds and I expect to see some humility from those who have voted "Yes" with glee.

Now the dust has settled on our wembley journey + the season is effectively dead... i am prepared to give Phil Brown my full backing ready for a great season ahead. It was a rather awkward entrance into Roots Hall for him + i'm sure everyone that Brown relied on for advice felt awkward. Sturrock had brought everyone in so they were hurting with loyalty but then the selfishness of every player wanting to appear at Wembley also affected eevrything. Not sure if Coughlan will still be here next season , more likely not , but he was possibly not opposing Browns initial views too strongly for fear of " not getting on" with the new boss. That would be normal for anyone in any career in that situation. Therefore players who werent 100% fit said they were, players who were not comfortable playing out of position probably said they were just to play in the cup final.

Now that is all out of the way lets look forward.

Brown is a young enthusiastic manager who talks well + actually quite a lot of sense. He has a different sense of humour to Sturrock but i find him similarly likeable. My initial reservations were totally based on my hurt loyalty dealt out to Sturrock. That is now history.

It wasnt so long that Hull were top of the premier playing very attractive football , beating everyone + Brown was possibly the hottest property in football management. It was relatively short lived but the potential is there - he does know what he's talking about.

Hopefully his contacts can help bring in the fresh new talent we need without spending money as he was afforded the luxury of in the past.

I am looking forward to a break from footy , ive actually had enough of it now... but come pre season friendlies against all the local teams i ll be right up for it again.

So lets all recharge our batteries , sit back + allow the new gaffer to show his worth + hit the ground running in season 2013/14. Lets face it if a crackpot like Martin Allen can do it , Phil Brown can breeze the league next year with us. Lets face it by finishing mid table now we'll be around 33-1 for the title - i'm having some of that !!!!

See you next season , UTB

Have you actually seen anyone who wants him to fail? I only see people express concern at his appointment but that doesn't mean they want him to fail. On these boards I've not seen one person say they want him to fail.

To say he us doomed to failure because people are sceptical is absurd. If he gets results he will succeed. If he doesn't he will fail.

This is a forum for opInions. Many are giving an opinion that they don't think he will be a good choice. Equally as many are not giving a view and merely saying give him a chance, that's an answer to a different question. Not many are sticking their neck out and saying it's a good appointment.

100% this!

Came in with an outside chance of making the play-offs, outside of the transfer and loan window and now just 4 games in we're getting this reaction.

He's doomed to fail when everyone is so down on him.....But I hope he succeeds and I expect to see some humility from those who have voted "Yes" with glee.

Have you actually seen anyone who wants him to fail? I only see people express concern at his appointment but that doesn't mean they want him to fail. On these boards I've not seen one person say they want him to fail.

To say he us doomed to failure because people are sceptical is absurd. If he gets results he will succeed. If he doesn't he will fail.

This is a forum for opInions. Many are giving an opinion that they don't think he will be a good choice. Equally as many are not giving a view and merely saying give him a chance, that's an answer to a different question. Not many are sticking their neck out and saying it's a good appointment.

100% this!

Back