• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What was Steve Tilson's great achievement at Southend United?

• Drawing at Stamford Bridge in the FA Cup

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Saw in the Echo the other day that he's going to be part of SEEVIC's sports staff at the new Basildon campus. My, how the mighty have fallen, or is it that he just doesn't have the ambition?

A regular job coaching and working at SEEVIC back at your home town probably isn't the worst thing to end up doing. Pursuing a managerial career drags you all over the place, and I get the feeling that Tilly isn't looking for that.

Why the digs at someone who bled blue for the club.
Whether I have misread How the mighty has fallen jibe, its seem a dig at one of our greatest player and manager.

I think staying too long here did him in no favours when he had the chance to move. OK a bit unfortunate the circumstances but in years to come people outside of southend won't remember they'll remember we had two relegations under his tenure. Not a great reputation by all accountds among the Lincoln people and apparently his relationship with Brush has soured.

Saw in the Echo the other day that he's going to be part of SEEVIC's sports staff at the new Basildon campus. My, how the mighty have fallen, or is it that he just doesn't have the ambition?

I think he should have consulted you about it at least!

A regular job coaching and working at SEEVIC back at your home town probably isn't the worst thing to end up doing. Pursuing a managerial career drags you all over the place, and I get the feeling that Tilly isn't looking for that.

No, and I think that's really why he's doing it. I don't think he's ever been the most ambitious of managers, and I know he's very good at training and coaching so this probably suits him down to the ground - plus it means he gets to see his kids a whole lot more than he would as a manager.

I hope the kids address him as My Lord if he deems it appropriate for them to speak to him.

Doesnt have the options more likely.

What is he meant to do, sit unemployed in the hope a job comes along?

Can't see what is wrong with Tilly taking up paid employment.

There are more managers than clubs which will always mean some have to look elsewhere .... and he is unlikely to get a job as a pundit with his limited vocabulary.

Well done Tilly on continuing your career.

Well at least he will be available to become manager of AFC Southend in a few years once Martin has totally ruined SUFC.

I feel for Tilly really. Had he gone to Norwich the year we were in the CCC, even if he hadn't been a success there he'd have been able to get jobs of the back of his success here. I know he wanted to go (and had Ron Martin let him go at the time i'd have been livid) but looking back, perhaps it would have been best for both parties had we parted then. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

FWIW, I hope one day Tilly returns to the club, not neccessarily as first team manager.

I feel for Tilly really. Had he gone to Norwich the year we were in the CCC, even if he hadn't been a success there he'd have been able to get jobs of the back of his success here. I know he wanted to go (and had Ron Martin let him go at the time i'd have been livid) but looking back, perhaps it would have been best for both parties had we parted then. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

FWIW, I hope one day Tilly returns to the club, not neccessarily as first team manager.

Maybe, maybe not.

Unfortunately there are 92 jobs going and any manager is really only good as his last season.

You just have to look at the some of the names who havent got jobs to see how cutthroat the profession is.

Maybe, maybe not.

Unfortunately there are 92 jobs going and any manager is really only good as his last season.

You just have to look at the some of the names who havent got jobs to see how cutthroat the profession is.

Unless you were a very good player, then for some reason you will be high up the odds for a new job, like Mark Hughes.

Unless you were a very good player, then for some reason you will be high up the odds for a new job, like Mark Hughes.

Indeed reputation seems to count massively for some reason. Why Hughes keeps getting jobs I have no idea.

Ticket office ?

Great news to see Tilson back involved with football .... and giving back to the game - pure class.

Back