• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Letmein

Newbie⭐
This run of results is about as poor as I can remember in 30 years of supporting the Blues. Last years end of season was poor, I have managed to erase much of the late 90's/ early 2000's from my memory, and no one who watched Southend under Ronnie Whelan, Alvin Martin or Dick Bate will have fully recovered from the shock yet, but is there a Stato out there who can tell us what our worst run ever/recently has been. Are we close yet?

We went 12 without a win in 2009-2010 season. So we have topped that now.

I have checked back 50 years so far and cant find a worse run than our current 13 without a win.

So it could well be a club record. Unless someone can find a worse run pre 1960's!?...

Last edited:

I have checked back 50 years so far and cant find a worse run than our current 13 without a win.

So it could well be a club record. Unless someone can find a worse run pre 1960's!?...
Harry are you there:winking:

Yep. Just checked all seasons since we were elected to the league in 1920.

This is the worst winless run in the clubs professional history. In all competitions.

We did however go 17 League games without a win in The Championship 2006-2007 season. But in between those we had 3 Coca Cola cup wins. Including of course the famous win over Man Ure.

Last edited:
Thanks for the stats. So Brown started with 4 wins in his first 18 games, and has now topped that with a run of 13 games without a win, in the bottom division, against the likes of Morecombe and Dagenham (no disrespect) which appears to be the worst run of games in our history. We all know it's not good enough. Where does Ron go from here?

Thanks for the stats. So Brown started with 4 wins in his first 18 games, and has now topped that with a run of 13 games without a win, in the bottom division, against the likes of Morecombe and Dagenham (no disrespect) which appears to be the worst run of games in our history. We all know it's not good enough. Where does Ron go from here?

Dave Webb?

Yep no wins in 12 and no win in 7 after a 3-0 win over Walsall after those 12.

That season ended in relegation and we're in worse form now!

This run of results is about as poor as I can remember in 30 years of supporting the Blues. Last years end of season was poor, I have managed to erase much of the late 90's/ early 2000's from my memory, and no one who watched Southend under Ronnie Whelan, Alvin Martin or Dick Bate will have fully recovered from the shock yet, but is there a Stato out there who can tell us what our worst run ever/recently has been. Are we close yet?
I have just gone back to 1983-84, on December 27th.1983 we beat Lincoln City 2-0(McDonough,Phillips.Att.2,824). but did not win another match until April 16th.1984 when we beat Bradford City 2-1(Whymark,Shepherd & Terry Gray for Brad.City.Att.2,035). In between
those two matches we played a total of 17 games with the following record WON 0, DRAWN 7, LOST 10 with a goal difference
of F.14., A.30. In the 17 matches we failed to score in eight(including 5 in a row all in February). In the 7 home matches we drew 4 & lost 3 and the biggest attendance was 2,737(Hull) with the lowest being 1,594 against Bolton Wanderers, the home games against Scunthorpe & Preston in that run also had crowds under 2,000 as did Wigan earlier that season.

I have just gone back to 1983-84, on December 27th.1983 we beat Lincoln City 2-0(McDonough,Phillips.Att.2,824). but did not win another match until April 16th.1984 when we beat Bradford City 2-1(Whymark,Shepherd & Terry Gray for Brad.City.Att.2,035). In between
those two matches we played a total of 17 games with the following record WON 0, DRAWN 7, LOST 10 with a goal difference
of F.14., A.30. In the 17 matches we failed to score in eight(including 5 in a row all in February). In the 7 home matches we drew 4 & lost 3 and the biggest attendance was 2,737(Hull) with the lowest being 1,594 against Bolton Wanderers, the home games against Scunthorpe & Preston in that run also had crowds under 2,000 as did Wigan earlier that season.

Wow. Maybe things aint that bad just yet, that is ridiculous :hilarious:

Good stats though.

STATS, STATS, STATS, STATS

Have now checked it and it's not correct........during that run without a league victory we had wins in the AMC competition (old JPT?) against Colchester and Bristol Rovers.

I'm with you ORM. Seems he cannot get the best out of the players and motivate them. The recent performances have been nothing short of abject. The division is so wide open it would be a disaster if we don't make the play offs. It's not too late to get back into a run of form but that doesn't seem likely under Brown.

And just to be clear I'm not a fan of revolving door management. If we hadn't had the resources that have been made available even under embargo then that's one thing but from what I perceive through this season's activity he has had a decent response to requests to 'strengthen' or replace. What next a midfielder because those he has now got on long term contracts aren't good enough? Either way I'm not denying the positives and the fact that key players have been persuaded to stay under contract so we win even if they do end up going.

Either way for those suggesting I get off Brown's back it's pretty damming. I'm going for win or sack on Monday

Amen to that!

I'd honestly rather give Tilson another shot on a temporary contract if we don't win on Monday.

You can't preside over the worst run in a clubs history playing league two teams and throw away a nine point cushion for a playoff spot and expect to keep your job.

Ron! Get on the blower and apologise to Steve!

most of us were fearing a relegation fight at the start of the season.

now we're calling for PB's head cos we're maybe not going to make the play-offs?

Though we have enough games left, the law of probabilities says this run must end sooner than later...

keep the faith!

Surely few were expecting a relegation fight?! Given the players we have players and the position from the previous two seasons play offs were surely a minimum.....

Surely few were expecting a relegation fight?! Given the players we have players and the position from the previous two seasons play offs were surely a minimum.....
This!

where have all these stories come from that we were expecting a relegation fight............I wasn't

Back