• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bentley 7 - Not much to do, but stood up well to save on one occasion
White 7.5 - Excellent today
Thompson 7 - Not sure I get the love, most headers tend to put us in trouble rather than clearing danger
Prosser 7.5
B Williams 7.5
Deegan 8 - Poor in the first 10 minutes, then broke up so much play and kept it simple.
Leonard 7
Payne 7.5 - Glides past people and a couple of fantastic passes wide
Weston 7
Hurst 6.5 - A bit better than recent form
Corr 7.5 - Great finish, only a couple of yards out, but quick reaction

Just a point of interest - another 2 yellow cards today - both for midfielders. I wonder how many the team has picked up now. And 1 red card so far isn't it?

Can't help thinking we are going to need a good number of players to keep the team going through the season.

Sponsors Mom is wrong pretty much every time. Dan did well but it was not a Mom performance. Deegan Thompson were the rightful contenders for me. Does anyone have a clue whether any of the sponsors who pick Mom understand the game of football?

Does anyone REALLY care

Just a point of interest - another 2 yellow cards today - both for midfielders. I wonder how many the team has picked up now. And 1 red card so far isn't it?

Can't help thinking we are going to need a good number of players to keep the team going through the season.

Today's yellows for our lads were weak, Jack got his for a "fair" foul only because their players bullied the ref into it, it was just outside their pen area and not in a dangerous position - and not for a build up of challenges: Deegan's was a reaction to an act by the Pompey player (simulation) and although not deserved for that particular incident the ref looked as if it was his "duty" to yellow Deegs.
Last week Lenny and CC got booked early on and that did cost us as both after that backed off from risk of further yellows BUT today that wasn't the scenario.
However another day, another ref and there could be more cards flashed about.

Enjoyed the game
Having a proper holding midfielder made a big difference as it allowed more freedom to those in front. Also makes an already fairly solid defence even more so. I note it's been stated that Portsmouth were poor but sometimes that's the mark of a good performance by the opposition. Actually I think Portsmouth wI'll certainly make the play offs- but really given what their budget must be they aren't spending it wisely..
best players for me Deegan and Thompson
BTW how refreshing to see a proper robust midfielder in the mode of years gone by- Deegan elbowed in the face and cut- does he roll around on the ground? No - he doesn't even go down- simply quietly informs the culprit that he might come to regret it and gets on with it.

Not to be sexist........ but ....... I think the young ladies that decided man of the match (courtesy of sponsors Paul Robinson Solicitors), just wanted a picture with Daniel Bentley! He did play well though.. but Deegan did well, along with Thompson, Williams & Payne was excellent second half

Lol, good on the girls for picking MOM Dan Bentley - as match sponsors they pay their money they can choose who they like, for whatever reasons they like - its just for fun.

From a footballing viewpoint, Jack Payne or Williams would have been my choice.
Looking forward to the Shrewsbury MOM ............ :winking:

Lol, good on the girls for picking MOM Dan Bentley - as match sponsors they pay their money they can choose who they like, for whatever reasons they like - its just for fun.

From a footballing viewpoint, Jack Payne or Williams would have been my choice.
Looking forward to the Shrewsbury MOM ............ :winking:

Agree about the MoM bit - though Portsmouth fans not at the match would probably think as a result they should have won!

Today's yellows for our lads were weak, Jack got his for a "fair" foul only because their players bullied the ref into it, it was just outside their pen area and not in a dangerous position - and not for a build up of challenges: Deegan's was a reaction to an act by the Pompey player (simulation) and although not deserved for that particular incident the ref looked as if it was his "duty" to yellow Deegs.
Last week Lenny and CC got booked early on and that did cost us as both after that backed off from risk of further yellows BUT today that wasn't the scenario.
However another day, another ref and there could be more cards flashed about.

Payne's was a booking, made no attempt to play the ball.

However what I don't understand is how Holmes wasn't booked for a blatant dive.

Also they got away with foul after foul early on with just warnings until their first booking, our first foul gets a straight card; why we're we not applicable to the same warnings.

This happens so many times and it's these inconsistencies from refs that I find extremely frustrating.

Great team effort all round from the lads,i reckon 'Our boy Jack' will put loads of bums on seats in the future,such a wonderful talent.

Whilst I agree with you I thought the ref was one of the better ones we've seen here.
I suppose he tried to be lenient early on in the game but once you have booked one you then have to be consistent.

Payne's booking was fully justified, we had piled forward, were in danger of being caught out on the break, to his credit he saw the danger and just took the guy out, professional foul and at 1-0 up towards the end of the game he took one for the team.

Payne's booking was fully justified, we had piled forward, were in danger of being caught out on the break, to his credit he saw the danger and just took the guy out, professional foul and at 1-0 up towards the end of the game he took one for the team.

Yeah but it was just outside of pompey's area and we had players back, I didn't think it was necessary at the time.

Deegan and Williams for me were the bright spots. Starting to worry about the form of Leonard. Payne adds a new dimension to the mid field with his quick feet and angled passing. Would like white to stop more of the crosses that came in down his slide. That said he did steadily improve after a shaky start against Holmes. Difficult to say if we have turned the corner. Pompey were very ordinary.

Reporting in after a win........average performance against a very poor team, there's a few on here getting a bit carried away. Don't get the love for Deegan either, accident waiting to happen that goes sideways, Conor Clifford he aint!

It is funny how people see things differently, I agreed with you about B-Williams but totally disagree about White, he was excellent today, just goes about his business with no drama, Payne's passing today was woeful at times but he made up for it a bit with his energy, looked a bit lost at times though, drifted in and out of the game.

Overall a good team performance though, first time in ages i've seen no bickering amongst players and if someone made a mistake someone else was there to step in and clear it up.

Have we found the right formula by chance with the injuries forcing most of the changes ? Deegan must play every game now surely.
Would be harsh on Clifford to keep him out as he hasn't done anything wrong, but agree Deegan looked very good and should stay in the team.

Back