• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you really going to blame that mistake on concussion? Bolger makes mistakes every time he plays and luckily until today, it hasn't cost us. He is a sloppy, lazy player that has a very short attention span

I personally think the blokes useless. That pass was comical IMO. Had the same argument on the coach home. Even if he had blurred vision, I wouldn't expect him to literally pass the ball to the feet of the opposition.

That's now Wimbledon (poor game, gave away the free-kick which led to the goal, was made to look a fool throughout by Akinfenwa), Plymouth (sent off in 15 minutes and was again poor against Marvin Morgan) and today where the bloke really has looked out of his depth when it's come to the basics.

Would love to see him prove me wrong seeing as we actually paid money for him but really can't see it happening.

Dreadful in every department. Hurst had a few classy touches but on the whole we are absolutely clueless. Don't feel the urge to rush back for another game - and as said before, some of the chanting were truly embarrassing,

Possibly the least enjoyable away day I've had. A pretty spineless performance in the first half, augmented by our own fans slagging our own players and engaging in petty racism. Second half we were better for a bit, before the game settled down to a level of drabness that is instantly forgettable. Our crowd continued with the xenophobia but now had a goalkeeper to hurl abuse at. A bit sad if you ask me. Only bright point is that the dunderheads aren't people I recognise from our hard core away support.

Wont bother marking players, I just hope PB realises that Jack Payne should be the first name on the team sheet on Saturday.

Ibenfeldt has a fractured foot as well, so we are stuck with Bolger and Thompson unless we play White there who I thought was one of our best players today.

Brown: "Cian suffered concussion and that's why he came off. He's going to have seven or eight stitches."

[LIST said:
[*]i decided to sit to the left of the goal today, not far from the boxes. The behaviour of those in box 1 in particular was a disgrace from the start, during and at the end of the game. Abuse from their mouths and gesturing the whole game, yet it was our fans who get picked out.
[/LIST]
Totally agree, the idiots in Box 1 were completely out of order, calling a child a w***er is the lowest of the low. We spoke to the police afterwards about it and they are going to take it further as quite a few people had already complained to them about Box 1.
i also agree about Bolger. I would like to see those who were abusing him as he left the pitch try and play football after a head injury that in a nightclub or on the street would have had him in an ambulance on his way to the hospital!!

[/LIST]
Totally agree, the idiots in Box 1 were completely out of order, calling a child a w***er is the lowest of the low. We spoke to the police afterwards about it and they are going to take it further as quite a few people had already complained to them about Box 1.
i also agree about Bolger. I would like to see those who were abusing him as he left the pitch try and play football after a head injury that in a nightclub or on the street would have had him in an ambulance on his way to the hospital!!

I didn't abuse him but he was as bad before the head injury. Pleas don't blame the fact he has massive lapses in concentration and makes shocking mistakes every time he plays on a head injury

The seats were uncomfortable. We were outplayed by the better team and some of our fans were disgraceful. Their fans too. Bolger looks uncomfortable on the ball - not helped by our fans screaming at him.
A disappointing day at the office. Onwards and upwards.

Think this could be a long one, so apologies in advance!

Terribly bad day at the office. Wrong team selection, have said time and time again, if Corr doesn't start then let's at least give Barnard a go from the start. We keep putting in good crosses (and we did today) but there's no-one in the middle to get a nod on one. I'm not going to have this "make Bolger a scapegoat" thing, it was very bizarre him going off and taking his shorts off and standing on the touchline for ages in his pants - but none of us realised that he had a head injury at that point. It wasn't till the head strapping came on...again...that it became clear. And he wasn't right, the blood was soon pouring down his face again, even before he played that terrible "pass".

Strangely, I thought those I've been most critical of recently actually did ok...Hurst had his best game for some time, and even Weston looked to be improved. I didn't understand why Will started, I like Will, but if Lenny was anywhere near fit, with the lack of height up top then he should have always been in there. As it was, he came in back in his old position at RB and looked completely at home. He and John White (our best player by far) were putting in some excellent crosses. I thought Tommo did ok generally, and Binyon-Williams was good going forward in the 2nd half.

Deegan looked bewildered at times today, maybe the honeymoon is over. Clifford was solid as usual and tried a few shots from distance. Coulthirst tried but there was just no option up top in the first half. Indeed, it wasn't until the enforced and early 2nd half substitutions that Blues came alive on the pitch. Jack Payne very quickly showed the kind of form that ended up giving him a L2 POTM nomination. Corr battled hard but the ref clearly had an opinion on him and gave almost everything against. We were the architects of our own downfall though today.

Bentley - 5
White - 8
Bolger - 5
Thompson - 6
Binyon-Williams - 6
Hurst - 7
Deegan - 5
Clifford - 7
Atkinson - 6
Weston - 6
Coulthirst - 5

Subs:
Lenny for Bolger - 7
Payne for Atkinson - 7
Corr for Coulthirst - 6

Officials:
Lino to our left missed loads...handballs, fouls. I found the ref weak, he didn't handle things well at all.

A final word on Luton. Personally I found the stewards ok, we were sitting over near that box with the 8 blokes in, one of whom clearly fancied himself. A number of them - and him in particular - were goading the Southend supporters, one of whom threw (or attempted to throw!) a pie at them. He and another fairly well known supporter were both spoken to by the police, yet the police did not speak to these individuals. Luton officials warned them on at least three occasions both the stewards and a club official from inside their box. Their behaviour was a disgrace and shouldn't have been tolerated. There were a lot of very angry Southend supporters at the final whistle until finally, someone from Luton made them go inside their box. Utter disgrace. Can't imagine how they will cope when Portsmouth go...they'll be over the wall and in the box before the stewards have time to react if they are treated to that kind of incitement!

Also what the heck was with the white shorts??? Our players clearly expected to wear navy hence Bolger's (and others'!) navy pants and the navy undershorts!

The seats were uncomfortable. We were outplayed by the better team and some of our fans were disgraceful. Their fans too. Bolger looks uncomfortable on the ball - not helped by our fans screaming at him.
A disappointing day at the office. Onwards and upwards.

Not just the seats - we went down the front as couldn't get my legs in to sit down comfortably - but the turnstiles too...I almost went into full scale panic when I thought I'd got stuck!

Seeing as we spent actual money on a player for once (Bolger) he's not going to be leaving anytime soon. Agree he's been poor so far this season but he's a young defender who will get better with age. Can we as proper fans start getting behind him a little bit more and not have ourselves another paul smith situation (whereby he's scared to touch the ball incase he gets ruined by certain fans). We all have the right to let our team know when they are playing badly but we should be getting behind our players, there is a fine line between booing and abusing

Dreadful first half, as poor as I can remember. There was no zip and Luton were by far the better side. Even allowing for that, we gifted them both goals which stemmed from appalling mistakes.

When Payne and Corr came on we looked better but no-one had their shooting boots on. No proper shot on target. Lame effort.

Ratings

Bentley - 5 - Some kicking dodgy, put Bolger under pressure which led to their 2nd

White - 8 - MOM. One of the few to come out with credit. Good distribution, good crosses and some very timely tackles.
Williams - 6 - Didn't do anything either good or bad really.
Thompson - 6 - Can't seem to head straight
Bolger - 4 - Started ok but deteriorated, possibly due to concussion.

Atkinson - 6 - Didn't do anything really. Subbed at half time.
Clifford - 6 - Looked off the pace in first half, had shooting opportunities in second, missed every time.
Deegan - 6 - Not as good as in previous weeks
Hurst - 6 - Poor first half, better second.

Weston - 5 - Dreadful in first half, did improve in second with Corr and Payne
Coulthirst - 2 - Absolutely awful, failed to control the ball, bottled out of challenges. Deservedly subbed.

Subs

Leonard - 7 - Gave a bit of height and urgency
Payne - 8 - Nearly MOM and only played 45 mins
Corr - 7 - Must start now. He gives us height and an outlet.

OBL was we in the same ground today? Hurst was (and has been all season) diabolical! He is slow, his crossing was off, his control is awful, his decision making at times baffles me! There was a point where going away from goal on his weaker foot he shot and it went high and wide into row z.. There was no chance in hell of scoring.

I think we need to drop him and Weston and give worrall a chance. They're both desperately out of form

OBL was we in the same ground today? Hurst was (and has been all season) diabolical! He is slow, his crossing was off, his control is awful, his decision making at times baffles me! There was a point where going away from goal on his weaker foot he shot and it went high and wide into row z.. There was no chance in hell of scoring.

I think we need to drop him and Weston and give worrall a chance. They're both desperately out of form
I agree with you totally about Worrall, and I am often critical of Hurst but - and I don't know if being at pitch height influenced the decision - I honestly thought he was better, especially 2nd half. He was getting in behind players and crossing...consistently.

I agree with you totally about Worrall, and I am often critical of Hurst but - and I don't know if being at pitch height influenced the decision - I honestly thought he was better, especially 2nd half. He was getting in behind players and crossing...consistently.

See I thoght he was poor and looks low on confidence. Dropping him may do him a favour in terms of kicking him up the arse! We shall see but I would like to see worrall soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back