• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

You can blame the players, you can blame the manager, you can blame whatever you like. The plain truth is we are not good enough.

Unfortunatly our players performances do not match our expectations of them We seem to have gone backwards since last season.

Long unbeaten runs coincide with a settled team. Chopping and changing will not get us anywhere. Sturrock knew the spine of his team I don't think Brown does. We lack a real leader and organiser at the back. We lack a set piece expert which I believe is vital in this league. We lack a consistent goalscorer. Without these three things I can't see us challenging. I'm not sure Brown understands the ingredients needed at this level. Apart from Hull he has never been successful at building a team good enough for promotion.

How predictable that the resident Shrimperzone do gooder---- Wiggy what an earth has that Got to do with Brown and SUFC if your mocking someone's charity work you really are a prize tool !!

Don't know about the finish but we keep heading that way at the moment.

jam, your penalty comment we didn't score it. that we could have is irrelevant. are we relying on pens to win now. next we'll be relying on own goals
Happy%20Smilie%20aug%202010.gif

So, that was utterly ghastly.

Lets start with the bleeding obvious. We do not and cannot score goals. For an hour we were the best team by a mile, yet created one decent chance which sadly fell to John White. The problem isn't the poor sod who plays up front. It doesn't matter who it is, he is isolated, on his own, double marked and doesn't stand a chance. If we are to play 4-5-1, one of the central three HAS to act as an attacking midfielder. Today Deegan, Timlin and Atkinson showed no desire to get forward. On several occassions Corr was in the box on his own, and Williams was the most advanced player.

Deegan, Timlin and Clifford are essentially the same player. They do the same role. Deegan, a bit of a favourite because he gets stuck in, does not have a forward move in his head and is surplus to requirements. Leonard is the best player we have and is wasted out wide. Stick in him in the centre, give him the attacking role, build your midfield around him.

Atkinson, doesn't quite know what his role is and gets lost. Feel a bit sorry for him because he clearly can play.

Brown does not know what his best team is, and as a result chops and changes. The poor sod up front gets dropped after just one game, so there is little confidence even when they do find a chance. Worrell, who looks a quality act, is the one player who seems to struggle to get a start. Which is mad.

We do cannot finish teams off. Oxford and Exeter have all taken points from games where they came from behind where we should have been out of sight by half time. Newport were as bad as I've seen this season, scored with their only chance. Once they scored, we did not know what to do and simply rolled over. They could have had more. We didn't muster a serious attack again.

Things have to change. I don't call for managers heads, I understand we are League Two for a reason. Brown comes across as a proper football man and a likeable one too. However, he needs to get a blank piece of paper and start again. We have too many midfielders in the squad, he needs to be ruthless and let two go. Deegan and one other.... He needs to work out how to play 4-5-1 with the players he has, or bring in someone to play in the hole or AM on loan. If he can't, go 4-4-2. He needs to work out how to get Hurst playing like he did for the last two seasons. If he cannot do that, then maybe it is time for a change.

Deegan, Timlin and Clifford are essentially the same player. They do the same role. Deegan, a bit of a favourite because he gets stuck in, does not have a forward move in his head and is surplus to requirements. Leonard is the best player we have and is wasted out wide. Stick in him in the centre, give him the attacking role, build your midfield around him.

Atkinson, doesn't quite know what his role is and gets lost. Feel a bit sorry for him because he clearly can play.

Agree with this LF, Deegan might appeal to a lot of supporters for his tenacious style, but both Clifford and Timlin have that in their lockers. Deegan doesn't pick a pass like Timlin does, or get forward like either of them do at times. He is surplus to requirements as I said on the Deegan contract thread the other day.

I understand that Timlin and Leonard are both coming back from injury, what about Clifford's inspired first month of the season? He's been rewarded by being benched!

Brown got it badly wrong yesterday, I don't mean with Payne not starting, but by starting Weston ahead of Barnard who had a really good game on Saturday. Why stick with playing a lone striker who, at times, is far too isolated? For goodness sake, let's have Barnard and Corr start together.

Jam - Gives me no pleasure. can you see what I mean. we continue to be unconvincing in the final third. why I said realistically the other day when we were5th, we were in a slightly, very slightly false position. but we can be good enough to be there when we are more dominant, ruthless and clinical. Oh, and perhaps a lone forward if we can get one. Lee Barnard won't be able to cope with playing continuously I'm afraid. I know forwards are hard to come by and just hope that's the reason we've failed to get one thus far.

Perhaps you could you use your influence to get PB banned from Roots Hall permanently?

So, that was utterly ghastly.

Lets start with the bleeding obvious. We do not and cannot score goals. For an hour we were the best team by a mile, yet created one decent chance which sadly fell to John White. The problem isn't the poor sod who plays up front. It doesn't matter who it is, he is isolated, on his own, double marked and doesn't stand a chance. If we are to play 4-5-1, one of the central three HAS to act as an attacking midfielder. Today Deegan, Timlin and Atkinson showed no desire to get forward. On several occassions Corr was in the box on his own, and Williams was the most advanced player.

Brown does not know what his best team is, and as a result chops and changes. The poor sod up front gets dropped after just one game, so there is little confidence even when they do find a chance. Worrell, who looks a quality act, is the one player who seems to struggle to get a start. Which is mad.

We do cannot finish teams off. Oxford and Exeter have all taken points from games where they came from behind where we should have been out of sight by half time. Newport were as bad as I've seen this season, scored with their only chance. Once they scored, we did not know what to do and simply rolled over. They could have had more. We didn't muster a serious attack again.

Things have to change. I don't call for managers heads, I understand we are League Two for a reason. Brown comes across as a proper football man and a likeable one too. However, he needs to get a blank piece of paper and start again. We have too many midfielders in the squad, he needs to be ruthless and let two go. Deegan and one other.... He needs to work out how to play 4-5-1 with the players he has, or bring in someone to play in the hole or AM on loan. If he can't, go 4-4-2. He needs to work out how to get Hurst playing like he did for the last two seasons. If he cannot do that, then maybe it is time for a change.

Great post and I agree with practically all of it apart from Brown staying. I've lost faith in the guy, he comes out with the same excuses and although you say he needs to go back to the drawing board so to speak I don't think he knows how or what to do. The constant changing of the team is ridiculous. Pick an 11 and give them a run, a chance to gel etc. we have good players, but we are not a good team at present. We are in touching distance of the play offs remarkably so, but as things stand the current situ will see us drift away from the top. Shrewsbury beat Bury 5-0 last night, does anyone honestly and confidentially feel we can beat them by even 1 or 2-0??

Also agree with a lot of what Lord Football wrote.

I posted last week that the two big problems we have (other than the lack of an Assombalonga type) is the injury to Coker and the lack of form of Leonard. Attacking full backs are essential in the game today, and as John White isn't that type of player, having Coker in the side gives us an extra dimension. Williams has done OK but he isn't Ben.
Secondly, the poor form of Leonard means PB is having to play an extra holding player (at least, he feels he needs to), whereas an on-song Lennie can do both a defensive and attacking role.
On top of that we have a lot of other players not on their game right now, such as Prosser, Hurst and Weston, for whatever reason.
Against Bury I'd like to see Barney and Shaq playing together up top, with Worral and Hurst or Weston on the other wing, and Timlin and Leonard in centre-mid. Unfortunately this system means no place for Payne, but Barney can't beat defenders for pace and Shaq can't do hold-up play/dirty work, so you need to play both. PB obviously prefers the solidity of 3 in midfield but this then means you can only have one upfront.
It's a tricky problem with the players we currently have.

Agree with this LF, Deegan might appeal to a lot of supporters for his tenacious style, but both Clifford and Timlin have that in their lockers. Deegan doesn't pick a pass like Timlin does, or get forward like either of them do at times. He is surplus to requirements as I said on the Deegan contract thread the other day.

I understand that Timlin and Leonard are both coming back from injury, what about Clifford's inspired first month of the season? He's been rewarded by being benched!

Brown got it badly wrong yesterday, I don't mean with Payne not starting, but by starting Weston ahead of Barnard who had a really good game on Saturday. Why stick with playing a lone striker who, at times, is far too isolated? For goodness sake, let's have Barnard and Corr start together.

I agree reed with the striker thought Kay, Barny was excellent on Saturday his best game since returning and it's obvious to anyone they both look better alongside another striker than as a lone striker.
The 451/433 isn't working as we simply aren't getting enough goals so start our two experienced forwards as pair in a 442 at home, getting tired of seeing a lone striker in home games continually failing.

Is it just me .... or does this seem so reminiscient of the days when we had Harold, Hooper, McDonald and Paynter ....... :'(

No, completely different for me, they were pretty much all youngsters near the start of their careers - what we have now is almost the counter opposite with Barnard and Corr!!! And at least they did all get some game time.

Also agree with a lot of what Lord Football wrote.

I posted last week that the two big problems we have (other than the lack of an Assombalonga type) is the injury to Coker and the lack of form of Leonard. Attacking full backs are essential in the game today, and as John White isn't that type of player, having Coker in the side gives us an extra dimension. Williams has done OK but he isn't Ben.
Secondly, the poor form of Leonard means PB is having to play an extra holding player (at least, he feels he needs to), whereas an on-song Lennie can do both a defensive and attacking role.
On top of that we have a lot of other players not on their game right now, such as Prosser, Hurst and Weston, for whatever reason.
Against Bury I'd like to see Barney and Shaq playing together up top, with Worral and Hurst or Weston on the other wing, and Timlin and Leonard in centre-mid. Unfortunately this system means no place for Payne, but Barney can't beat defenders for pace and Shaq can't do hold-up play/dirty work, so you need to play both. PB obviously prefers the solidity of 3 in midfield but this then means you can only have one upfront.
It's a tricky problem with the players we currently have.

I take it you weren't there last night seeing as a back 3 was played from the off to handle zebrovski playing as a wide target man. That's why white was so far back last night. Normally he picks and chooses pretty well when to get forward from full back I think, but it gives balance to the side to have one or other of the full backs more concerned with defending than attacking. What does need to change though is the midfield. It's very workmanlike at the moment, but has little in the way of creativity. Deegan was effectively a replacement for the injured timlin and leonard at the time, but a midfield 3 with all of them is too much. Clifford is the player that's different to that and he moves the ball around a lot better than any of them. The forwards aren't getting too many chances because there is nobody to create them, only stifle and harry the opposition.

As has been said, we are still not.far off the playoffs, but you would have to be extremely positive to believe we would win them !

Back