• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I think it is time to give a chance to one of our young strikers like Williams, Layne or Brown. Ideally, one of them playing up front with Corr.

How many of us know the capabilities of these players though? I know a bit about Isaac Layne as I had friends playing for Billericay last season, he didn’t get a look in up front and played on the wing when he did play. Benjamin and Sappleton were 1[SUP]st[/SUP] choice strikers and Robinson was the next. The one player in that side that looked a class above was Paul Rogers for me. Layne wasn’t particularly impressive when I saw him and we clearly purchased him with his potential in mind. Speaking to guys who played with him, their opinion is he would have to improve significantly to make an impact at this level. I know little of the other two but all these guys were acquired with their future potential in mind, Phil has changed the line up a bit lately which proves that he is willing to try things, perhaps these players just don’t look ready

I would go with the below team, but give it a few games.
Bolger and Barnard need games. The below team has goals in it!!
and young Jack and a couple of the other's are better from the bench,

Bentley
White Bolger Prosser Williams
Hurst Leonard Degnan Worrall
Barnard Corr

Subs Smith P Thompson Atkinson Timlin Payne Weston Colthurst

I'd be happy with that team.

How many of us know the capabilities of these players though? I know a bit about Isaac Layne as I had friends playing for Billericay last season, he didn’t get a look in up front and played on the wing when he did play. Benjamin and Sappleton were 1[SUP]st[/SUP] choice strikers and Robinson was the next. The one player in that side that looked a class above was Paul Rogers for me. Layne wasn’t particularly impressive when I saw him and we clearly purchased him with his potential in mind. Speaking to guys who played with him, their opinion is he would have to improve significantly to make an impact at this level. I know little of the other two but all these guys were acquired with their future potential in mind, Phil has changed the line up a bit lately which proves that he is willing to try things, perhaps these players just don’t look ready

They will most likely play in the Essex Senior Cup game at Roots Hall on Tuesday. Tickets are £3 so best buy now to avoid disappointment :winking:

Hmm, playing a team close to the top of the table and coming into the game off of a poor run of results.

Seems like the kind of game we are likely to get a result in, despite the obvious disadvantage of being at home....

1-0 to the blues (because scoring more than that would be a flaming miracle at this point!!)

Ok , hyperthetical question time.

Scenario 1 is a thrilling 4-4 draw with Barnard and Corr netting 2 each.
Scenario 2 is a very lucky 1-0 win from an own goal in which we have no shots on target from our own players.

Which is the best in the long run ?

4-4 all day long! Would excite the fans and players alike and give the final third some decent form and confidence to carry forward.

This is a real conundrum for team selection, I'm sure Phil and the team have been scratching their heads too. We have some decent players in the squad but getting them to play to their full potential and to complement each other has just not happened recently. The goalkeeper and full-backs pick themselves, but beyond that who can tell!

Over the season to date, and particularly over recent games, I would say that Deegan and Payne have been our best two midfielders, with Clifford being impressive as well so I wonder if we could build the team and formation around those three?

Maybe something like this:

Bentley

White Thompson Prosser Binman-Williams

Deegan

Leonard Clifford Atkinson

Payne

Corr​

Subs: P.Smith, Bolger, Timlin, Hurst, Coulthirst, Worrall, Barnard

With that team I think Worrall is a bit unlucky to be left out, however he would be more suited to a team that leaves out either Deegan or Payne.

Tricky one, will be fascinated to see what Phil does.

and young Jack and a couple of the other's are better from the bench,

Bentley
Barnard Corr

Subs Smith P Thompson Atkinson Timlin Payne Weston Colthurst

That starting XI will do me - with Sidebe on the bench! :omg:

This is a real conundrum for team selection, I'm sure Phil and the team have been scratching their heads too. We have some decent players in the squad but getting them to play to their full potential and to complement each other has just not happened recently. The goalkeeper and full-backs pick themselves, but beyond that who can tell!

Over the season to date, and particularly over recent games, I would say that Deegan and Payne have been our best two midfielders, with Clifford being impressive as well so I wonder if we could build the team and formation around those three?

Maybe something like this:

Bentley

White Thompson Prosser Binman-Williams

Deegan

Leonard Clifford Atkinson

Payne

Corr​

Subs: P.Smith, Bolger, Timlin, Hurst, Coulthirst, Worrall, Barnard

With that team I think Worrall is a bit unlucky to be left out, however he would be more suited to a team that leaves out either Deegan or Payne.

Tricky one, will be fascinated to see what Phil does.

The trouble with that team no support for Corr and it does not have any goals in it.

Phil
No the exact opposite, he changes the team too much PB needs to realise his best team and stick to it.
That does not just involve young players coming up through the system, but tried and tested players at this level

Swapping the same tired old strikers. He hasn't the balls to use Williams, Layne etc

Swapping the same tired old strikers. He hasn't the balls to use Williams, Layne etc

I can see some merit to having some 'fresh blood' on the bench - if we aren't in the game after 65 minutes or so then why not take a chance - but that is very different from Williams starting say and finding he is out of his depth.

Sometimes I think this team is just short of 'clicking' - I don't know what the answer is but if I did I'd ask for the same pay rate as Browny! :omg:

I can see some merit to having some 'fresh blood' on the bench - if we aren't in the game after 65 minutes or so then why not take a chance - but that is very different from Williams starting say and finding he is out of his depth.

Sometimes I think this team is just short of 'clicking' - I don't know what the answer is but if I did I'd ask for the same pay rate as Browny! :omg:

Our striker are out of thier depth already. If you don't throw the youngsters in, you won't ever know

It is true of most sports people that the younger they are the less they overthink things, they just get on with it and express themselves, nothing to lose by throwing in a youngster and letting them just get on with it.

It is true of most sports people that the younger they are the less they overthink things, they just get on with it and express themselves, nothing to lose by throwing in a youngster and letting them just get on with it.
I think Payne played like that against Oxford, no fear just played with instinct.

Now there is some hype and attention around him, things may have mentally changed for him (although I'm not certain this is the case, and he could easily come good in the next few games).

No harm in chucking in a youngster for this game.

and young Jack and a couple of the others are better from the bench,

Bentley
Barnard Corr

Close to this, but agree with the sentiment.

Bentley
White, Bolger, Prosser, Williams
Worrall, Leonard, Timlin, Hurst
Barnard, Corr

Unlucky for Clifford, but an obvious sub for Tims or Lenny. Payne on for whichever striker needs to come off. I believe Hurst can still re-discover his form of last season, but he's getting far too caught up in tracking back, our defence and midfield need to work better together.

Back