• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United manager Phil Brown fears Gary Deegan could leave

More contradiction from Brown.

So what he's saying is, if a player is here on loan that he knows won't be here after their spell he won't play them?

Oh but he does. Brainless comments, again!

Deegan > Timlin for me. Must keep him, only ball winning midfielder we have and gives us a much needed nastier edge in the middle.

Sounds like talk for his agent to me. The deal's on the table and we won't be considering your counter off so make your mind up. We've got Conor Clifford who we could use in his position so your client won't be getting a game until he decides on his future.

So what he's saying is, if a player is here on loan that he knows won't be here after their spell he won't play them?

Deegan > Timlin for me. Must keep him, only ball winning midfielder we have and gives us a much needed nastier edge in the middle.

But he isn't on loan ...

But he isn't on loan ...

Which you could argue makes it even more brainless. He's actually our player, well, he was on Saturday :dim:

And you're missing my point. What Brown is saying is, from this article anyway, it might change by the end of the week. Is that he won't play players that aren't here for an extended period of time?

Being on loan is totally different from someone who may be looking for a move.

In your scenario loan signings would never happen as you would always have permanent players on your books.

If Deegan is talking to other clubs then Brown was 100% right not to select him, and I really rate the player.

It would be a shame to lose him as he does play that role better than anyone else, but we do still have plenty of midfielders so it wouldn't be a disaster.

In your scenario loan signings would never happen as you would always have permanent players on your books.

If Deegan is talking to other clubs then Brown was 100% right not to select him, and I really rate the player.

It would be a shame to lose him as he does play that role better than anyone else, but we do still have plenty of midfielders so it wouldn't be a disaster.

That to me is how I read Brown's comments on this, yes. I'm not saying thats how I personally would want it.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts in a nutshell.

I did wonder money wise whether it had to be one more out for one more in ( another striker) always happy to see a bit more of a gnarlerj in midfield a la Peter Butler, although I remember him getting stuck in usually higher up the field, I suppose different systems at play. However if I had to choose between Deegan and another decent striker, plus Barney back, I would have to reluctantly say , good luck at Luton? Gary

Deegan is horrendously limited. First few games he worked hard and broke up play really well...then the last few games I saw him play....dross, off the pace....I would let him go. Compare him to timlin...lenny....atkinson they are all industrious and can join in attacking play too.

We'll miss his goal scoring threat.....

Haha, no we wont miss that.

Claude Makelele only scored 2 goals for Chelsea in 200 games as well though, would Lampard have had the freedom to get forward and score 200 without the likes of him doing the dirty work?

He's an out and out spoiler, whereas his competitor for the position are 80 or 90 % as good as he is at spoiling, every one of them has far more strings to their bow in addition. It's not fair to compare him to makalele because although he was a defensive minded midfielder, he used the ball well too. With deegan on the ball it's more a case of move it on ASAP to someone who knows what to do with it.

He's an out and out spoiler, whereas his competitor for the position are 80 or 90 % as good as he is at spoiling, every one of them has far more strings to their bow in addition. It's not fair to compare him to makalele because although he was a defensive minded midfielder, he used the ball well too. With deegan on the ball it's more a case of move it on ASAP to someone who knows what to do with it.

That is why it wont be a disaster to lose him.

He does what he does better than the rest but with Timlin back he wont be as missed as much.

The comparison to Makele was purely to highlight the fact that you dont have to be running with the ball or scoring goals to be a good midfielder, Deegan will obviously have far more limitations than a Premier league player, just as it would be to suggest Leonard is comparable to Lampard. Some seem to judge a midfielder solely on the attacking aspects though.

I think a midfield three of Clifford Leonard and Timlin is pretty decent and has enough defensive steel. I'm more concerned about Bolger at the back and someone to take the burden off Core.

I really don't think it works with Clifford and Leonard in the same team, they have the instinct to make their breaks forward into the same areas at the same sort of times.

That is why it wont be a disaster to lose him.

He does what he does better than the rest but with Timlin back he wont be as missed as much.

The comparison to Makele was purely to highlight the fact that you dont have to be running with the ball or scoring goals to be a good midfielder, Deegan will obviously have far more limitations than a Premier league player, just as it would be to suggest Leonard is comparable to Lampard. Some seem to judge a midfielder solely on the attacking aspects though.

I said it after his first game that he would take us backwards.....not after the event like you lot.

I said it after his first game that he would take us backwards.....not after the event like you lot.

You also said he would get sent off, that never happened did it...

Deegan hasnt taken us backwards, he has been one of our better players in a poor spell.

However because he isn't running with the ball or getting shots off some people like yourself completely fail to see the role he plays.

His long range passing is actually pretty good as well as his breaking up of play. I'd like to have him around longer as he is different to the others we have. But saying that, I wouldn't break the bank

I like Deegan but let's be honest the reason he was only on a short term deal was because of question marks over his consistency, we gave him a chance and now he's talking to other clubs, nice way to repay PB for showing faith.

On balance I would say PB got it right with the initial deal, he hasn't performed so well recently so no great loss if he goes.

Back