• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

turkishm

Director
Will this negative football under Brown take us up. If we do will this style of football work in league 1. If we don't go up, will Brown have to go at seasons end. For me im not one for sacking managers every time things are not working out, but can PB change his way of playing, to produce more goals, or maybe its just the players who are not stepping up to the plate under his system.

Can someone explain what is negative about it.

We don't score enough goals, thats blatantly clear but I dont see any evidence that's a plan or style of play but just a lack of guile and quality.

I couldnt get to the game last night due to Xmas Party time which meant I had to stay home with the kids, but at no point did the commentators say we were defensive, they said we were the better side and just lacking quality in the final third and lacked the ablility to unlock a stubborn defence.

It's a good draw last night it's not browns fault it has to be the players there the ones out there, a lot of players at other clubs say we are a strong very organised team, I heard a Plymouth player say it on talk sport this morning, it carnt be all doom and gloom all the time but in this lge you will drop points and have bore draws from time to time. And as for browns tactics if your not scoring many you have to have a solid defence and we do have that

I didn't think we were negative at all, problem is as it has been most of the season, getting the ball in the net. It was good to see a few people having a pop from distance, we all know what the problem is and hopefully, the young man from West Ham will help solve that.

I didn't think we were negative at all, problem is as it has been most of the season, getting the ball in the net. It was good to see a few people having a pop from distance, we all know what the problem is and hopefully, the young man from West Ham will help solve that.
Would you at least like PB to go 442 at home, with the new guy coming in alongside Corr, or do you call it 442 with Payne.

Bringing a winger on to play upfront as the only striker for the last 10 mins when 0 0 at home is incredibly negative and embarrassing

Bringing a winger on to play upfront as the only striker for the last 10 mins when 0 0 at home is incredibly negative and embarrassing

How is that negative?! Its one player for another, one with pace and fresh legs.

Negative, no. Good decision? No :smile:

I've run out of excuses for Brown TBH. His style of playing just doesn't suit the players we have. Two strikers up front please and see how that works for a bit.

Which then rules out Payne....

Can Phil Brown change .... Into a decent manager?

:whistling:

How is that negative?! Its one player for another, one with pace and fresh legs.

Negative, no. Good decision? No :smile:

Which then rules out Payne....

0 strikers on the pitch lowers our chances of scoring. Most certainly negative for me.

The problem is if our defence isn't spot on we have trouble getting all three points, one goal conceded and that's it, a draw at best. just looked at league 2 stats only Hartlepool at the bottom have scored less than us at home, and we want promotion.

Weston was brought on as a striker, trouble was, he reverted to being a winger. Wrong substitution for me, should have been Shaq. I thought we were 4-4-2, or at the very least 4-4-1-1. Being as immobile as he is now, Corr needs to stop dropping so deep and leaving that to others.

I didn't see last nights performance as negative but dire. Yes we had lots of possession, but the build up at times is so slow (as in sideways) that it allows the opposition to organise well, and had no ideas in the final third.

Browns tacticts of getting the ball wide for a cross to 'no one' is as pathetic, as is signing loan players (some may argue the wrong type of player) and then not playing them!

We all know that to win a league or gain promotion the team needs to score goals, and it is my opinion that no matter who plays as a striker if the chances are not created for him he won't score.

Must admit that when Brown was saying on the radio last night that he was happy with the result I was perplexed, but probably would have agreed with him if it had been an away game that he was commenting on.

My son attended last night for the 1st time in donkeys years with 4 of his friends..... none of them will be returning as they said 'it was boring with zero entertainment value'!... says it all really!

Me and my son are season ticket holders, he is ten, last night he wasn't well but insisted on going, he mows regrets that decision. This morning he woke up and we were talking about the game, he said that he couldn't really remember much about it, I actually have to agree. Burton were strong but lacked quality, we huffed and puffed, but also lacked any quality. Lost count the amount useless hoof balls we played especially first half. Then took off Corr, who I thought was doing ok and put on Weston....... He had a mare, I can't remeber the last time I saw a player twice with a clear site on goal actually turn away from goal, the guy is simply not a striker. Last night was another example of PB having one plan and one plan only. The one thing he did get right was bringing , Coker, hurst and wilko back in who I all thought played well in spells.

Brown is a terrible football manager as he lacks any invention nous or even any sensible game plan,his only thinking is dont concede and try and pinch the game.

These type of managers are killing football as hard pressed fans pay to hopefully watch an exciting match with goals thrown in yet we are served up with at the Hall a pathetic excuse for a football match.

Yesterday I got home at just past 5 and we took about 1 second to decide to blow the game out and in all honesty we ain't returning until Phil has done one.

Brown is a terrible football manager as he lacks any invention nous or even any sensible game plan,his only thinking is dont concede and try and pinch the game.

These type of managers are killing football as hard pressed fans pay to hopefully watch an exciting match with goals thrown in yet we are served up with at the Hall a pathetic excuse for a football match.

Yesterday I got home at just past 5 and we took about 1 second to decide to blow the game out and in all honesty we ain't returning until Phil has done one.

That's your choice, I happen to think it's a wrong one. You support a team, regardless of results, though obviously winning helps.

Given Sturrock was vilified on here for his style of play despite us scoring freely (certainly in the play off season) I just don't get what people want.

Yesterday wasn't thrilling but Brown has us trying to play from the back and keep possession. I would like us to have a pacy striker alongside Corr but to say Brown is clueless is clearly wrong.

The problem with 4-4-2 is that Payne always looks poor in that formation since he isn't good defensively, plus he can't track back quickly enough, he's an attacking midfielder which means only certain formations suit him, if we went 4-4-2 Payne would have to be dropped.

God some people love to moan, get over it! We all get frustrated but if we win the next game your be back we are southend not Chelsea!!

I fully agree with those who have said we don't play a negative style. The problem is we are badly lacking goals. I'm not knocking Corr at all, he did a great job for the team last night winning virtually every flick-on and to a Blues shirt. With one up front though (and not the most mobile of strikers either!) the onus is on the wide players and midfielders to get forward and chip in with goals. Last night there were good opportunities for someone to pull the trigger and they shirked it, whether that's due to lack of confidence or not I don't know. Has Shaq run over Brown's cat though? Personally I feel with Payne behind him (we all know he can thread a pass) and Hurst and Worrall wide I really do think Coulthirst would get goals in this team now - plus he'd also add that pace to get in behind. We're so predictable with Corr on his own up top and we're always playing in front of the opposition back four - that's much easier to defend.

Yes Coulthirst missed chances earlier in the season but at least he was getting in to positions to miss, sooner or later he was going to hit a few goals and that would have boosted his confidence. I'd also like to see him down the middle in his natural position, one he has hardly played in for us.

Surely sooner or later Brown has to give him a chance. Failing that I guess we'll have to hope Elliot Lee can do the business if he signs.

Back