• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Will the Queen abdicate during her Christmas speech?

Will Liz abdicate

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
She won't abdicate. She see's it as her duty to carry on until her death. And quite rightly so and long may she reign.

As an aside. I'm astonished this thread got as far as post #39 before the first 'it's all about me me me' post appeared.

She won't abdicate. She see's it as her duty to carry on until her death. And quite rightly so and long may she reign.

As an aside. I'm astonished this thread got as far as post #39 before the first 'it's all about me me me' post appeared.

Can;t see her stepping down, but we're in good hands for the future whatever happens.

No one does this like us Brits! Celebrated worldwide and really stirs the passions.

[video=youtube;fx4AiDpAYmc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx4AiDpAYmc[/video]

I have a right to an opinion on this matter.

Of course you do, although you do look a little silly when you say that after stating 'no one cares' in your first post in the thread.

I'm glad you recognize my right to post an opinion on this thread.

It's a fact that 25% of the current UK population would be quite happy to abolish the monarchy.That's a significant minority by anybody's standards.

That figure was of course much higher at the time of Diana's death and at various other times in history eg when Queen Victoria was in mourning after the death of Prince Albert.

FYI,in my 20's,I spent 18 months working as an unqualified social worker,including six months at a Cyrenian Night Shelter for the Homeless, where I came across a lot of people with genuine mental health issues.

The idea that I might have problems of that nature is not only insulting but also laughable,matey.

That's the thing about statistics, it depends on who you believe, and when the poll is taken.

However, even with your numbers above it also means that 75% support the monarchy, which is a significant majority by anybody's standards.

As Firestorm says, the speech is pre recorded. It is shown all over the commonwealth, so it's hardly likely that she'd do it in the Xmas speech, as that would mean Fiji finding out before us!

That's the thing about statistics, it depends on who you believe, and when the poll is taken.

However, even with your numbers above it also means that 75% support the monarchy, which is a significant majority by anybody's standards.

That's certainly approximately the figure now (not mine btw,from Wiki).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republicanism_in_the_United_Kingdom

Whereas,IRRC, the figures were around 2/3's in favour of abolition at the time the royals mishandled D's death.

Personally I think it makes little difference if she goes and another of her kin takes her place, it would only be significant if they all agreed to come off the mega dole and get full time proper jobs.

A rhetorical question, (whether pretended or not), is not a statement.

(The clue is in the name).

Sadly, the clue is in the poster.

A rhetorical question is a figure of speech in the form of a question that is asked in order to make a point, rather than to elicit an answer. You used a rhetorical question to make a statement... as you well know.

Anyway, I'm out. You know what you intended and you knew how it would lend itself to the thread.

A rhetorical question, (whether pretended or not), is not a statement.

(The clue is in the name).

So it was a genuine request to know who cares whether the Queen abdicates or not .
Ok ill start
Apart from listing all the Royals , all the members of parliament and the house of Lords there's Mavis Dibble of Runcorn.

So we don't turn this Thread into a list of names of those who care ,one way or another, may I suggest we all just PM you with the answer to your question ?

Sadly, the clue is in the poster.

A rhetorical question is a figure of speech in the form of a question that is asked in order to make a point, rather than to elicit an answer. You used a rhetorical question to make a statement... as you well know.

Anyway, I'm out. You know what you intended and you knew how it would lend itself to the thread.

According to Godfrey Howard's The Good English Guide:-"A rhetorical question is a false question,since everyone is assumed to accept there could only be one answer: "Don't we all know that nothing is certain except death and taxes?" People are inclined to ask rhetorical questions presumptiously,assuming that everyone agrees there could only be one answer.If that's not the way you see it,turn the rhetorical question into a real question by giving your own point of view."

(My bolded text).

Sorry but there's nothing there, about a rhetorical question being a statement,as such.

In any case,I'm fully aware that an extremely large majority do actually "care" if the Queen abdicates or not.Not myself though.

Really looking forward to tomorrow's speech. Apparently, she's going to confirm her hatred for Thatcher and her new column in the Guardian. Gawd luv 'er.

Here' s what people actually think:-

"While just 26% think the country would be better off getting rid of the royal family, 63% say the opposite."

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2011/apr/24/monarchy-still-relevant-say-britons

From Sunday 24 April 2011.

Didn't I read something the other day from you that that said "News is hardly news if it's out-of-date"

ICM Research interviewed a random sample of 1,003 adults across the United Kingdom aged 18 and over by telephone on 15-17 April 2011

Not a big number is it Barna.

From Sunday 24 April 2011.

Didn't I read something the other day from you that that said "News is hardly news if it's out-of-date"

Not a big number is it Barna.

It's statistically significant.

If you want to find a more recent poll you can find one in the Torygraph but the findings are pretty similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back