• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Because in my view he has been supported by RM more than Sturrock was, been given resources, even money to spend. This squad should be good enough to get out this league, therefore if we fail again like last season then i would rather not watch another season with him in charge. PS got sacked for being in a similar position, with less resources and after getting us to Wembley

Has he though? I was told by a very reliable source that the budget was cut after Sturrocks 1[SUP]st[/SUP] season and was cut again for Browns 1[SUP]st [/SUP]full season, That would suggest Brown was working on a lower budget in his 1[SUP]st[/SUP]season than any Sturrock season and even if the budget has increased significantly I doubt he has spent as much on wages as Sturrock did in his tenure. We don’t know for sure so both of us are speculating, I’d suggest Ron has become wise to the “We are so close, if you bring in 2 players for me we will be there” and has set the budget to allow for this.

Sturrocks first two seasons were pretty stable and things were indeed still tight last year.

Things have been by the looks of it fairly stable this year.

However the thing is we are restricted all the time by is income, Phil Brown said this week we are limited to what we can spend because of our revenue levels, not because of how Ron is backing him.

He has a decent budget though and a big backrooms staff so has been backed this season enough that it cant be an excuse.

However we certainly arent a rich club who should expect to be sitting in the top 3 because of our massive resources.

Sturrocks first two seasons were pretty stable and things were indeed still tight last year.

Things have been by the looks of it fairly stable this year.

However the thing is we are restricted all the time by is income, Phil Brown said this week we are limited to what we can spend because of our revenue levels, not because of how Ron is backing him.

He has a decent budget though and a big backrooms staff so has been backed this season enough that it cant be an excuse.

However we certainly arent a rich club who should expect to be sitting in the top 3 because of our massive resources.

This is the same for all clubs in the division under the wage cap.

Two points to remember here:
1. We'll have one of the top 5 wage caps in the division and a substantial advantage over most teams in the division
2. Getting knocked out of every cup competition at the first attempt lowers your wage cap the subsequent season

The Brown out brigade are starting to look really silly now.....:hilarious:

Funny how none of them have posted on this thread and said they were wrong. Probably praying for a couple of defeats so they can moan again

Why is that then ?

We were playing very poor football and unable to score but Phil switched to 442 and everything ATM is rosy.

Why is that ? Well it's because PB addressed the problem and has turned it around. I think those supporters that refused to attend while we went through a barren spell should now be made to sit in the South Lower #justanopinion :winking:

Because he has a northern accent and unusually "tanned" skin - many decided on day one they would not support PB. Some faces will never fit with some people. That is football.

Why is that ? Well it's because PB addressed the problem and has turned it around. I think those supporters that refused to attend while we went through a barren spell should now be made to sit in the South Lower #justanopinion :winking:

I agree. Brown has shown to be stubborn in his thinking but he has had a re-think by the looks of it (probably after a bollocking from Uncle Ron) and gone to 4-4-2, got in the players to suit that formation, and it's paying dividends. Just a shame he didn't see the light 4 months ago.

I suppose that's a problem with the transfer window. However much you want to get fresh faces in...

Why is that then ?

We were playing very poor football and unable to score but Phil switched to 442 and everything ATM is rosy.

That's not what you said against York.

let's hope it does continue against better teams than Cheltenham Or the rants will be back.

I agree. Brown has shown to be stubborn in his thinking but he has had a re-think by the looks of it (probably after a bollocking from Uncle Ron) and gone to 4-4-2, got in the players to suit that formation, and it's paying dividends. Just a shame he didn't see the light 4 months ago.

Think you'll find the bollocking was the other way round. Time to end this ridiculous zone myth about PB not wanting strikers.

I'm sure PB was aware of the problems a long way back and 4-4-2 has been tried but if the players you want aren't available you need to play the odds. Percentage football can be dire but if it gets you through then that's what you do. Its not the system, its the players and we now have 2 good front men.

Think you'll find the bollocking was the other way round. Time to end this ridiculous zone myth about PB not wanting strikers.

Is that knowledge or your perception ?

The one fact that undermines that totally is we brought in otoole. If Brown was so desperate then why not bring a striker in instead.

Is that knowledge or your perception ?

The one fact that undermines that totally is we brought in otoole. If Brown was so desperate then why not bring a striker in instead.
Based on Knowledge. Master stroke by RM. If we had a better strike force in August then we would have been top in Oct/Nov and would have lost PB to sayBirmingham or someone. We've done our 0-0 penance, now we can enjoy the glorious run in to league 1
Happy%20Smilie%20aug%202010.gif

Prediction of a top 5 finish looking fairly clever :Worthy:

Also everyone predicting 442 was the turning point, not for me, think we looked more solid with 451.

Still believe Brown will take us up. But if he doesn't, he deserves another season next year. A couple of great loans/signings from Brown has turned our season around.

Also everyone predicting 442 was the turning point, not for me, think we looked more solid with 451.

Still believe Brown will take us up. But if he doesn't, he deserves another season next year. A couple of great loans/signings from Brown has turned our season around.

Yeh the striker that everyone wqs calling for for.months?

Ha! Solid maybe, but without any sort of creative or goal scoring threat. We've looked more dangerous and scored more goals with 442, and there is no way in hell that Corr and Pigott would ever have scored the amount of goals they have since January if either was playing up front alone. Corr said himself that the lone striker role is beyond a League 2 striker and that having 2 strikers brings more out of him and the other forwards in the squad.

We should be 5th or above because our squad is at that level relative to the rest of the division but I still say that we are where we are in spite of some of Brown's decisions this season and that a more tactically astute coach and better man manager would have gotten more out of this squad.

Ha! Solid maybe, but without any sort of creative or goal scoring threat. We've looked more dangerous and scored more goals with 442, and there is no way in hell that Corr and Pigott would ever have scored the amount of goals they have since January if either was playing up front alone. Corr said himself that the lone striker role is beyond a League 2 striker and that having 2 strikers brings more out of him and the other forwards in the squad.

We should be 5th or above because our squad is at that level relative to the rest of the division but I still say that we are where we are in spite of some of Brown's decisions this season and that a more tactically astute coach and better man manager would have gotten more out of this squad.

Very true, yet we have slid down the form table since doing so and lost pace with the top teams.

You get promoted getting points, not by how many goals you score, and since changing to 442 we have scored plenty without picking up as many points.

I personally prefer 442 and like the fact we score goals, but it hasnt helped our promotion push.

Back