• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Moment of the game was definitely Timlin trying to keep the ball, going down, and trying to put his head on the ball despite 3 Wycombe players trying to kick it away. Said everything about the legend of a man that he is. Top performance and fantastic result. The goal from Pigott couldn't have been taken any better, and defensively the only way they were getting anything past us was from a set piece and their goal was superb but very lucky to go in. Atmosphere was top class, fans didn't stop singing the whole way through. What an incredible day to be a Southend fan, so proud of the team. Moments like yesterday are what we go through all the pain and suffering of the bad times for, got to be one of the top moments I've had as a football fan. Superb.

Bentley 9 Top save at the end of the 90 and saviour in the penalties
White 7.5 Solid and offered a threat going forward late on
Bolger 7 Looked like he might have one of those games early on but grew into it
Barrett 9 Won everything, nothing was stopping him yesterday!
Coker 8 Solid at the back and got the ball forward whenever possible
Worrall 8 Really got at them with his pace and skill
Atkinson 7.5 Worked hard as he always does, brought more solidity to the game
Leonard 8.5 His tackle late on just before the goal was a game saving tackle, didn't stop running and was class
Timlin 9 Fought harder than anyone, urged everyone else on, showed why he's a leader and a legend
McLaughlin 8 Surprised to see him go off, got at them with his skill but drifted central too much later on
Corr 8 Won a lot of headers but struggled up top on his own

Subs
Pigott 8.5 Fantasticly taken goal, supported Corr and brought more threat to our attack
Weston 8 Got at them as we needed them to can take full credit for the goal, too many other players would have just hit the ball in the box rather than run at them
Payne 7.5 Not a Jack Payne kind of game really, but took his penalty very well and wore them out with his dribbling

A very close game, very tactical in the first 90, Brown managed it well though I wasn't too sure his subs were spot on. Couldn't see where a goal was going to come from but what a moment it was. That's what football is all about.

Corr 4 won nothing in the air kept falling over, no pace and no penalty either - not sure how he stayed on

You do know Barry Corr was the big guy in the yellow shirt with the number 10 on the back and not one of the two play at centre back for the team with the blue shirts right?

No pace and no penalty? Maybe Bentley should get a 4 too ...

Bentley 8, forget the penalty saves just think back to the tip over the bar and the extra £££££ we will get on the strength of yesterday
White 7, well done skip
Bolger 8, and my MOM. remember this man was almost public enemy #1 a few months back. The Mark of a quality player providing stability in the madness around him
Barrett 7, would have been a six but for his sheer enthusiasm and drive. He was being torn apart
Coker 6, did not too much wrong but then again not too much right. Two crucial clearances earned him the six
Leonard 6, some crucial tackles but largely the game passed by him
Timlin 6, he has had several cup final over the last few games so we will give him the quiet game
Worral 7, despite close attention provided an outlet
McGlaughlin 7, glimpses of quality
Atkinson 7, wanted the ball, wanted him to do a little bit more though
Corr 7, to lead the line on his own at Wembley, but for the ref a goal disallowed. Didn't win nearly enough headers but had the cool head with 30 seconds to go. Hold your head up high Barry my son

Weston 7, up against a great right back. We only needed one moment of quality and we got it
Piggott 7 for the goal, before that he was largely not at the races apart from one shot
Payne 5. The only wrong sub in the game. Crying out for Deegan. Too lightweight

Fans 11/10
Wembley 3/10 - been there enough times. Couldn't find the ticket office, couldn't find a steward that knew where the ticket office was, refreshments shut at 90 minutes FFS. 3 for the seat and the view only

Can't disagree more with this and good job you are not phil Brown. At that stage of the game we needed a goal, who is more likely to score Payne or Deegan...............hmmm.......?

Also going to penalties, Payne is the best penalty taker in the club (according to Brown), Deegan would he have taken one...? Probably before Corr, but would he have scored?

The result will show that we are in League 1 now. If he had made other changes, who knows?

A amazing day, a amazing team and a amazing finish! It's never a dull day in the Sufc world! Think it was pretty much even in normal time, really couldn't separate the two teams.
After wycombe scored I as everyone else was demoralised, and thought that was it. Until the pig made history!!

thought bents was superb and extremely unlucky for their goal, as I've said on another thread in all honesty I tjought BBBC had a poor game, maybe if I get to watch it on tv at some point my opinion will change as others have said. Coker didn't seem himself for much of the match but forgot about that all after that tackle to keep us in the game! Not the most spectacular performer we've seenfrom the boys but a dedicated hearty warriors performance from all And they bloody well deserve that cup!

I thought Deegan would have done a good job in the game, but not to be brought in at that point, we needed a goal, Payne has done well as an impact sub, and he scored his penalty too.

Bentley 8, forget the penalty saves just think back to the tip over the bar and the extra £££££ we will get on the strength of yesterday
White 7, well done skip
Bolger 8, and my MOM. remember this man was almost public enemy #1 a few months back. The Mark of a quality player providing stability in the madness around him
Barrett 7, would have been a six but for his sheer enthusiasm and drive. He was being torn apart
Coker 6, did not too much wrong but then again not too much right. Two crucial clearances earned him the six
Leonard 6, some crucial tackles but largely the game passed by him
Timlin 6, he has had several cup final over the last few games so we will give him the quiet game
Worral 7, despite close attention provided an outlet
McGlaughlin 7, glimpses of quality
Atkinson 7, wanted the ball, wanted him to do a little bit more though
Corr 7, to lead the line on his own at Wembley, but for the ref a goal disallowed. Didn't win nearly enough headers but had the cool head with 30 seconds to go. Hold your head up high Barry my son

Weston 7, up against a great right back. We only needed one moment of quality and we got it
Piggott 7 for the goal, before that he was largely not at the races apart from one shot
Payne 5. The only wrong sub in the game. Crying out for Deegan. Too lightweight

Fans 11/10
Wembley 3/10 - been there enough times. Couldn't find the ticket office, couldn't find a steward that knew where the ticket office was, refreshments shut at 90 minutes FFS. 3 for the seat and the view only

I can't give Bolger MOM. Yes he was a rock at the back but his distribution was woeful. So many times he just kicked the ball aimlessy upfield and Wycombe got possession back. Yes, he did play a lot of diagonal balls, obviously been told to do that but it was the aimless punts that had me marking him down slightly.

I might have it wrong but I thought Ingram was wycombes no1 keeper and had been in good form for them this season.. Why didn't he play? Or am I way off the mark
You're right, he's been out injured and missed all of the play-off games. Who knows how he would have fared in a shoot-out.

I can't give Bolger MOM. Yes he was a rock at the back but his distribution was woeful. So many times he just kicked the ball aimlessy upfield and Wycombe got possession back. Yes, he did play a lot of diagonal balls, obviously been told to do that but it was the aimless punts that had me marking him down slightly.

What about the one that went in the top corner in the penalty shoot-out:winking:

My first match of the season, after that I really don`t think I could take another. Like others, I didn`t think it was a particularly good advert for League Two football but as I have said before, this was all about the result....that`s all that mattered. NEVER saw us getting bck into the game after they had scored, we seemed to get more and more desperate, frantic and frustrated. As I said on another thread, I spent the last five minutes of extra-time coming to terms with defeat and puting my coat on, ready to leave on the whistle. Like everyone else I went bananas when we scored but after having assured myself of defeat, the reprieve was somewhat difficult to believe. No sooner had I come to terms with the reality of penalties, than we were already one down due to Coker`s miss. Then, I hardly had the time to yet AGAIN come to terms with defeat before we had won it. TOTALLY UNBELIEVABLE!!!! One of Blues greatest days, just SO happy and privileged I was there to witness it.

My first match of the season, after that I really don`t think I could take another. Like others, I didn`t think it was a particularly good advert for League Two football but as I have said before, this was all about the result....that`s all that mattered. NEVER saw us getting bck into the game after they had scored, we seemed to get more and more desperate, frantic and frustrated. As I said on another thread, I spent the last five minutes of extra-time coming to terms with defeat and puting my coat on, ready to leave on the whistle. Like everyone else I went bananas when we scored but after having assured myself of defeat, the reprieve was somewhat difficult to believe. No sooner had I come to terms with the reality of penalties, than we were already one down due to Coker`s miss. Then, I hardly had the time to yet AGAIN come to terms with defeat before we had won it. TOTALLY UNBELIEVABLE!!!! One of Blues greatest days, just SO happy and privileged I was there to witness it.

You will be ok, there aren't any more this season :winking:

My ratings -

Bentley - 8 - Didn't have much to do but kept us in it late on and saved those penalties (although could possibly have done better with one of the earlier ones)

White - 8 - Captains role, good and solid.
Barrett - 7 - Passion and commitment in abundance was struggled at times against Hayes
Bolger - 8.5 - MOM - Commanding and has really won the fans over after his dodgy first few months
Coker - 8 - Missed the pen but what a tackle to keep us in it

McLaughlin - 6 - Did very little in my opinion. Prefer to see him coming off the bench.
Leonard - 7 - Not as good as he has been lately
Timlin - 6 - Quiet game for Ironman
Stkinson - 7 - Industrious but am not sure he will be strong enough for L1
Worrall - 6 - Again, quiet and hopefully will benefit from a full pre-season

Corr - 8 - Unlucky to have a goal ruled out, should have had a penalty, tireless work rate, great knock down for the Pig.

Subs -

In my opinion Brown got these spot on.

Pigott - 7 -I've seen milk turn faster but he did have a couple of chances and has written himself into SUFC folklore with that goal
Weston - 6 - Not as effective as he has been lately but still put over the cross for the equaliser
Payne - 6 - Won the ball well to play Weston in for th

The occasion was big, the result bigger. The game was dire and having looked at the posts so far then many saw different things to me.

Bentley 7 - The lad did very well and on the biggest stage of his career so far. The goal he conceded was just one of those things and not his fault at all. A top drawer tip-over and a good pair off hands throughout. A great future awaits.
White 7 - Not a fan of JW's but he did well and looked solid.
Bolger 7 - The lad is shaping up well. Solid and dependable throughout. On the first day of the season at Accrington, I predicted he would become our best defender. I still think he will. Committed and still very young.
Barrett 7 - Played well, read the game well, I hope he stays next season on a pay as you play deal. We may not use him but he will be good for our other defenders to have around.
Coker 7 - Not quite his usual attacking contribution but I get the impression that was by instruction. Still defended solidly and as for the pen miss at least he had the bottle to take it.
Leonard 6-Little expression and appeared anchored. Nothing dreadful just nothing wonderful.
Timlin 8 - Some things worked for him today and some things did not but the ground he covered was immense and his effort and commitment brought a lot to the side.
Worral 7 - Shame for me that he went off. Looked like the boy most likely to make something happen.
Mcglaughlin 7 - Showed some real good touches and has bags of skill. A bit in and out of the game.
Atkinson 6 - nothing particularly wrong but lacked endeavour and probably worked less than his usual.
Corr 4 - Inept. Could not head the ball, control the ball and was one of Wycombes best assets. I have defended him in recent times but that was simply awful.

Weston 7 - Looked nothing until the run and cross which earned his salary for the whole of the past season.
Piggot 7 - Is a better option up front for us. I think he will develop into a very useful player.
Payne 6 - Bit like a school report, did ok but must do better.

PB - Yes I know we got promotion but I think, again, we achieved it despite him. One up front and that being Corr was wrong. I have no faith in him in Lg1. Our side can perform far better and he is the chains that stop them.

Referee - absolute garbage.

The occasion was big, the result bigger. The game was dire and having looked at the posts so far then many saw different things to me.

Bentley 7 - The lad did very well and on the biggest stage of his career so far. The goal he conceded was just one of those things and not his fault at all. A top drawer tip-over and a good pair off hands throughout. A great future awaits.
White 7 - Not a fan of JW's but he did well and looked solid.
Bolger 7 - The lad is shaping up well. Solid and dependable throughout. On the first day of the season at Accrington, I predicted he would become our best defender. I still think he will. Committed and still very young.
Barrett 7 - Played well, read the game well, I hope he stays next season on a pay as you play deal. We may not use him but he will be good for our other defenders to have around.
Coker 7 - Not quite his usual attacking contribution but I get the impression that was by instruction. Still defended solidly and as for the pen miss at least he had the bottle to take it.
Leonard 6-Little expression and appeared anchored. Nothing dreadful just nothing wonderful.
Timlin 8 - Some things worked for him today and some things did not but the ground he covered was immense and his effort and commitment brought a lot to the side.
Worral 7 - Shame for me that he went off. Looked like the boy most likely to make something happen.
Mcglaughlin 7 - Showed some real good touches and has bags of skill. A bit in and out of the game.
Atkinson 6 - nothing particularly wrong but lacked endeavour and probably worked less than his usual.
Corr 4 - Inept. Could not head the ball, control the ball and was one of Wycombes best assets. I have defended him in recent times but that was simply awful.

Weston 7 - Looked nothing until the run and cross which earned his salary for the whole of the past season.
Piggot 7 - Is a better option up front for us. I think he will develop into a very useful player.
Payne 6 - Bit like a school report, did ok but must do better.

PB - Yes I know we got promotion but I think, again, we achieved it despite him. One up front and that being Corr was wrong. I have no faith in him in Lg1. Our side can perform far better and he is the chains that stop them.

Referee - absolute garbage.

I think exactly the same as you and I worry for next season unless we play 442 week in week out. We were poor at 451 yesterday, Corr very isolated. It's no coincidence we were better when Pigott came on and we switched to 442

We won the game by playing 451 and then switching to 442.

We only conceded when we'd gone to 442.

For me, Brown got it spot on.

We won the game by playing 451 and then switching to 442.

We only conceded when we'd gone to 442.

For me, Brown got it spot on.

Oh dear. So are you saying because we went 442, the referee failed to give a blatant free kick on Leonard, and because we went 442 the ball unluckily hit Bentley's back and went in the net? You are chatting rubbish.

Oh dear. So are you saying because we went 442, the referee failed to give a blatant free kick on Leonard, and because we went 442 the ball unluckily hit Bentley's back and went in the net? You are chatting rubbish.

No more rubbish than a lot of comments on this thread. Brown is woefully underappreciated. I didn't favour his appointment (more as I saw it as a lose / lose ie he'd be crap or he'd be good and bugger off) but we have a manager who has brought solidity, got us trying to play from the back, got the team fighting for each other, is adaptable in his formations, got the players unbelievably fit so they can fight to end..... To say any bloke in charge playing 442 every game would make us better is incredibly naive.

Back