• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Obviously, anything is possible but there do seem to be lots of ifs and buts about this story......... "Phil Brown is attempting to bring former Brighton & Hove Albion striker Craig Mackail-Smith to the club on trial." " I would like to take a look at him if possible." "Tf you can get him back to the level he was at a couple of years ago........" “.......He broke his ankle and he hasn’t really got back to it since then." “But with a good pre-season behind him who knows what he can do so hopefully he will be coming in soon.”

We shall see. I wait with interest but I'm not holding my breath!

I don't see why he would be a better punt than Barnard to be honest, similar situation, career stalled and if he's done so well on trial at Luton why haven't they moved quickly to sign him up ?

Possibly because Mackail-Smith failed to score regularly in the Championship despite playing a fair amount while Barnard couldn't get a game at a League 2 club and was stuck behind someone who some believe can't perform in League 1 and someone who failed to score in over a dozen games.

He probably hasn't signed for Luton because he is waiting for other offers, no point signing for the first team who show a bit of interest in you if you believe you can do better. John Still has already come out saying he wants to sign him.

Don't know how I feel about this one, no harm in giving him a trial though. Of course I'd rather us sign someone who banged them in at a decent level last season, but anyone who would have scored 10+ goals in the Championship or League 1 last season would be unrealistic. Will Gregg got 22 goals in 50 games for MK Dons and recently moved to Wigan, with fees reports to be nearly £1m. Benik Afobe is other who managed 10 in 22 games for MK Dons and Wolves signed him for £2m. Even someone like Andy Williams, 21 goals from 46 games, was let go by Swindon because his wages were too high. Take out the finances and even signing someone like Jordi Hiwula or Devante Cole on loan from Man City would be near impossible with Championship clubs hoping to sign them after good seasons in League 1.

The last two seasons he was in League one he scored 23 and 27 goals. That's a pretty good return. However, just because he has done it before doesn't mean he'll be able to do it again.

It is promising though.

How would people feel about the grandfather of his child attending?

Lots of comments here , including quotes from Judas himself.

In answer to your question, call me petty but I would rather he didn't come - unless in attending it made CMS play better. Apart from anything else it would turn the focus of our vocal support away from the team. Can't see it being a great atmosphere

Pretty sure we would have to break the bank wages wise for him and Hunt. Is he hungry enough is the big question??

Like a few have said, it's time these sort of players were on a low wage, with the money made up with goal bonuses. See how they play then!

Blimey, looks like he's been on the burgers since the last time I saw him. Class finish tho, from a class player.

Thought he looked good to be honest. Well worth Phil considering - if he looks good in training, does ok in a match or two and can pass a medical the I can't see why we wouldn't be interested. Wages and that medical are the two big problems really (that's assuming he would even choose us ultimately)

I don't mind a striker being selfish, as normally they are the last man... Recon he will got to Luton, they have a really good burger van...

He never looked the thinnest player to be fair. I don't think he looks that overweight in that Luton footage. Definitely worth a trial.

If and a big if he can get fit, then he would be a very useful addition. However as some have mentioned I think if it comes down to wages, we cant compete with Lootown.

If and a big if he can get fit, then he would be a very useful addition. However as some have mentioned I think if it comes down to wages, we cant compete with Lootown.

Perhaps not all players are like Barry Corr and actually still want to challenge themselves at a higher level. Just perhaps.

Personal information
Full nameCraig Anthony Robert Mackail-Smith[SUP][1][/SUP]
Date of birth25 February 1984 (age 31)[SUP][2][/SUP]
Place of birthWatford, England
Height5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)[SUP][3][/SUP]
Playing positionStriker
Youth career
1999–2000St Albans City
Senior career*
YearsTeamApps[SUP]†[/SUP](Gls)[SUP]†[/SUP]
2000–2003St Albans City31(1)
2003–2004Arlesey Town
2004–2007Dagenham & Redbridge107(38)
2007–2011Peterborough United185(80)
2011–2015Brighton & Hove Albion103(21)
2014→ Peterborough United (loan)3(0)
National team[SUP]‡[/SUP]
2005–2006England C7(4)
2011–Scotland7(1)

Not for me thanks. Possibly another well past best , similar event to Barnard . Maybe costly + medical issues. Happy to be proved wrong, but I said Barnard and Coulthirst wouldn't do anything for us before a ball was kicked last year. Will eat some humble if wrong.

Back