• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Phil Brown attempting to make Southend sexier than Chicago to sign Noel Hunt

This makes interesting reading.

https://www.mlsplayers.org/images/July%2015,%202015%20Salary%20Information%20-%20Alphabetical.pdf

The average wage of an MLS player is only about $150,000 and a lot earn far less than that.

However the likes of Gerrard earn $6m and even Bradley Wright Phillips can earn $600,000 there, which is £7k a week, plus must be a good experience.

Very interesting- there are a couple of big earners at a club, then a couple on I guess L1 wages and then not a lot
Looking at what Chicago pay then if Droghba goes then a good chance that there would be no space for Hunt. If you look at it the number of by FL1 and above standards the number of available places across the MLS is quite small with a relatively large number of potential takers?

By the way Chicago Fire currently has 2 open international slots on their roster (max 8 but can be traded with other clubs).

I would think any US club trying to tempt UK based players over there is going to offer half decent money, even to a relative unknown. They're probably offering Championship level wages to him. I would guess the argument PB would put to him is the US will still be there in a couple of years, as 34 seems to be about the average age for UK players going there! Why not have a couple of years of proper competitive footy here and be a big fish in our small pond, and then pop over there for a last pay day. If he goes there first he almost certainly won't get a league club here if he comes back in a couple of years. That said I still can't see him choosing Southend over Chicago..

Whist I want PB and the club to sell the plus points of playing for us....there must come a point when the player involved gives a positive inclination towards us. If not, then he doesn't really want to play for us and may just be using us as a bargaining chip for elsewhere. Or it's vice versa... and we are the ones getting played for a better deal.

Whist I want PB and the club to sell the plus points of playing for us....there must come a point when the player involved gives a positive inclination towards us. If not, then he doesn't really want to play for us and may just be using us as a bargaining chip for elsewhere. Or it's vice versa... and we are the ones getting played for a better deal.

Which is why PB has now said if he does here back in the next 24 hrs he will start pursuing the alternatives.

Which is why PB has now said if he does here back in the next 24 hrs he will start pursuing the alternatives.

I'm guessing at a typo, but if PB does hear back from Hunt, why would he pursue alternatives?

I was in Chicago last year for a couple of weeks and the place was really interesting. It is on the banks of Lake Michigan which is massive approx 100 miles wide 400 miles long. A lot of high rises and some great views across the city. As has already been said it also has a pier where you will find a lot of live music. They also hold the Lollapalooza music festival which is massive and other festivals through out the year. I stayed at the Hard Rock hotel which offers free electric guitar to play in your room. Would highly recommend a visit. Don't go in winter as it can be extremely cold as low as -20 . I spent a lot of time in bars and clubs at night and never saw or heard any trouble, Very friendly quirky place.

I was in Chicago last year for a couple of weeks and the place was really interesting. It is on the banks of Lake Michigan which is massive approx 100 miles wide 400 miles long. A lot of high rises and some great views across the city. As has already been said it also has a pier where you will find a lot of live music. They also hold the Lollapalooza music festival which is massive and other festivals through out the year. I stayed at the Hard Rock hotel which offers free electric guitar to play in your room. Would highly recommend a visit. Don't go in winter as it can be extremely cold as low as -20 . I spent a lot of time in bars and clubs at night and never saw or heard any trouble, Very friendly quirky place.

Chicago is one of the friendlier northern big cities ( I have a very Irish sounding name, so that helps) I go there 3-4 times a year for business.

I try to get to MLS games when I travel, DC, LA, Philly etc. The game, here in the states, has really lifted off over the last five or so years. Crowds are really good and loud, quality of play has improved. The only thing that's missing is good derby games, with New York being the only city (New York and New Jersey to be precise) with two teams.

Any stateside shrimpers who want to meet at a game sometime should shoot me a message.

According to a Chicago Fire correspondent, even if Drogba doesn't sign then Hunt is not even plan B, C or D..

CP just tweeted that he is hoping to announce the hunt signing this week

Oh god another old crock who has hardly played the last 2 years and scored during that period virtually nothing.

Lets sign the guy first. Then watch him play for a few games, and then verbally assault him. works better that way I think.

Oh god another old crock who has hardly played the last 2 years and scored during that period virtually nothing.

Hunt is a class player and would be a brilliant addition. The guy hasnt even kicked a ball and already your on his back.

Lets sign the guy first. Then watch him play for a few games, and then verbally assault him. works better that way I think.

Yes true,I must stop jumping the gun !

If we get 20 games a season from him and I don't even mean 90 minutes,I would be shocked.

Still jumping the gun doh !

Hunt is a class player and would be a brilliant addition. The guy hasnt even kicked a ball and already your on his back.

Last 2 years he has made limited appearances and scored if I remember correctly around 3 goals,he was a good player but injury and niggles makes him a poor signing IMO ,still Ron must be wetting himself.

My boss an Ipswich fan really rated him, just his fitness let him down in the championship. He said he should do well in
league one, almost too good if we can get him fit!

Back