• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Another thing to add is that the planning process has changed dramatically since the last set of plans were approved. In projects of this size, there will be dialogue between the planning departments and the prospective applicant over a number of months prior to the application being submitted, i.e sensible applicants will only submit their plan when they have been encouraged that their proposal will be approved. I'm not sure of the status of SBC's LDP but if completed and submitted to Government already, the site will have been outlined for a development of this nature, and with the new 'localism' policy I'm not entirely sure whether the secretary of state can 'call in' the plans once approved at a local level.

The key word in that paragraph is 'sensible'. Of course, the planners could advise RM that what he will submit will not meet with approval, but he may submit them anyway.

I'll be shocked if this is approved. Ron is pushing his luck with this.

That said, hasn't there been a relatively recent change in planning legislation which favours developers trying to build new homes?

Don't think the Echo picked this up, but reading through the application it seems they hope to submit a full planning application in December.

Don't think the Echo picked this up, but reading through the application it seems they hope to submit a full planning application in December.

Which year will this December be? Sick of being fed these false starts all the time. The first time I marched down Vic Ave celebrating planning permission, I still had all my hair and it wasn't grey. The next time it happens I'll probably need pall bearers.

The whole project is now approx 50% bigger than it was proposed previously, with even more focus on the retail/leisure side (shock)....I can see the Council dragging their heels on this now and even if they give it the green light, it will certainly go to Government level. Expect this to take a long time to get agreed (if it even does)

I think the whole thing is now far too big and out of keeping with the area, bearing in mind this is green belt land that is meant to be for sporting use. Plus the impacts on the immediate area/high street are now just too large for it to be given backing by SBC/Government in my opinion. The road infastructure cannot cope as it is in this area. The objections from local residents/businesses on Sutton Road/Eastern Ave/High Street will be huge and I don't blame them to be fair. I certainly wouldn't want a Bas Vegas 2.0 on my door step. I would expect house prices to drop a fair bit in the immediate vicinity if it gets approved.

If these are 'council type' properties you are probably correct but if they are more 'upmarket apartment' type residencies then surrounding house properties will, in all likelyhood, vastly increase.

Won't 13 storeys affect the airport in any way? I know it's not as busy as Stansted, but if stacking was required etc.

Which year will this December be? Sick of being fed these false starts all the time. The first time I marched down Vic Ave celebrating planning permission, I still had all my hair and it wasn't grey. The next time it happens I'll probably need pall bearers.

Also made me laugh that they say the Section 106 agreement will be signed imminently. Hasn't that been the case for the past two years?

Won't 13 storeys affect the airport in any way? I know it's not as busy as Stansted, but if stacking was required etc.

This development is no where near current commercial flight paths in or out of Southend airport and therefore I would doubt is a consideration. The need for stacking/hold patterns is also currently not necessary and in any case they would be positioned miles away from the airport and at an altitude of several thousand feet.

13 floors?

Perhaps Ron is going to make these 3 blocks the 4th side, with the 12th & 13th floors all corporate boxes. :winking:

Spot on Harry,Fed up late spring etc we've heard it all before.As for tower blocks can't see it unless this answers the council's targets from central government.Really am depressed that a lot of us will be lucky to ever see a new ground.Now thinking I would rather see Roots Hall updated,and Fossetts development minus ground financing the upgrading of the hall

I doubt aeroplane would get that low in a stack.

Edit. I've just check the approach plates for Southend Airport, they say:

"Aircraft will normally be required to hold not lower than 2500'."

Last edited:
Worth pointing out that that either falling or rising house prices never has been and never will be a planning consideration. It will have no effect on a decision either way.

Check this out,

Bloke I know,he is mates with somebody who by complete accident met Ron's ex cleaner.

Here is the info,
The tower blocks will have floodlights on the roof whilst the top 4 floors on each block will be used for storing hair products.

Ron will introduce a Las Vegas style "drop" for those willing to pay £100 and of course having the balls for the task,Pre match will be a spectacle as fans queue to jump off the roof whilst being cheered on by the hordes.

The top floors will become "Ronnies Hair Boutique" with thousands lining up to sample his wares.

The teams will enter the field of play from zip lines from the towers,the officials however will be thrown from the roof hoping to land on a pile of disused wigs.

Bring it on:winking:

I'm still waiting for the building work that was scheduled to start in Spring a good few years back!

I won't believe a single word of what Ron Martin says until work commences on the new ground, and I would hazard a guess that most fans will be in the same boat as myself now as well. We've waited for the stadium work to begin for far too many years now, and it's absolutely ridiculous that it has taken so long to complete. We do need an upgraded stadium and we have done for a number of years now, but the amount of time it's taken us to get a move on, it's no wonder that the council are getting increasingly p****d off with us and Ron Martin.

Back