• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-0 Blackpool

Thompson will be delighted with his goal, it was absolutely brilliant. Did well to intercept, travelled forward with purpose, carried on his run and got on the end of a good cross with a textbook header. One of my favourite goals of the season, but that could just be because I play centre back on a Sunday morning!

I like most others thought Payne and Atkinson were at the heart of everything good going forward. The wind was a great leveller and it's really difficult to get momentum when the conditions are so tough. So hats off to the lads, one of those games where the result was all that mattered.

Coming to this thread slightly late but agree with those who went for Payne as motm. His movement created space and he is not adverse to putting in the odd tackle and tracking back. For 70 minutes was frozen to the bone in south lower. The goal meant I can endure the last 20 particularly as the game got stretched. Given the number of injuries a good result, but Blackpool were poor. Let's hope Oldham are in a similar vein of form on Tuesday night.!!!

Poor finishing is nothing to do with Brown's defending mentality.

Agree, but not investing in an attacking coach to help with said poor finishing is totally down to Brown`s defending mentality! It isnt like its a new thing, we have been consistently poor in front of goal since he arrived... cant see that this is just a coincidence after 2 1/2 years! :nope:

Amazed Hurst gets the flack he does.

Yes he missed a couple of good chances but you have to be the right player to make the runs to get the chances. Hurst played some good stuff and had a few decent shots. Personally I am delighted to see him back. This is the man that two years ago got the most assists in the football league so if we can get him back to his best its like a new signing.

Amazed Hurst gets the flack he does.

Yes he missed a couple of good chances but you have to be the right player to make the runs to get the chances. Hurst played some good stuff and had a few decent shots. Personally I am delighted to see him back. This is the man that two years ago got the most assists in the football league so if we can get him back to his best its like a new signing.

Hurst did O.K. He still looks overweight and a little slow to me tho.

Hurst did O.K. He still looks overweight and a little slow to me tho.

Hurst needs a goal to boost his confidence. Two years ago he was on fire, which is something we could have done with yesterday at the back of the west stand.
Cold wind reminded me of the Hockey Stadium MK game !

Just looked on the Blackpool OS and somehow their manager seems to believe they created "chance after chance after chance"
Yeah they did, 3 chances over the whole 90 minutes. Other than the header off the line, Cullen could/should have scored but we never looked like conceding other than that.

Just looked on the Blackpool OS and somehow their manager seems to believe they created "chance after chance after chance"

Yeah they did, 3 chances over the whole 90 minutes. Other than the header off the line, Cullen could/should have scored but we never looked like conceding other than that.

He would say that , the act of a desperate manager looking for excuses in my opinion

Come on chaps, who cares, it means nothing as we got three points and conceded no goals. Onwards to Tuesday, I think.

Apropos nothing posted so far, I watched yesterday's match with Essex Radio commentary on my earphones. I tried it to see how on the money their commentating was versus what I was watching for myself. Apart from few synching issues I have to say that I was quite impressed that what I heard was what I saw. Only downside - no Clarky, it was Glen Pennyfather instead.

Paul Clark normally just does the commentary for away matches.I believe he's involved with corporate stuff for home games.

You're qite right to point out that he's a far better match analyser than GP though.

Paul Clark normally just does the commentary for away matches.I believe he's involved with corporate stuff for home games.

You're qite right to point out that he's a far better match analyser than GP though.

There was actually nothing wrong with Glen's commentary, I just prefer Clarky's sense of the absurd and his humour at times.

No.... He is often sitting in the radio box at home games. David Crown is the match day host

(Off topic, I know) I love listening to Clarky's comments on the radio. He seems to have such a great knowledge of the game. Together with Mr Alliker it's a thoroughly enjoyable 90 mins of commentary. My elderly mum and dad don't get out to the games now, but they love listening to the games from these guys.

There was actually nothing wrong with Glen's commentary, I just prefer Clarky's sense of the absurd and his humour at times.

I think that Paul Clark is the best by a mile. And like you say, he comes out with some classic humour as well. Glen Pennyfather is also very good and knowledgeable about the game and what players should and shouldn't be doing. But I personally think that Adrian Clarke is terrible. He also keeps mentioning that he played for Arsenal.

All 3 worth listening to as such good professionals and so clearly still love the club. 2 Defenders and one attacker, all 3 saying we play to defensively , especially when taking the lead, but most importantly all 3 been saying we need more upfront, pace and power, and been consistently saying it since Phils arrival.

Nothing beats Paul Clarke's comments. You would never get it in the premier league, all too serious. 'He couldn't hit cows backside with a banjo' is one that always stands out for me. Coupled with saying, 'he's garbage'. He just represents everything about lower league football. Also the noises he makes when the opposition have a chance is priceless.

Back