• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm of a very nervous disposition! :winking:

Seriously though just winds me up seeing some teenagers supporting Southend acting like this and yes I know every club has them). My son is 13 and a season ticket holder along with me, however if I ever saw him acting in a similar way.........
difference between being with him or peer pressure when you are not?

Or a safe sitting area?

Have felt for a long, long time that clubs should provide a section of tickets for allocated seated away grounds where those of us who do not want trouble, do not want loutish behaviour around us and generally just want to sit with our family members - in my case, those whose mobility is not great - and simply enjoy watching the football.
Spot on my friend, we should campaign:happy:

I'm of a very nervous disposition! :winking:

Seriously though just winds me up seeing some teenagers supporting Southend acting like this and yes I know every club has them). My son is 13 and a season ticket holder along with me, however if I ever saw him acting in a similar way.........

One thing is for certain, I guarantee the same people won't have to be restrained by stewards tomorrow. Why....because there will be 2000 Millwall the other side.

I didn't say that. But if Col U (the only people effected by it) aren't going to care that much then why are you so bothered. Get over it, it has nothing to do with you.
I appreciate that there are a lot of people like you who prefer to turn a blind eye to crime, but I don't. Incidentally it was 2 seats away from me, so no, I won't, as you so eloquently put it, "get over it".

I appreciate that there are a lot of people like you who prefer to turn a blind eye to crime, but I don't. Incidentally it was 2 seats away from me, so no, I won't, as you so eloquently put it, "get over it".
I'm not turning a blind eye to anything, I didn't see it happen so what can i do about it? You might as well turn a blind eye because posting about it on Shrimperzone hasn't done anything either. If you think moaning about the petty crime of damaging a plastic chair is going to be of value then go ahead, just don't expect anyone to care, especially after we've just won the first Essex derby in 5 years.

I'm not turning a blind eye to anything, I didn't see it happen so what can i do about it? You might as well turn a blind eye because posting about it on Shrimperzone hasn't done anything either. If you think moaning about the petty crime of damaging a plastic chair is going to be of value then go ahead, just don't expect anyone to care, especially after we've just won the first Essex derby in 5 years.

My my Danshrimper aren't you going to have a lot to put in your 'what I did in the holidays' essay when you go back to school !

The solution is two fold and simple, let fans sit where they want, so early arrivals can sit as they want, and get stewards to do their job with police help if necessary.
I accept stewarding is difficult as seen in the premier league where away supporters invariably stand.
Letting fans sit where they choose would enable the older ones like me with weak knees etc to sit one or two rows from the front. Even modern grounds rarely have hand rails, and steps are steep.
Some argue that issues of trouble can be sorted more easily if fans are made to sit in particular seat, which holds some merit, but fans causing trouble will not keep tickets, they usually insist on sitting or standing wherever they choose and in any case police have sufficient powers to obtain identity if offences occur.
The clubs use police officers who know the fans that cause trouble, and in most cases could identify them for suitable punishment.
Sheffield United's stand was steep but had hand rails on aisle to assist us older less able fans.
As usual nothing happens until someone is seriously injured. These grounds hold safety certificates which should protect fans, but a minority of morons from most clubs, including ours spoil it for the majority.:sad:

This would work perfectly if we had say 250 away fans sitting/standing in a stand that had say 1000 seats. People could and do sit/stand where they want as there is plenty of space for those that want to move to a different position to do so. It doesn't work where 1,000 people turn up to a stand holding 1,000 seats. As said on a previous thread season ticket holders got together so that they could be with their family which I can understand (i'm not a STH and therefore was just grateful to get a couple of tickets).

And having to sit in an allocated seat in front of people wanting to sit yesterday made me appreciate having been able to stand at home games and every away game before yesterday, I hate sitting down and find it uncomfortable, the inconvenience works both ways. I find it very strange that so many people would rather stand up before the game and at half time when nothing's happening than during the game.

When more people stand it creates a better atmosphere, which was shown as there was a great atmosphere before the game when everyone was standing but then during the whole first half where 90% had sat down it had the atmosphere of a pre-season friendly not a derby game, with only those around the drum making any noise. The atmosphere did improve in the second half after we scored but would have been better still if more were stood. In almost every derby game in the Football League this season, most of the away end will be stood, it's a shame that we're the ones that didn't follow this trend.

I look forward to the rest of the away games this season where I'll be able to stand without any issue as most of those sitting yesterday probably won't attend any more away games this season.

What about if you've got young kids that can't see anything when everyone is standing ?

My my Danshrimper aren't you going to have a lot to put in your 'what I did in the holidays' essay when you go back to school !
So because I didn't witness a plastic chair being broken and don't particularly care about it that makes me a child?

You're probably the one that's on school holiday if that's all you've got to contribute to the thread.

This whole thread just sums up why we need safe standing in this country.

Spot on. This thread reoccurs every time we sell out an away end. It's impossible to please everyone when you have no standing option and you have people of all different ages and physical conditions in one stand. I would have preferred to stand yesterday but I spotted before the game there was a young lad of about 10 sat behind me and I knew if I stood I would have impaired his enjoyment of the game. I still managed to enjoy myself while sat down though.

The authorities in this country are so backward when it comes to catering for the wants and needs of football supporters, and they don't realise that allowing safe standing would solve far more problems than it would create.

So because I didn't witness a plastic chair being broken and don't particularly care about it that makes me a child?

You're probably the one that's on school holiday if that's all you've got to contribute to the thread.

You do put some good posts on here from time to time, Danshrimper, but your overall contribution in this thread does not, for me, live up to that standard. Still, on we go.

how does 6 mates wanting/trying to sit together, and 1 kicking/knocking off a flimsy bit of cardboard whilst celebrating a goal scored against our local rivals in an Essex derby make you fear for the future ???

Because the youngsters are the future of our club and if that's how the future generations are going to behave (...and that's when we're winning) then we've got an awful future ahead of us.

We have this "discussion" on quite a regular basis this season and last, and there are those that want to stand and those that don't. Ok, I get that. I don't see why it always ends up with arse-ache, and it does, without fail. Yesterday we beat Colchester away on Boxing day, a time for all to be happy. Tomorrow we take on Millwall and I reckon the post match threads will be even more grumpy, especially if we win. I'm not suggesting that everyone should love one another on here, but maybe a bit Xmas spirit would not go adrift.

Spot on. This thread reoccurs every time we sell out an away end. It's impossible to please everyone when you have no standing option and you have people of all different ages and physical conditions in one stand. I would have preferred to stand yesterday but I spotted before the game there was a young lad of about 10 sat behind me and I knew if I stood I would have impaired his enjoyment of the game. I still managed to enjoy myself while sat down though.

The authorities in this country are so backward when it comes to catering for the wants and needs of football supporters, and they don't realise that allowing safe standing would solve far more problems than it would create.

At least you had the decency to realise you had a little'un behind you and acted accordingly ! :thumbsup:...not like others, it appears !

What about if you've got young kids that can't see anything when everyone is standing ?
Away ends are full of people all standing across the country, those who can't stand sit near the front it's fairly simple. Which is why unallocated seating would have been better so those who want to sit can go nearer the front and those who want to stand can go nearer the back, therefore catering for the preferences of all. Alternatively, 1 or 2 standing blocks could have been allocated.

I'm not saying people should have stood yesterday when there were people sitting behind them. I'm just pointing out that some dislike sitting as much as some dislike standing so that should be considered in future.

You do put some good posts on here from time to time, Danshrimper, but your overall contribution in this thread does not, for me, live up to that standard. Still, on we go.
Perhaps not, but at least my posts have been relevant to the thread unlike the post I was replying to.

Back