• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

hamburgshrimper

Youth Team
They might be a bit rough around the edges, but you can't knock the support they brought to Roots Hall. Obviously the result helped, but they got behind their team for 90 mins and completely knocked the stuffing out of Bentley. You could tell the abuse had got to him. They are still old school, a dying breed, no colours and ultra-style clap along chants. Don't think you can't not feel a grudging respect for them.

Onwards and upwards Southend, it's been a good year for us, let's build on this in 2016.

Yeah good numbers 1,745 (mind you I think we would have taken 1,500+ there if the fixture was reversed as we had 1,100 at Millwall earlier this season).

You say they got behind their team but apart from giving Bentley and our fans some stick they didn't actually really sing many songs in support of their own team. Do you think its good they don't actually sing any songs?

Some of their fans more interested in goading home fans/stewards/police and taking the advertising boards apart!

They might be a bit rough around the edges, but you can't knock the support they brought to Roots Hall. Obviously the result helped, but they got behind their team for 90 mins and completely knocked the stuffing out of Bentley. You could tell the abuse had got to him. They are still old school, a dying breed, no colours and ultra-style clap along chants. Don't think you can't not feel a grudging respect for them.

Onwards and upwards Southend, it's been a good year for us, let's build on this in 2016.

Agree with your sentiments.

I was particularly impressed by a middle-aged guy (presumably with his wife) who apologised in the Cricketers before asking for directions to the ground.

Less so by a couple of their chavs, on the 9.05 from Fenchurch Street who opened up a couple of bottles of beer in my carriage (without offering me a drink)! :smile:

Thought it was funny that DB was obviously trying to spend as much time as posssible outside his box after that second goal and the chanting.:'(

Yeah good numbers 1,745 (mind you I think we would have taken 1,500+ there if the fixture was reversed as we had 1,100 at Millwall earlier this season).

You say they got behind their team but apart from giving Bentley and our fans some stick they didn't actually really sing many songs in support of their own team. Do you think its good they don't actually sing any songs?

Some of their fans more interested in goading home fans/stewards/police and taking the advertising boards apart!

I don't think you're being that fair to be honest. They weren't goading the home fans, they were responding in kind to the Southend fans who were goading them, probably because of their reputation. I particularly liked their song of "Sit down and behave yourselves" directed at our little ***** who would run a mile if they were really confronted.

As for not singing. I heard plenty of the "We are Millwall" song. I also warned my boys to expect the atmosphere to be a little bit hostile, but I was pleasantly surprised. For such a large crowd with such a large away following I thought the atmosphere was remarkably mild.

I'm sure that there'll be some "old school" Millwall fans who would consider this post of mine an insult, but hey ho!

Yes disgraceful behaviour. I had not witnessed that sort of thing since........Boxing day at Colchester.

That's just Millwall, they are a bit unique support-wise, which is refreshing in this day and age. It's mainly just roaring and when they were all singing it, it made for quite an intimidating spectacle. The same with the eio after the goals. The only disadvantage is that they turn on their own players very quickly if they don't put in a shift. To be honest, I much prefer that, and can see why they hate Palace and their plastic"fanatics". In terms of the goading, they knew we didn't really pose much of a threat. If it had been Leeds, Sheff Utd even Pompey, things might have got a bit more lively.

That's just Millwall, they are a bit unique support-wise, which is refreshing in this day and age. It's mainly just roaring and when they were all singing it, it made for quite an intimidating spectacle. The same with the eio after the goals. The only disadvantage is that they turn on their own fans very quickly if they don't put in a shift. To be honest, I much prefer that, and can see why they hate Palace and their plastic"fanatics". In terms of the goading, they knew we didn't really pose much of a threat. If it had been Leeds, Sheff Utd even Pompey, things might have got a bit more lively.
No different to Leeds in my opinion!

Millwall fans have this unique way of chanting Millwall without any Ls in it. So it comes out as a mi..wa.. some might confuse it as a grunt, without realising the complexities of performing this difficult chant.

I will always remember seeing a spraying on a wall at Waterloo station, which said "Up the Loins" again a complex play on words instead of "Up the Lions".

Seriously though seeing Millwall fans in the street after the match they clearly had a lot of older fans who could handle themselves but didn't cause havoc like the older Cambridge fans. The fans in the ground goading the west were much younger and not dissimilar to the Southend lads in the west goading them back.`

That's just Millwall, they are a bit unique support-wise, which is refreshing in this day and age. It's mainly just roaring and when they were all singing it, it made for quite an intimidating spectacle. The same with the eio after the goals. The only disadvantage is that they turn on their own players very quickly if they don't put in a shift. To be honest, I much prefer that, and can see why they hate Palace and their plastic"fanatics". In terms of the goading, they knew we didn't really pose much of a threat. If it had been Leeds, Sheff Utd even Pompey, things might have got a bit more lively.

Can't be a "bit unique", either are or not. :winking: All I would say is judge them when they lose 4-0

Can't be a "bit unique", either are or not. :winking: All I would say is judge them when they lose 4-0

That's it though, they spent most of that match c*****g of their own players. After what they'd experienced under Lomas it wasn't a great surprise. Never seen another club which is so anti-colours and their songs aren't really sung by anyone else, so I guess it does make them unique.

Apologies for the lack of relevance to this weeks game but I love this insight into the 70's Millwall fan. Compelling viewing:

[video=youtube;vKoYjOGOzXQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKoYjOGOzXQ[/video]

I have to agree with a lot of these posts. I don't mind Millwall fans and prefer them to the like of West Ham and Leeds. I would also take them over the Luton chavs scum from last season. I like the fact that they have kept their support old school and havent bought into the drum banging, generic song chanting happy clappy fans seen at most grounds.

By the way, this isn't knocking our fans or TBV. Atmosphere at Roots Hall these days is infitely better than it was 10-15 years ago

I remember in the late 60s coming back from an away match up north on the Youth Section coach when we stopped at a service station. What wasn't initially apparent was that there were three coach loads of Arsenal fans there but once we were spotted our coach was surrounded and some tried to board our coach things did not look good.

Then the most battered coach I have ever seen in my life pulled in, half the windows were missing, it was a Millwall coach, seeing blue and white being outnumbered by red and white they were climbing out the windows to get at the Arsenal who just ran. When we explained we were Southend not Millwall they didn't care and were fine with us.

Whereas coming back from Aldershot by train half a dozen where stopped at Liverpool Street by about 30 West Ham fans who thought we were Chelsea when we explained we were Southend they gave us a good kicking anyway.

Says the man singularly responsible for mindlessly damaging all the seast in the away end at the Goldstone Ground.

It wasn't that unique when I saw a Millwall fan spitting at Macca when he was taking a corner. Disgusting thing to do. I see a number of their idiots doing cut throat gestures towards the W block too. It's a game of footy, banter yes but them kind of things are just moronic!
I won't be partaking in the Millwall loving just yet.

They seemed to be chanting something along the lines of "Does she take it up somewhere" to a blonde lady at the front of TBV.

Not very subtle.

I would counter this by saying I would love to see us take 1000 or so fans to an away match where the stand matches the acoustics of the north bank. Our away support is fantastic (and would be even better if we were 3-0 up by half time) but no ground will match the north bank for noise.

Back