• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

PB will get slaughtered on here for playing 1 up front even though it suits the squad we currently have, and we get our best results with it.

hit the nail on the head. he feels that to keep the pressure off him and the team from the very start of the game, he has to do 2 things that are completely incompatible. firstly play 2 up front and secondly play JP. the only ways he has found of shoe horning in both these things involve a lack of width either on one or both sides (often playing 1 winger who alternates sides depending on where hes needed most) so that there can still be a solid 3 in the middle or 2+JP, putting huge pressure on the full backs to be both the only real width going forward and often being outnumbered 2-1 defensively.

I said this before, we were playing well and getting positive results before Hunt came back. We had a balanced side with a four across midfield consisting of Hurst, Lenny, Atkinson, Worrall.
With Payne playing behind Mooney.
With this setup both fullbacks had cover and so did the center backs. The wingers allowed the fullbacks to overlap, since Hunt has come back Coker has hardly got forward.
Now I'm not saying every player mentioned above has to play but the formation works for the players we have at our disposal. I personally would go for, Macca, Lenny, Timlin, Worrall
Then Payne behind Hunt.
A balanced team.

I said this before, we were playing well and getting positive results before Hunt came back. We had a balanced side with a four across midfield consisting of Hurst, Lenny, Atkinson, Worrall.
With Payne playing behind Mooney.
With this setup both fullbacks had cover and so did the center backs. The wingers allowed the fullbacks to overlap, since Hunt has come back Coker has hardly got forward.
Now I'm not saying every player mentioned above has to play but the formation works for the players we have at our disposal. I personally would go for, Macca, Lenny, Timlin, Worrall
Then Payne behind Hunt.
A balanced team.

This is very true, I don't think it's Hunt's fault, it's Brown's for trying to shoehorn him in and neglecting the midfield. IMO swap Hunt in for the underwhelming Mooney and we've got the basis for a good team. The front 6 you mention looks good to me.

I'd like to see the stats that back this up.

The last two home games we've looked like a very un-Phil Brown team and it is all down to the formation and having to shoe-horn a luxury player into the side. If Payne plays then he has to play wide left or up front but either way it needs to be an orthodox formation or else we will continue to get thumped at home.

Very Phil Brown. Far too defensive. 5 at the back, no attacking midfielders and no width.

Payne's best position is behind the front 2.

Are you happy with 7 players being asked to concentrate on defence?

Very Phil Brown. Far too defensive. 5 at the back, no attacking midfielders and no width.

Payne's best position is behind the front 2.

Are you happy with 7 players being asked to concentrate on defence?

Agree with you.

When we win and Jack plays then everyone loves him,we lose and some say drop Jack !

Play him behind Hunt and anyone apart from Mooney and we have an attacking threat,Jack is a very good flair player the type fans want to see driving into their third.

I note that Barry Corr, much maligned by many on these forums, was the joint 4th highest scorer in all leagues during the calendar year 2015.
92 clubs in the league, probably with 4 strikers each, so that's 368 strikers in total. Corr was joint 4th, and half of shrimperzone wasn't happy.
that's your challenge if you're an SUFC player.

It doesn't work. You either then end up with one player in the middle with wingers, or three in the middle and no width like yesterday. Yes a front three of Hunt/Another/Payne is an exciting combination, but they will never get the ball as the one in the middle will be overrun, or the full backs will have nobody to pass to.

After watching 180 minutes of utter rubbish this week how can Payne behind the front two still be even remotely on any ones wish list. They clearly do not go to games or have zero knowledge of football at all.

It doesn't work. You either then end up with one player in the middle with wingers, or three in the middle and no width like yesterday. Yes a front three of Hunt/Another/Payne is an exciting combination, but they will never get the ball as the one in the middle will be overrun, or the full backs will have nobody to pass to.

After watching 180 minutes of utter rubbish this week how can Payne behind the front two still be even remotely on any ones wish list. They clearly do not go to games or have zero knowledge of football at all.

Play Worrall and Macca wide with Lenny behind Jack and Deeg in front of the defence.

I think most people who want Payne are requesting him to play behind one striker. People want him to play there because of how influential he was there in previous games before Hunt came back. But yes I agree, behind a front two hasn't been working, we lack width, particularly at home.

I think most people who want Payne are requesting him to play behind one striker. People want him to play there because of how influential he was there in previous games before Hunt came back. But yes I agree, behind a front two hasn't been working, we lack width, particularly at home.

Worked against Bury but we had an attacking mindset for that game.

I'm guessing most of those wanting a return to 4-4-2 were relatively content with things until 28th December and have forgotten about the first half hour of our home game vs. Walsall early in the season.

Worked against Bury but we had an attacking mindset for that game.

Yes I agree but Payne also came to life when Hunt went off, when he played behind the one striker. He won the Pen and scored his goal with Hunt off the field.
I remember before Hunt came back Brown was saying that when we attacked we was playing more of a 4-2-4 and the four attackers could do what they wanted. Hurst and Worrall swapped sides freely and Payne got plenty of the ball centrally and made things happen.
Like I said in a previous post the 4-4-1-1 suits the current players we have.

Last edited:
Yes I agree but Payne also came to life when Hunt went off, when he played behind the one striker. He won the Pen and scored his goal with Hunt off the field.
I remember before Hunt came back Brown was saying that when we attacked we was playing more of a 4-2-4 and the four attackers could do what they wanted. Hunt and Worrall swapped sides freely and Payne got plenty of the ball centrally and made things happen.
Like I said in a previous post the 4-4-1-1 suits the current players we have.

Jack came to life once he moved to central mid IMO.

Jack came to life once he moved to central mid IMO.

He was definitely playing just behind the striker, so 4-4-1-1 once Hunt went off. When we were playing with 2 up it was only 2-1 and we were hanging on somewhat prior to the sub.

Agree with the previous poster, this change in formation was when he really came to life. IMO you can't play Payne behind 2 strikers, the last two games have proved that, the midfield will be overrun by any competent opposition.

Oh, and it's only you mrsblue and one other poster who would choose to continue with Payne behind a front 2, the majority have said they would either play him off one striker or revert to 4-4-2. My opinion is the majority are correct.

He was definitely playing just behind the striker, so 4-4-1-1 once Hunt went off. When we were playing with 2 up it was only 2-1 and we were hanging on somewhat prior to the sub.

Agree with the previous poster, this change in formation was when he really came to life. IMO you can't play Payne behind 2 strikers, the last two games have proved that, the midfield will be overrun by any competent opposition.

Oh, and it's only you mrsblue and one other poster who would choose to continue with Payne behind a front 2, the majority have said they would either play him off one striker or revert to 4-4-2. My opinion is the majority are correct.

There are large nos. who think his best position,for now anyway,is on the bench.He is highly effective only when the opposition is tiring or pushing forward.Before then he is often a luxury we can ill-afford.

Back