• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

All he had to do was put the ball into an empty net from 5 yards. Red card all day. Very surprised he gave yellow although maybe not that surprised as he seemed to fall for their theatricals most of the game.

At the time I thought the same, but having watched it again I have changed my mind. There was a defender on the line, and another close enough to put in a challenge.

Anyone else feel that the ref was rather sky blue favoured? :unsure:

I thought it was a red for the keeper initially but was convinced by hubby that it was a correct decision for the various reasons outlined above regarding other players etc.

Anyone else feel that the ref was rather sky blue favoured? :unsure:

I thought it was a red for the keeper initially but was convinced by hubby that it was a correct decision for the various reasons outlined above regarding other players etc.

Not really. He gave their Hunt the benefit of a couple of extravagant falls early on but got wise to it as the game progressed.

Thought he did okay and have seen plenty worse than him.

To be honest, I think I would have given a yellow (but then, i'm such a softie). There were a couple of covering defenders, and unless i'm 100% certain it's a red, I probably would have sat on the fence.

What these decisions do prove, is how ambiguous the laws are, though. With even refs on here having a different viewpoint, yet both technically correct.

Regrettably I think you have to be the LAST man with no cover- so the referee got it right
Actually last but ONE man, how many times have we seen defender's sent off when the forward is brought down with only has the 'keeper to beat? In a situation like yesterday when the 'keeper is rounded in the box the man on the line is effectively the last man but cannot use his hands.

Actually last but ONE man, how many times have we seen defender's sent off when the forward is brought down with only has the 'keeper to beat? In a situation like yesterday when the 'keeper is rounded in the box the man on the line is effectively the last man but cannot use his hands.

............ "last man" is pundit-speak and plays no part in the Laws of the Game.

I thought at the time their keeper should have gone, but the atkos last touch actually gave the ball to the covering player so I agree it's a yellow.

Deegans second yellow was a bit soft for me. First foul after a booking they normally get a last warning for those. Maybe his final warning came when he berated the ref following his clear first yellow.

Not really. He gave their Hunt the benefit of a couple of extravagant falls early on but got wise to it as the game progressed.

Thought he did okay and have seen plenty worse than him.

His arm only seemed to work one way first half, gave a throw in to them when it clearly came off their player and also failed to give us a corner when it clearly took a deflection off our player. And also that corner of theirs where Dan "saved" behind the line above the goal and the lino gave it as a GK but the ref over ruled it as a corner! Was better second half but did feel he was a touch in their favour overall.

His arm only seemed to work one way first half, gave a throw in to them when it clearly came off their player and also failed to give us a corner when it clearly took a deflection off our player. And also that corner of theirs where Dan "saved" behind the line above the goal and the lino gave it as a GK but the ref over ruled it as a corner! Was better second half but did feel he was a touch in their favour overall.

Even for you, this is bonkers.

It was a red card all day long. No discussion needed! It was a very very clear goal scoring opportunity! :facepalm:

Atkinson was hauled down by the keeper but there was a City defender between the keeper and the goal so a yellow card.

In today's match Mertesacker took the guy out and the keeper was still in his goal --- red card. Could someone explain the difference.

Atkinson was hauled down by the keeper but there was a City defender between the keeper and the goal so a yellow card.

In today's match Mertesacker took the guy out and the keeper was still in his goal --- red card. Could someone explain the difference.
Nope I was thinking the same thing.
So if it had been an outfield player that brought Atkinson down yesterday he would almost certainly have been sent off.

The only scenario which would have justified not producing the red card would have been if Atkinson had already lost possession of the ball BEFORE the keeper fouled him which was clearly NOT the case!

Think the ref thought about it for quite some time , then realised that they had used all thier subs so basically let him off . Rubbish decision really .

Nothing to do with being the last man. Incorrect decision in my opinion. FACT and END OF.

I think herein lies the problem, the decision as to whether it is a red or yellow card is NOT a matter of fact (like has the ball crossed the line or not) but one of opinion, and as Mick explained earlier the ref has to weigh up (very quickly) a number of factors in making his judgement. I thought it was a red (as do some qualified refs on here), others thought yellow was correct (as do some qualified refs on here) which I think indicates that it was a marginal decision. The ref came down on their side, but at least we scored the penalty and won 3-0 otherwise I think it would have been loads more controversial!

Last edited:
The problem is the law has got too complicated. Like the one with offside.

Offside should be clear daylight between player and defender, not whether his elbow is just offside.

Likewise, the clear goalscoring opportunity should be limited to deliberate handball on the line or when a player has rounded a keeper and only has the empty net in front of him, when he is hauled down.

Ironically, if that was the interpretation yesterday, Costa would have rode Mertesacker's challenge and just raced through on goal and probably scored, but he knew what he was doing, cutting across Mertersacker and waiting for the slight touch before going down.

As a completely biased observer I'd have given a yellow - purely because the keeper had looked a liability up to that point and it was in our interests that he stayed on the pitch.

Ditto the referee thought "It's Atkinson. He never scores. I saw the one at Sheffield United earlier on in the season"

The only scenario which would have justified not producing the red card would have been if Atkinson had already lost possession of the ball BEFORE the keeper fouled him which was clearly NOT the case!
If anyone is still trying to justify th yellow,please look at the photo in today's Echo.

Back