• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Following a July and August of this, I'm afraid to say I am totally underwhelmed. The chances of us finding someone good under a stone that no one has looked under before appear to me pretty remote. Four leaf clovers anyone? Don't take any notice of me, I've always been an arch pessimist and cynic! :winking:

Talking about shots hitting the south upper..... I have noticed that our current crop of players are really dire in the warm up before the match.

When they are using the portable goal and the ball is rolled across to them, the shots are terrible.... So many don't hit the target, scuffs the lot..... I've been going for years, this current lot are the worst I have seen carry this out....others must have noticed or maybe they get to the match later.

I'd take Heskey over Zamora but either could contribute at this level.

Ameobi I'd be less keen on but he's younger and you don't play 300 games at the top level without being very good.

Talking about shots hitting the south upper..... I have noticed that our current crop of players are really dire in the warm up before the match.

When they are using the portable goal and the ball is rolled across to them, the shots are terrible.... So many don't hit the target, scuffs the lot..... I've been going for years, this current lot are the worst I have seen carry this out....others must have noticed or maybe they get to the match later.

I've been saying this for the last few years. The striker training is still bad as it's never done by a former striker. Coughlan uses some good routines but doesn't show them what they are doing wrong when it goes miles wide or well over the bar. Probably because he doesn't know himself, being a defender. I see them leaning back, striking the ball when stretching, striking when well off balance, timing well out. All the sorts of things that are going to make them miss the target.

If only there was a former Blues striking legend working behind the scenes at the club!

Hardly surprising when you look at the goal records of most of our players. Cox is the only one who could be described as having a decent goalscoring record.

I've been saying this for the last few years. The striker training is still bad as it's never done by a former striker. Coughlan uses some good routines but doesn't show them what they are doing wrong when it goes miles wide or well over the bar. Probably because he doesn't know himself, being a defender. I see them leaning back, striking the ball when stretching, striking when well off balance, timing well out. All the sorts of things that are going to make them miss the target.

Agree 100%, I would do training makeing them shoot with the wrong foot as well, so many times a player has an easy tap in shot, they ether check to their better side, or pass it, the chance has gone....

Seems to be getting worse, as said many don't see this as they arrive later.

Hardly surprising when you look at the goal records of most of our players. Cox is the only one who could be described as having a decent goalscoring record.

Sorry, should have mentioned that Cox is the only one that doesn't need striker training. He blasts them in for fun at training. Ranger wasn't too bad. McLaughlin is the best out of the wingers. Mooney is O.K. one on one against a goalie, but shooting generally poor. Lenny is the best at long shots. All the rest are woeful. Williams is crying out for striker training.

Desperate for a striking coach, we can all see.... Head and knee over the ball is needed ... Like 7NB said, they are leaning back.... Not good.

I wonder if he has caught the lack of confidence upfront disease? I know we are not exactly noted for playing great creative through balls for strikers to latch on to and score, but reviewing many of his past goal highlights I was struck by how often he could just turn and smack the ball in the net from some distance. Now he cant get near the net in warm up from 15 yards, hopefully given its all about confidence and consistency the tide will turn

We played Bilel out of position half of his time here with us. He was playing left wing at times.

It was odd he was played in the middle, but Sturrock played him all over as well. What was more puzzling was he had been in exile and then brought in .

We played Bilel out of position before partially out of necessity. Sturrock did NOT play him all over , we had choices for Wembley (Lenny didnt even make the bench for example) , up until that point Bilel had NEVER played CM in his life (well documented at the time) . A wembley final and a (volatile confidence ) player is picked to play in a position he has never played in before. Why take such a massive gamble at a Wembley final . We aren't talking about putting someone at right back where you can be coached by the right sided centre back - CM is far more difficult.

it was a Wennley final for Christ sake ! (yes it does still annoy me whenever I think about it)

We played Bilel out of position before partially out of necessity. Sturrock did NOT play him all over , we had choices for Wembley (Lenny didnt even make the bench for example) , up until that point Bilel had NEVER played CM in his life (well documented at the time) . A wembley final and a (volatile confidence ) player is picked to play in a position he has never played in before. Why take such a massive gamble at a Wembley final . We aren't talking about putting someone at right back where you can be coached by the right sided centre back - CM is far more difficult.

it was a Wennley final for Christ sake ! (yes it does still annoy me whenever I think about it)

Still the one after that was better. (makes me smile whenever I think about it)

Without wishing to sound like an arse, the Summer Transfer Thread should be done now shouldn't it?

Back