• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Geez the first goal this season has been critical.

We've won twice and drawn once when we've taken the lead.

When we have conceded first, we are 1 draw and 5 losses.

Certainly not looking to pin all the blame on the keepers, christ we have other problems too! But no-one can deny that the goalkeeping situation is alarming and there is no way to solve it before January. And whose fault is that? Brown. And that's undeniable.

Maybe a) there weren't any goalies available or
......... b) they didn't want to come to Southend.

From the lowlights, the first goal looked down to Oxley, the penalty was just that, no 3 was beautifully taken so sometimes you just have to stand back and applaud, and no 4 looked like defensive suicide!

have to say that the red looked harsh from that angle, so an appeal could be successful.

Apart from that, difficult to tell, but from 0-0 at half time to shipping in 4 in the second half, something has gone wrong somewhere. My conspiracy theory of players sending out a message of unhappiness from the pitch might be right, what better way of discrediting a "clean sheet and don't concede at any cost" mentality than losing by 3 or 4 at every possible opportunity...? :stunned::'(

With some of the usual suspects hogging every thread thought you might like to hear from someone who actually went to the game.

The omens weren't good when we passed the team bus broke down on the M25 about 11:15, they had left RH at 09:30. Followed by heavy M1 congestion around Luton (of course) and beyond. I understand some of you actually turned round and missed the game.

Yes it really was a game of two half's. We were definitely the better, more attacking side first half, but without testing their keeper enough. We were quicker to the loose ball and Barrett and Thompson kept Revell surprisingly quiet. Glash and McL closed them down high up the pitch and with a finer better ball and some good blocks by them, we should have been at least a goal up. Having said that Oxley still had to make more saves than their keeper.

I was talking to an old friend who can't go as much nowadays at half time, he thought it could be 0-0. I did warn him that if you don't take your chances when your on top in L1, it comes back to bite you. Of course no one at the game could have guessed what was coming. We both praised Thompson and Oxley, he had a good first half. We both agreed the ref bottled the first big decision a penalty shout for Glash. The clue was their defender needed the physio on, so he must have caught the player.

Some have already blamed the back 4 but they really weren't that bad. Lets look at the goals. They get a cheap free kick 2 minutes into the second half, which was half cleared and you've all seen what happened next with Oxley. We all know you can't concede goals as cheap as that. Yet another ex player gets a gift.

Then a penalty, we had been pushing up the pitch so Demetriou was caught the wrong side but the red was very harsh. Their guy knew he would struggle to get anything on that ball and made the most of his 'contact'. Unlike Millwall last week we didn't surround the ref and give him time to change his mind. With the home crowd all chanting off, I thought Barret and White could have been a bit sharper to the ref.

Wordsworth come on and Glash went up top as an out an out forward. Not sure why some are claiming we only had one up front as even with 10 men this was clearly not the case. Then another strange ref decision. He blew for a foul that many thought was for us. Wordsworth jogged towards the half-way line, so did their defenders. So that was nice little surprise for them and of course with Matty Taylors left foot and a nice wind behind him from that positon it was only ever going to go over the wall. Oxley, like Bentley before him offered to much room over the wall. I was mocked on here the other week for saying Ted Smith stands more central. Of course most of you will understand what I mean by that.

With any wild fantasises about coming back from 0-2 ended it was the right decision to save Barrett, don't forget we have a game on Tuesday. Cox for Mooney was obvious. No we weren't lazy and we continued to attack forcing a couple of throws and a corner. Iniss could have scored with his second touch when he was about to head in a corner......that is until one of their guy's grabbed his shirt and yanked him back. The ref can't possible claim to have not seen that one. Its often said that they balance things up but at that stage you knew we weren't going home with anything.

We still attacked and their keeper pulls the ball back from at least a yard over the line. Glash had nudged him so it was either a foul or a corner. Ref waves play on and from the quick kick they break and score, which is why the fourth goal looks poor on the TV.

Yes we lost 4-0. No the players weren't lazy, nor did they give up. No we can't blame Barrett and Thompson. Revell was not in the game apart from his penalty.

Just to round things off there was a scuffle in the carpark afterwards.....Anyone see that.

With some of the usual suspects hogging every thread thought you might like to hear from someone who actually went to the game.

The omens weren't good when we passed the team bus broke down on the M25 about 11:15, they had left RH at 09:30. Followed by heavy M1 congestion around Luton (of course) and beyond. I understand some of you actually turned round and missed the game.

Yes it really was a game of two half's. We were definitely the better, more attacking side first half, but without testing their keeper enough. We were quicker to the loose ball and Barrett and Thompson kept Revell surprisingly quiet. Glash and McL closed them down high up the pitch and with a finer better ball and some good blocks by them, we should have been at least a goal up. Having said that Oxley still had to make more saves than their keeper.

I was talking to an old friend who can't go as much nowadays at half time, he thought it could be 0-0. I did warn him that if you don't take your chances when your on top in L1, it comes back to bite you. Of course no one at the game could have guessed what was coming. We both praised Thompson and Oxley, he had a good first half. We both agreed the ref bottled the first big decision a penalty shout for Glash. The clue was their defender needed the physio on, so he must have caught the player.

Some have already blamed the back 4 but they really weren't that bad. Lets look at the goals. They get a cheap free kick 2 minutes into the second half, which was half cleared and you've all seen what happened next with Oxley. We all know you can't concede goals as cheap as that. Yet another ex player gets a gift.

Then a penalty, we had been pushing up the pitch so Demetriou was caught the wrong side but the red was very harsh. Their guy knew he would struggle to get anything on that ball and made the most of his 'contact'. Unlike Millwall last week we didn't surround the ref and give him time to change his mind. With the home crowd all chanting off, I thought Barret and White could have been a bit sharper to the ref.

Wordsworth come on and Glash went up top as an out an out forward. Not sure why some are claiming we only had one up front as even with 10 men this was clearly not the case. Then another strange ref decision. He blew for a foul that many thought was for us. Wordsworth jogged towards the half-way line, so did their defenders. So that was nice little surprise for them and of course with Matty Taylors left foot and a nice wind behind him from that positon it was only ever going to go over the wall. Oxley, like Bentley before him offered to much room over the wall. I was mocked on here the other week for saying Ted Smith stands more central. Of course most of you will understand what I mean by that.

With any wild fantasises about coming back from 0-2 ended it was the right decision to save Barrett, don't forget we have a game on Tuesday. Cox for Mooney was obvious. No we weren't lazy and we continued to attack forcing a couple of throws and a corner. Iniss could have scored with his second touch when he was about to head in a corner......that is until one of their guy's grabbed his shirt and yanked him back. The ref can't possible claim to have not seen that one. Its often said that they balance things up but at that stage you knew we weren't going home with anything.

We still attacked and their keeper pulls the ball back from at least a yard over the line. Glash had nudged him so it was either a foul or a corner. Ref waves play on and from the quick kick they break and score, which is why the fourth goal looks poor on the TV.

Yes we lost 4-0. No the players weren't lazy, nor did they give up. No we can't blame Barrett and Thompson. Revell was not in the game apart from his penalty.

Just to round things off there was a scuffle in the carpark afterwards.....Anyone see that.

Sounds like a draw then!

Get what your saying, but you make your own luck.

Whether we deserved to lose 4-0 or 1-0 it's undeniable that since Christmas we have been abysmal.

The players have to take responsibility, but the fact is some of them aren't good enough or will never be fit enough.

The buck stops with management.

We lost 4-0 down to bad luck haha. It's not our fault we're going to concede more than Col U last season we just have terrible luck!

Get what your saying, but you make your own luck.

Whether we deserved to lose 4-0 or 1-0 it's undeniable that since Christmas we have been abysmal.

The players have to take responsibility, but the fact is some of them aren't good enough or will never be fit enough.

The buck stops with management.

Yes I agree. If they attacked they ended up with a shot on target, we had another touch or passed to someone else.

Take Coker for example. Last week in the 87th minute he was positive got his cross in to the right area without looking up. Millwall keeper flaps result 3-1. This week, first 10, he gets the ball in a good position high up the pitch loses it after having a needless extra touch. We chase back and win the ball, Cocker gets it again in the same position but with even more time. What does he do instead of giving Mooney a nice early cross thinks he's now a winger and runs at the last defender into their box. Result ...defender nicks the ball and they break and nearly score.

I can't be the only one pulling my hair out when we don't deliver a cross. Is it down to team selection or tactics. I don't think so. Perhaps we could have a club fine for people who won't deliver the ball first time.

Forget the result, Rigsby has got friends? Is this true?

Yes I agree. If they attacked they ended up with a shot on target, we had another touch or passed to someone else.

Take Coker for example. Last week in the 87th minute he was positive got his cross in to the right area without looking up. Millwall keeper flaps result 3-1. This week, first 10, he gets the ball in a good position high up the pitch loses it after having a needless extra touch. We chase back and win the ball, Cocker gets it again in the same position but with even more time. What does he do instead of giving Mooney a nice early cross thinks he's now a winger and runs at the last defender into their box. Result ...defender nicks the ball and they break and nearly score.

I can't be the only one pulling my hair out when we don't deliver a cross. Is it down to team selection or tactics. I don't think so. Perhaps we could have a club fine for people who won't deliver the ball first time.

A classic for this was Mooney in the very last minute of the first half, he had ball on edge of their box but kept trying to work his way to a clear and open sight of goal - which was never going to happen - or for a fellow striker to offer up for a clear shot; ended up with a pass back towards centre circle and the ref then blew for the interval: WTF is the mentality a week after getting a goal from a deflection from a shot at goal?

What's the point putting an early ball into the box when:

A) we have players who do not get forward to support attacks

B) play one fairly imobile striker

What's the point putting an early ball into the box when:

A) we have players who do not get forward to support attacks

B) play one fairly imobile striker

We had plenty of bodies in the box first half yesterday. Besides both Mooney and Cox want the ball early and in front of them. The longer you delay a cross the more time the defenders have to get goal side. Mooney and Cox won't out muscle anyone from a standing start.

As a defender you have the advantage once you can face away from your goal. If your running back towards your own goal its far more difficult, think of our first goal at Sheffield. Quick early cross and the defender deflects it in because he had to stretch with Cox racing in behind him.

A classic for this was Mooney in the very last minute of the first half, he had ball on edge of their box but kept trying to work his way to a clear and open sight of goal - which was never going to happen - or for a fellow striker to offer up for a clear shot; ended up with a pass back towards centre circle and the ref then blew for the interval: WTF is the mentality a week after getting a goal from a deflection from a shot at goal?

Indeed. If you remember just 1 minute earlier a Barrett clearance was charged down an O'toole broke down our left. He glanced up twice whilst running for the loose ball and you just knew he would put a quick low cross in. We done well to defend that.

I think this is modern tactics mate, it happens all the time in the upper echelons of the sport. I get so frustrated at watching England who get up to the last third and instead of a cross it goes sideways and back. Not good viewing at all. The coaching probably adopts the attitude of not losing the ball. But you ain't going to score if you don't cross or shoot.
UTB

Back