• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
Huge win for the team tonight. Roll on the first hand reports of the game. According to the radio commentators Oxley had a good game tonight, keeping Southend in it when they were under the cosh. Credit where it's due to him tonight.

6 points from 9, three games ago that seemed very unrealistic. The second half on Saturday was absolutely shambolic but credit to the team tonight, and nice to see us getting points at home again!

Great result tonight and hopefully it is the start of a run of good form for us!

Vital win and a good performance, though we once again had our worst 15 minutes at the start of the second half and Oxford could have been out of sight if they could finish. After we took the lead again we were superb defensively and the back three worked well, with Inniss improving after a nervy start. Referee was poor, their goal should never have stood and could understand them feeling aggrieved by the penalty. Think a draw would probably have been fair to both teams and not sure we would have scored without the pen, but it was a very promising performance after last weekend.

Oxley 6.5 One good stop, nearly a repeat of the first at Northampton and always kicks straight down the middle.
Demetriou 7.5 Great overlapping runs but rarely caught out at the back
Inniss 7 Looked nervous at the start but grew into the game and was commanding in the air
Ferdinand 7.5 Quietly efficient and composed as he martialled the back line, though he was moving gingerly throughout
Barrett 7.5 Solid and threw himself in the way of anything and everything as usual
Coker 7.5 Like Demetriou, more like his old self bar a few defensive slips
McGlashan 8.5 Superb, pressed everything and his pace was our biggest threat before he tired
Leonard 8 Quality goal and covered for Wordsworth well
Wordsworth 7 Looked tired and rusty but did well and did bring something new to our attacking play
McLaughlin 7 More quiet than usual but good movement
Mooney 7 Hard job for him on his own at times but some good knock downs

Subs
O'Neill 7.5 Worked hard and put himself into everything
Atkinson 6.5 Ran around and did his job

Still don't think Brown is the man. Oxford could and should have had more and the players looked more dumbfounded every time he made a tactical change, and that was only when he was bored of abusing whichever referee in his sight. Good performance and good win though. Hopefully will get some confidence back.

Vital win and a good performance, though we once again had our worst 15 minutes at the start of the second half and Oxford could have been out of sight if they could finish. After we took the lead again we were superb defensively and the back three worked well, with Inniss improving after a nervy start. Referee was poor, their goal should never have stood and could understand them feeling aggrieved by the penalty. Think a draw would probably have been fair to both teams and not sure we would have scored without the pen, but it was a very promising performance after last weekend.

Oxley 6.5 One good stop, nearly a repeat of the first at Northampton and always kicks straight down the middle.
Demetriou 7.5 Great overlapping runs but rarely caught out at the back
Inniss 7 Looked nervous at the start but grew into the game and was commanding in the air
Ferdinand 7.5 Quietly efficient and composed as he martialled the back line, though he was moving gingerly throughout
Barrett 7.5 Solid and threw himself in the way of anything and everything as usual
Coker 7.5 Like Demetriou, more like his old self bar a few defensive slips
McGlashan 8.5 Superb, pressed everything and his pace was our biggest threat before he tired
Leonard 8 Quality goal and covered for Wordsworth well
Wordsworth 7 Looked tired and rusty but did well and did bring something new to our attacking play
McLaughlin 7 More quiet than usual but good movement
Mooney 7 Hard job for him on his own at times but some good knock downs

Subs
O'Neill 7.5 Worked hard and put himself into everything
Atkinson 6.5 Ran around and did his job

Still don't think Brown is the man. Oxford could and should have had more and the players looked more dumbfounded every time he made a tactical change, and that was only when he was bored of abusing whichever referee in his sight. Good performance and good win though. Hopefully will get some confidence back.

Has it not been well documented that Oxley played a bit of a blinder tonight?

No he didn't play that well. Spilled a shot in the first half that Oxford nearly scored from. Tipped one over in the second half and his kicking was good. We owe more to Oxford's ability to shoot high and wide from 10 yards or so out

Only 6.5 for Oxley don't go over board with that score .From what BBC ESSEX was saying the made at least 3 outstanding saves so surly he deserves a little more like 7.5 for a first class game

No he didn't play that well. Spilled a shot in the first half that Oxford nearly scored from. Tipped one over in the second half and his kicking was good. We owe more to Oxford's ability to shoot high and wide from 10 yards or so out

Sounded from the official match thread that he made a number of decent saves. But as I wasn't there, fair enough.

Mixed bag, 6.5 is probably a fair score. He was very, very lucky to not concede a similar goal to Saturday in the first half, it was too quick to catch but he parried it straight to their player in the middle, I think he needs to practice pushing to the side with those kinds of shots because it's a clear weakness of his. He also came out at one point when he shouldn't have (although he did make up for it by staying out to pressure the striker into shooting over the bar, but if you need to be out of your box to pressure a defender it means you've been caught in no man's land).

He did make some great saves to keep us in it in the second half though which shows there is a good keeper in there, if he can get his confidence up and works on his weaknesses there's no reason he can't do well here. He definitely won us the points in the last 20 today.

From Ayrshire Blue on another thread:

'Buzzing for Oxley tonight. Won us the game in the end, I don't think he knew a whole lot about the last save but he just threw himself at it, was nice to see the players make a point of bigging him up as well. Zero to hero in a matter of days. Fair play to you Ox'

Heard that on BBC Essex on my way home and was astounded. Didn't do much wrong other than when he spilled a shot first half but other than that he can't have made more than 2 or 3 saves max.

Someone get me a paint brush
No being serious this is what we have got put up with
Until we get players in ,back 5 at home get used to it

Heard that on BBC Essex on my way home and was astounded. Didn't do much wrong other than when he spilled a shot first half but other than that he can't have made more than 2 or 3 saves max.

He did save us against Millwall

Someone get me a paint brush
No being serious this is what we have got put up with
Until we get players in ,back 5 at home get used to it
well that's a shame. Yes it was a back 5 but the full backs really pushed on and personally I thought it was a decent performance and not negative at all.

my real concern was Wordsworth and Leonard being together as a centre two and for me that didn't really work as Oxford just ran through the gaps in the centre. I personally think that the pair of them are too attack minded to play together in a centre two.

Hard to believe with all the doom and gloom but we're actually only 2 points off 9th place..

Back