• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Two players up front with movement occupy defences, which means that when a midfielder makes a run an opponent has to track back and be more aware than, say, a spare defender , who is watching the play in front of him.
The combination of Ranger & cox with Macglaughlin and Wordswoth making runs is drawing opposition midfield so back.
This gives us the upper hand when attacking, particular when we attack with a bit of speed , as well as giving the opponents fewer options in an advanced midfield should the get the ball.
Ferdinands vision at the back also picks up some of the more dangerous positions the opponents may get into.
I feel that Ferdinand is organising the other defenders well and is bringing Thompsons game on.
We may see over the next few games, as Wordsworth becomes "the man to watch" that Lenny gets a bit more space too, in the past he has been the midfielder to concentrate on and he has been shackled by attentive opponents.

Agree with you,

We now have a man mountain but an athlete up top to hold the ball,Cox or another will benefit from Nile's forward play.

I still shudder when the likes of Corr was battered black and blue in the lone role.

Agree with you,

We now have a man mountain but an athlete up top to hold the ball,Cox or another will benefit from Nile's forward play.

I still shudder when the likes of Corr was battered black and blue in the lone role.

He's not as good as Jason Williams though, is he ?

Two players up front with movement occupy defences, which means that when a midfielder makes a run an opponent has to track back and be more aware than, say, a spare defender , who is watching the play in front of him.
The combination of Ranger & cox with Macglaughlin and Wordswoth making runs is drawing opposition midfield so back.
This gives us the upper hand when attacking, particular when we attack with a bit of speed , as well as giving the opponents fewer options in an advanced midfield should the get the ball.
Ferdinands vision at the back also picks up some of the more dangerous positions the opponents may get into.
I feel that Ferdinand is organising the other defenders well and is bringing Thompsons game on.
We may see over the next few games, as Wordsworth becomes "the man to watch" that Lenny gets a bit more space too, in the past he has been the midfielder to concentrate on and he has been shackled by attentive opponents.

Spot on, that.

If you attack in numbers, it's actually a positive defensive move, as teams have to drop deeper to defend.

The key is having players up top who don't give the ball away or fall over and we then get hit on the break.

I really like the balance of the side at the moment.

He's not as good as Jason Williams though, is he ?

Oh god another comic quip from yourself,my sides are splitting.

Lets put this to bed,

I stated on several occasions give Williams the chance,at this time the team couldn't score for toffee,I also stated Williams had missed the boat here and should move to another club.

Williams would benefit playing alongside Ranger IMO ,but that's another story.

Mrs Blue said:
Williams would benefit playing alongside Ranger IMO ,but that's another story.

He might benefit. It's just unlikely that WE would. That's the story.

Ranger and Cox upfront were always the plan until a badly bruised ankle that had nothing to do with his level of fitness put paid to that. In my opinion, we're now watching the team that Phil had in mind.

Agree with you,

We got promoted when Corr was in the lone role. It might not have been pretty but it worked.

Ranger and Cox upfront were always the plan until a badly bruised ankle that had nothing to do with his level of fitness put paid to that.

Oh i see ,Phil relied on Cox who hardly scored and Ranger who hadn't played for over 2 year's...Phil then dropped Cox(star signing tut tut)and Phil must have been stunned when an unfit Ranger collects a knock......Both players yesterday were hauled off after how long...

As I stated long may it continue but let's be realistic about the surge up the table,yes I'm over the moon too but I cannot ignore the previous 30 plus league games which some have.

Oh i see ,Phil relied on Cox who hardly scored and Ranger who hadn't played for over 2 year's...Phil then dropped Cox(star signing tut tut)and Phil must have been stunned when an unfit Ranger collects a knock......Both players yesterday were hauled off after how long...

As I stated long may it continue but let's be realistic about the surge up the table,yes I'm over the moon too but I cannot ignore the previous 30 plus league games which some have.

Why not?....You ignored the 30 before that.

... the surge up the table,yes I'm over the moon too ....

Well, that me laugh out loud! But at least , unlike some others, you do come back on here even on those weeks when the tide is swimming against you.

But can you respond to the main point of South Bank Hank's post, that a partnership of Ranger/Cox was indeed PB's plan A for the season? I think it was. Do you agree or disagree with that (regardless of whether you think it was the correct/risky plan)??

Ranger and Cox upfront were always the plan until a badly bruised ankle that had nothing to do with his level of fitness put paid to that. In my opinion, we're now watching the team that Phil had in mind.

Maybe. I'm still not fully convinced by Demetriou and I'm not sure Thompson would have been his 1st choice RCB. Other than that, I think you're probably right.

Not that I'm one for tinkering when on a run of good results...but howsabout a back line of Thompson..Ferdinand..Innis and Coker..........ok, just a thought :unsure:

Maybe. I'm still not fully convinced by Demetriou and I'm not sure Thompson would have been his 1st choice RCB. Other than that, I think you're probably right.

I meant more the team set-up rather than the actual 11.

I also think we're certainly in a much stronger position of knowing our best 11 though.

Well, that me laugh out loud! But at least , unlike some others, you do come back on here even on those weeks when the tide is swimming against you.

But can you respond to the main point of South Bank Hank's post, that a partnership of Ranger/Cox was indeed PB's plan A for the season? I think it was. Do you agree or disagree with that (regardless of whether you think it was the correct/risky plan)??

With Phil who knows his actual plan ?,I certainly don't .

Just seems to me the the club recieved the released list and offer the most obscure players deals.

With Phil who knows his actual plan ?,I certainly don't .

Just seems to me the the club recieved the released list and offer the most obscure players deals.

So if I am reading that correctly...you have an opinion that PB only offers deals to "obscure" players? Well ok, I suppose that's an opinion but I shan't comment right now! BUT... you don't have any opinion at all on whether PB's plan A for the season was a Ranger/Cox partnership? Really??

You seem to have opinions on most topics - as shown by your above view on signing obscure players - but on something very close to your heart, you are opinion-less. That's a bit disappointing.

So if I am reading that correctly...you have an opinion that PB only offers deals to "obscure" players? Well ok, I suppose that's an opinion but I shan't comment right now! BUT... you don't have any opinion at all on whether PB's plan A for the season was a Ranger/Cox partnership? Really??

You seem to have opinions on most topics - as shown by your above view on signing obscure players - but on something very close to your heart, you are opinion-less. That's a bit disappointing.

Let me explain.

Mooney is contracted so when Phil signed him Phil must have thought Mooney was the main man...When Phil signed all the other forwards Phil must have thought they will be my main man....they all bombed except Corr who bailed out.

Of course Phil might have thought Cox and Ranger will be my main men,yet he soon dropped Cox.

Phil was chasing Fortune,telling the press all sorts,Fortune currently is a bit part player.

For any professional manager to take a punt on a player who hasn't played for over 2 year's and carries baggage Is either clever management or I suspect just pure luck on Phil's part,after all even he cannot keep signing dud forwards .

Not that I'm one for tinkering when on a run of good results...but howsabout a back line of Thompson..Ferdinand..Innis and Coker..........ok, just a thought :unsure:

No thanks. Thompson is never a right back, even tho he has filled in there in his career. He is slow to turn and would get skimmed by a speedy winger. He also has fallen over a few times when being turned this way and that.
I'm still waiting to see Demetriou, Inniss, Ferdinand and Coker in a back four.

Ranger has certainly made a difference to the team, hopefully he will be able to play 90 minutes on a regular basis. If not then Fortune is a reasonable back up as he also has a bit of quality and is very good at holding the ball up, his first touch is decent.

Back