• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-1 Swindon Town

Definitely 2 points dropped there, but in all honesty.. how good was their goalkeeper tonight.

Their keeper was clapped by sections of the East stand. Great performance by him.

Very frustrating that it takes the inevitable equaliser to wake us up. Credit to the keeper but there were a few chances that we should not have given him the chance to make a save.

Match report: Southend United 1, Swindon Town 1

SOUTHEND United’s frustrating recent record against Swindon Town continued with a 1-1 draw against the Robins at Roots Hall*tonight.

More...

Difficult to be too critical. Another game unbeaten and had someone offered us 4 points off Bradford and Swindon I would have taken it, but after saturdays win I think many of us would have hope for the win tonight. First half we played very well again and looked comfortable. Second half no idea what's happened. First twenty five mins we were awful and in the end paid the price. Last twenty minutes we were brilliant and very unfortunate not to score what would have been deserved winner.

my only criticism is that Fortune should have come on much sooner than he did, had he done so I think we would have won the game. Ranger played well but looked knackered half way through the second half. But it's another point gained, onto Walsall

So many chances... came away from RH feeling as though we'd lost

thought we played some great football tonight, great workrate throughout ! deserved the win - UTBs!

Swindon started well and were passing it around nicely until we scored. Thought their big centre-half Rossi-Branco played particularly well and unsettled Nile with his dark arts. However, this was a game we really should have won but we strangely played without much urgency until they equalised. Delfouneso's incredible miss really should have woken us up before Obika's goal. Thompson went AWOL on Saturday trying to chase down balls in the opposition half (but luckily Atkinson was covering for him on Saturday) and this time we paid the price for his folly. The introduction of Fortune certainly galvanised us and nearly led to what would have been a deserved winner for our efforts in the last ten minutes but Vigouroux was certainly vigourous in his defiance and saved the point for the plucky visitors. Good finish, disappointing outcome.

I suppose to be that dominant and be disappointed with a draw shows how far we've come. Some of the football we played was up there with the best I've seen at RH, often involving our ex prem players who showed their quality. If anything we got too confident which was probably our undoing. You could see their goal coming for a good 10 mins before it arrived. Oh well another point in the bag. Onwards & upwards.

Swindon started well and were passing it around nicely until we scored. Thought their big centre-half Rossi-Branco played particularly well and unsettled Nile with his dark arts. However, this was a game we really should have won but we strangely played without much urgency until they equalised. Delfouneso's incredible miss really should have woken us up before Obika's goal. Thompson went AWOL on Saturday trying to chase down balls in the opposition half (but luckily Atkinson was covering for him on Saturday) and this time we paid the price for his folly. The introduction of Fortune certainly galvanised us and nearly led to what would have been a deserved winner for our efforts in the last ten minutes but Vigouroux was certainly vigourous in his defiance and saved the point for the plucky visitors. Good finish, disappointing outcome.

We sat back right away in the second half, and was just defending our goal, instead of pushing forward for another goal, their no 10 was showing signs of danger, sitting deep we invited them in a few times.

After they scored, they did exactly what we were doing, they were happy with the point, and we just kept on attacking thier deep play....we must not take the foot off the gas when we are winning, we have to push for more goals.

That cost us points, on the balance of play I think we deserved the win, we are lucky because all our players are playing with confidence.

Rolling back to last Sat....would it not of been a plan to send Fortune on again for Cox....and releasing the midfielders to pinch a winner (Atko)......just a thought.....point gained..no defeat:unsure:

A very strange game. We were lacklustre and our usual pressing game wasn't evident for the start of the game. Swindon passed the ball well, and we let them.

We score and looked comfortable. Swindon started to have opportunities on the break and scored with a very deflected shot.

We then absolutes battered them for the last 15 to 20 mins and could have scored 3 or 4 easily.

Overall we didn't have enough tempo and didn't take the many chances that came our way.

Oxley 6. Had nothing to do other than pick the ball out of the net.

Timlin 6. Not a left back but stuck to his task. We missed coker tonight.

Thompson 6. Good defensively but left us exposed for the goal with his barrettesque foray forward.

Ferdinand 7 looked very composed and did his job

Demetriou 8. The pick of the defense. Gets forward well.

Mclaughlin 6. Not his best night. Worked hard.

Wordsworth 7. Was involved in almost all going forward.

Leonard 7.5 some very very good tackles to break play.

Atkinson 7.5 what an engine. Very quick feet to score a clever goal.

Cox 7. Clever play and works tirelessly. Missed a very good opportunity that a player of his quality should score.

Ranger 8. Big strong and a handful.

Fortune 8. Looked great and help us up a gear. Should be given a longer deal.

Crowd 6. Much like the team. Good in spells and poor in spells.

Officials 7. Didn't notice them which is a good thing.

This result will mean naff all if we follow this up with 3 points on the road Saturday.

Frustrating evening, in every respect.

RATINGS :

Oxley 7 - Couple of good saves and can't be faulted for the goal. We were in the South Upper tonight and you could hear him shouting instructions and directing the defence, which is good to have.

Demetriou 7.5 - Played well and his shot was screaming into the top corner when it hit the Swindon fella square on the back of the head, who knew nothing about it, at all.

Ferdinand 8 - Didn't do anything wrong and gave Thommo an absolute earful for the goal.

Thompson 7.5 - Another solid performance and won header after header during our late siege.

Timlin 6.5 - Struggled for me, but in an unfamiliar role, to be fair to him.

Leonard 7.5 - Usual Lenny performance.

Wordsworth 6.5 - Coasted too much for my liking, but got into some great positions to score towards the end and played Will in for the goal.

Atkinson 7 - Solid display and is becoming the new Frank Lampard midfield scoring machine!

McLaughlin 6.5 - Bit in and out, but worked hard, as usual.

Ranger 7.5 - Always a presence, but would like to see him have a bit more conviction when in on goal.

Cox 7 - Linked the play up well, but like Nile, just lacks a bit of confidence in front of goal at the moment.

SUBS :

Fortune 7.5 - Really made a difference and that was a great effort at the end that nearly won it for us.

MAN OF THE MATCH :

Lawrence Vigouroux 9 - The save from Wordy's effort was right in front of us and was extraordinary. He also pulled off a string of other saves in that last 15 minutes.

OVERALL :

They defended like their lives depended on it at the end and how we didn't score is beyond me, but we should have gone for them like that in the first 20 minutes of the second half and killed the game.

I don't like it when we don't play with intestity for periods during the game and tonight, we tried to boss and control the game at a slower pace than on Saturday.

As others have said, the equalizer was coming.

Still lots to be positive about, but it was one of those nights where heads, knees, thighs, you name it, and a world class keeping performance earned them the point which, I thought they deserved, in truth.

Last edited:
Some of the best goalkeeping and defending by an opposition side at Roots Hall for many a game. We only woke up after the equaliser and when we did we looked like a Championship side. Phil... free the shackles!

All in all, disappointing not to win but we are looking like a side who will continue to take points each game and so should push towards playoffs comfortably if we can keep this momentum. Walsall took a beating tonight so that game is there for the taking on saturday you would think.

Special mention to Fortune tonight. He was absolutely unplayable in that final 15 mins. What a player to have on the bench.

Last night's game showed how far we have improved in terms of both results and style of play. Expectations have also risen so three points were there for the taking we thought.

We started off well but lacked quite the same intensity of Saturday's first half. Nevertheless, we were pinging the ball around well and were rewarded with Will Atkinson scoring (again). After that I was struggling with my expectations, I wanted us to batter them and score loads and it wasn't quite happening. We didn't play badly, in fact Ranger kept making me think he was going to break his home duck, but he just didn't quite make it. Still, 1-0 at half-time we were bound to score more in the second half, I thought.

Second half, and shades of Saturday as we sat back and invited Swindon to come at us as we settled for hitting them on the counter. If you sit back long enough, something bad will eventually happen, and sure enough Swindon equalised. Ironically they managed this after breaking out from one of our counter attacks led by Thompson!! Their goal was the signal for us to do the battering bit and we duly laid siege to their goal for the last 20 minutes. A combination of over excited shooting, a knackered Ranger running out of steam, and most importantly a Swindon keeper in inspired form kept us out.

Overall, it wasn't a bad game, but it sort of happened in fits and starts for me.. Again, nobody played badly but we couldn't quite get over the line with a win, so probably a draw was a fair outcome. Kudos to the crowd the whole game, TBV kept it up for 90 minutes and 'Come on Southend' echoed from everywhere towards the end. Also a special mention to Michael Timlin. I thought he had a good game last night and fully justified his selection at left back.

Onwards and upwards to Walsall.

PS - Another 'forgot to mention'...... I thought Fortune was the dog's danglies during his sub's spell. Pleas Phil, extend the man's contract.

Last edited:
What was good to see was that when they equalized, we really powered at them and on another night would have won 4-1.

A few weeks ago, our heads would have dropped and we may even have let in a sloppy winner for the oppo, but the new found belief was really evident in that last 15 minutes.

What an absolutely brilliant performance by Swindon's goalkeeper, without any shadow of a doubt it was his performance that prevented us from getting the win that we probably deserved. Must have been about 5 top drawer saves, plus managing to clear a goal bound shot off the line ourselves and a penalty not given when Woody was bundled over meant that Swindon walked away with a point from a game we should have won.

Thompson was rightly and royally laced by Ferdinand for getting caught way out of position for Swindon's break and goal. Maybe all the positive praise had gone to his head. I did think Demetriou got caught out of position a few times as well but not with such catastrophic consequences. Made the right side a bit vulnerable, although Lenny dropped back more often than not.

No doubt we missed Coker, meant that McLaughlin was having to do all the running down that wing on his own - and got chopped 3 times for his trouble. I felt he'd probably got a knock the 2nd time so was a bit surprised he carried on, hope there's no problems as a result. Fortune should have been brought on earlier, his energy and speed made a massive difference. Swindon were going two up on Ranger and he was very subdued in the 2nd half so a change of personnel gave us different openings which Fortune exploited to great effect.

Oxley - 7, had little to do but comes out so much better than Bentley did, one parry that people might want to criticise him for in the 1st half
Demetriou - 7.5, some good running but out of position a couple of times. Unlucky not to score with a blast which looked as if the guy it hit should have been knocked unconscious!
Thompson - 6.5, has to hold his hands up for culpability for the goal, which is a shame as he's been playing well. I like the way he's attacking the ball in the opposition box for corners and the like
Ferdinand - 7.5, quite a solid performance, used his experience well
Timlin - 7, thought he did ok. Brown will have a decision to make, Coker had one of those big medical boots on and was on crutches and if he's out long term, I'm not sure Timlin is the answer
Atkinson - 7.5, the lad is on fire, great energy and running and a 3rd goal in two games!
Leonard - 7, in the midst of most of what went on in midfield, on balance I didn't think things seemed to work for him - a couple of misplaced passes, some tackles not coming off
Wordsworth - 7.5, assist for the goal and the GK saved a near certain one from him. He's in the middle of lots of our attacking play and passes the ball so well
McLaughlin - 7.5, good 1st half but quieter 2nd. Some good running at times but was having to drop back to help Timlin out at times - probably under appreciated because this wasn't noticed
Cox - 8 (Southend MOTM), felt he was integral to everything in the top half and probably should have scored. Really like him and the movement he brings to the team
Ranger - 7.5, dominant in the air in the 1st half, less so in the 2nd

Subs:
Fortune - 8, a fantastic subs performance, looked such a threat and provided that opening up the top

Overall Man of the Match has to be Swindon's keeper though. Looking forward to seeing some of his saves on the highlights.

Officials:
An overall good performance, couple of minor things - felt Ranger was being fouled a lot and McLaughlin took a lot of punishment too. Also looked a stonewall penalty for a foul on Woody in the box.

Finally, the ladies toilets in the West. These were flooded and unusable before the game and I have made complaint to the club. I am also pursuing having both the cubicles in the middle of the stand (next to the disabled one) made into ladies only, rather than one ladies' and one men's. The situation, with one cubicle for the whole stand, was ridiculous last night and I have made my feelings known.

I diagree we sat back in the second half, yeah we took our foot of the gas, but it wasn't like Swindon were bombarding us.

Yeah they created chances, but so did we. Afer they equalised that was what sitting back looks like, but we should have scored, too many shots were weak or too near the keeper IMO; though if JDs shot hadn't hit that defending, it would have flew in!!!

Cox MOM, excellent player

Back