• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-1 Charlton Athletic

Evening Echo

The News
A LAST minute volley from Andrew Crofts saw Southend United held to a 1-1 draw against Charlton Athletic at Roots Hall this afternoon.

More...

Point apiece was a fair result I think, we certainly had chances to have gone 2 or 3 up, especially in the second half, but they were decent value for their goal and I'd expect them to move up the table before the season ends. A number of brilliant displays, hard to criticise much at all. For me, Fortune was exhausted and should have come off, would have thought O'Neill might have done a better job on the left to support Timlin and then put McGlashan up top to run onto Ranger's knockdowns.

Smith 9 Lost count of the great saves he made in the second half. Improve his kicking and he's certainly no worse than Oxley.
Demetriou 6.5 Sloppy in possession but made the right moves and runs.
Thompson 9 Rock solid and looks better with every game.
Ferdinand 9 Perfect partner alongside Thompson, leads the defence well.
Timlin 7.5 Few needless fouls conceded but his tackling was good and he never gave up.
Atkinson 8 A completely different player, constantly creating spaces and opportunities.
Leonard 7 Sat deep and defended well, industrious performance.
Wordsworth 7.5 Looked to break forward and had some good moves.
McLaughlin 9 Quality performance, can only hope the injury isn't serious.
Cox 8.5 Intelligent on and off the ball, superbly taken goal.
Fortune 7.5 Tired later on but put himself about and was a thorn in their side.

Subs
Ranger 7 Won the aerial battles he had and tried to get things moving.
McGlashan 6.5 Lax defensively and struggled with the physical battle.

Good performance in front of a good crowd. Think we seemed to tire a little and that was what cost us as we stopped the pressing and free flowing movement that was causing them so many problems. Fingers crossed McLaughlin isn't seriously injured but will take a point from that, we might have edged it narrowly but think a point was fair.

Point apiece was a fair result I think, we certainly had chances to have gone 2 or 3 up, especially in the second half, but they were decent value for their goal and I'd expect them to move up the table before the season ends. A number of brilliant displays, hard to criticise much at all. For me, Fortune was exhausted and should have come off, would have thought O'Neill might have done a better job on the left to support Timlin and then put McGlashan up top to run onto Ranger's knockdowns.

Smith 9 Lost count of the great saves he made in the second half. Improve his kicking and he's certainly no worse than Oxley.
Demetriou 6.5 Sloppy in possession but made the right moves and runs.
Thompson 9 Rock solid and looks better with every game.
Ferdinand 9 Perfect partner alongside Thompson, leads the defence well.
Timlin 7.5 Few needless fouls conceded but his tackling was good and he never gave up.
Atkinson 8 A completely different player, constantly creating spaces and opportunities.
Leonard 7 Sat deep and defended well, industrious performance.
Wordsworth 7.5 Looked to break forward and had some good moves.
McLaughlin 9 Quality performance, can only hope the injury isn't serious.
Cox 8.5 Intelligent on and off the ball, superbly taken goal.
Fortune 7.5 Tired later on but put himself about and was a thorn in their side.

Subs
Ranger 7 Won the aerial battles he had and tried to get things moving.
McGlashan 6.5 Lax defensively and struggled with the physical battle.

Good performance in front of a good crowd. Think we seemed to tire a little and that was what cost us as we stopped the pressing and free flowing movement that was causing them so many problems. Fingers crossed McLaughlin isn't seriously injured but will take a point from that, we might have edged it narrowly but think a point was fair.

Think an average rating of circur 8 for the starting eleven is generous to say the least. McLaughlin and Atkinson both need to be taking the chances they were afforded. Fortune, clearly exhausted, broke down several fast moving attacks as it seemed he couldn't keep up. Cox I wish was a little more selfish but that's a personal thing and often open for debate!

A relatively standard 1-1 draw and nothing to be too disheartened about though.

I'd say a draw was a fair result, both teams looked good and deserved their goal. Shame we couldn't hold on but let's not complain too much, 12 unbeaten is great and everyone played well. I was especially impressed with Timlin, Leonard, Cox and Smith was good value for Man of the Match. It's been a very good year for SUFC, and let's hope the run can continue well into 2017. UTB

Yep, I'd say a fair result!

RATINGS :

Smith 8.5 - Had a really excellent game and pulled off two great saves.

Demetriou 6.5 - Looked a bit out of sorts today.

Ferdinand 8 - Reads the game so well. A huge asset.

Thompson 8 - Won everything in the air. Superb display.

Timlin 8.5 MOM - Just shaded it over Ted, for me. Really is the number 1 choice at left-back, IMHO.

Leonard 7.5 - Usual hard grafting display, but his passing wasn't on song as much as normal.

Atkinson 7 - Steady enough and usual high energy performance.

Wordsworth 7 - Solid again and slightly better than Boxing Day. Thoughtful and creative with the set-pieces.

McLaughlin 7.5 - Was having a decent game, until the injury.

Cox 7.5 - Quality finish.

Fortune 7 - A bit in and out, but for a 35 year old, has amazing energy.

SUBS :

Ranger 7 - Did well enough when he came on.

McGlashan 7 - Ditto, above.

CHARLTON :

Looked a decent side and the substitutions proved crucial for them. Deserved the point, I felt.

OVERALL :

Not quite on it like the last couple of home games, but credit to Charlton for that. They closed quickly and had some strength at the back.

Starting with the result, 1-1 overall was a fair result.

Lets be honest here, expectations were very high for this game given our recent run and try though they did, the game didn't quite live up to recent performances, or for that matter, crowd expectations. Plenty of effort from all the players but the final passes were too often wasted. That may sound a bit depressive but this side can play better than their performance today. Highlights for me were Teddy Smith's confident performance, Cox's Action Man impression, Lenny covering everything and everyone during the 90 minutes and Anton Ferdinand showing all of his experience with some sublime interceptions and tackles.

Reading what I have just written about those players you would think we were great, but as a team they just didn't quite click today. Positives - Cox's goal, it came out of nowhere and was clinically put away, the defence looked pretty tight and some of Timlin's tackles were thunderous. Negatives - Mclaughlin's injury, I hope it's not as serious as it looked. It's probably worth mentioning that Charlton got their tactics right where Fortune and McLaughlin were concerned. They had two players on each of our two each time they got the ball and closed them down early.

So, onwards to next Saturday and Sheffield United. It will be interesting to see whether we pull another 10k crowd. Certainly there were a lot of strange faces around our area and some of their comments suggested they haven't been to the Hall for a while. Great to see so many there, but a special mention for the mature gentleman behind me who spent the whole of the first half totally rubbishing anything that Timlin did............please just **** off and go and sit somewhere else if you can't get behind players.

Timlin MOM for me too, Ted was also great, I can't see Ben replacing Timlin The Terrier, and I can't see Ted being replaced as well, both playing too good to be replaced. We sat back, not happy letting the goal in that late..

a special mention for the mature gentleman behind me who spent the whole of the first half totally rubbishing anything that Timlin did............please just **** off and go and sit somewhere else if you can't get behind players.

I don't think you should talk about Mrs Blue like that......

McG was about to come on for Fortune when McL was injured. For a split second he put his coat back on. So rather than warm somebody else up, the obvious choice was to bring McG on.

Just felt we didn't need three up front at that point. We needed a bit more steel in defence and mcglashan dosent give that.

McGlashan replaced McLaughlin on the wing so like for like swap, the same position as O' Neill would have slotted into. Wasnt really 3 up front

Back