• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hold on.

He was skipper and ever present until his public statement after the Dale game...he has vanished off the radar without any statement from the club whatsoever.

Club legend who deserves much better treatment IMO ...minimum public explanation from the club.

Tilson and Bazza both treated with contempt ...not good.

Sadly, AB raised the white flag to fighting at the bottom of the league. So no explanation required. You do not publicise that your captain has lost confidence to that degree.
So you quietly move him to one side.

Also , sentiment nowadays has no place in the modern game. It's a business and people have a lot of money at stake, regardless of the level. Managers get sacked at the drop of a hat, so for them, everyday they survive is a bonus.

Sadly, AB raised the white flag to fighting at the bottom of the league. So no explanation required. You do not publicise that your captain has lost confidence to that degree.

Since Bazza's honest public explanation...the team have flown up the table...whatever the reason.

Good captain even when not involved.

Sadly for AB, I agree entirely with that.

It can't just be a coincidence that, since that interview, he hasn't played.

Felt at the time it's the wrong signal to send out by anyone, but from the club captain, was a bit foolish.

He may have meant well, in a "we need to roll our sleeves up" way, but as results have proved since, it was way too early in the season to be suggesting it.

... and I love AB, as a player and for his heartfelt love of our club.

Since Bazza's honest public explanation...the team have flown up the table...whatever the reason.

So when AB goes public stating we are in a relegation battle , that's ok, if Phil says something along the same lines , he's lost the dressing room ! Also , I don't buy into this good captain malarkey just because he is passionate. For me Ferdinand and even Timlin appear better captains from my position as a spectator as they are always talking to the players around them, giving advise etc.

For someone that loves stats, you don't appear to have provided the stats with and without AB this season ? Could you please , just for my own curiosity.

Sadly for AB, I agree entirely with that.

It can't just be a coincidence that, since that interview, he hasn't played.

Felt at the time it's the wrong signal to send out by anyone, but from the club captain, was a bit foolish.

He may have meant well, in a "we need to roll our sleeves up" way, but as results have proved since, it was way too early in the season to be suggesting it.

... and I love AB, as a player and for his heartfelt love of our club.

As a certain Roy Keane found out as well, at Man Utd ! We are not the only Club to take on the Club Captain if it's felt they spoke out of turn !

It wasn't an honest quote, we were about 8 games into the season, 2 points from mid table; by saying we were in a relegation fight, would suggest he didn't see us improving and expected to spend all season there.

The best statement would have been to say "yes we are struggling, however it's still very early into the season and we have enough quality to move up the table".

However, it doesn't matter what the reason is, we are a far better side without him, so no need for any statement whatsoever.

So when AB goes public stating we are in a relegation battle , that's ok, if Phil says something along the same lines , he's lost the dressing room ! Also , I don't buy into this good captain malarkey just because he is passionate. For me Ferdinand and even Timlin appear better captains from my position as a spectator as they are always talking to the players around them, giving advise etc.

For someone that loves stats, you don't appear to have provided the stats with and without AB this season ? Could you please , just for my own curiosity.

When he rejoined us the results improved ,in fact without checking we went on a super run I do believe .

He bravely spoke out after Dale and paid the price,I strongly feel after that game player power took over,they the players demanded different tactics and different style which has seen us go on an impressive run.

Because the whole squad were unhappy with the formation and tactics. If we had carried on with that formation and tactics we would still be struggling

When he rejoined us the results improved ,in fact without checking we went on a super run I do believe .

He bravely spoke out after Dale and paid the price,I strongly feel after that game player power took over,they the players demanded different tactics and different style which has seen us go on an impressive run.

Bravely spoke out :hilarious:

Ah, so it's the players that got all our key players fit and signed Ferdinand then, hadn't realised that

When he rejoined us ??? What's that got to do with this season ! We were getting mauled this season ! Provide the stats for this season with and without AB !

I will ignore the player power thing ... as that's heresay, please provide me the stats, come on MrsStat ! Also, i wouldn't say personally that intimating a relegation battle is brave so early in the season , I'd call that surrender !

Because the whole squad were unhappy with the formation and tactics. If we had carried on with that formation and tactics we would still be struggling

We had no choice, why do struggle to understand that!!

We couldn't play AB in a flat back four, signing and playing Ferdinand allowed us to do that; PB even stated early in the season he wanted to play 4-4-2

Nothing to do with AB, or his statement!!

Hardly a quiet move side ways was it? whether he was right or wrong that was a full pick up and lobbed in the bin by the club for which they have history,no way to treat a legend, shame on the club and those with very short memories.

Hardly a quiet move side ways was it? whether he was right or wrong that was a full pick up and lobbed in the bin by the club for which they have history,no way to treat a legend, shame on the club and those with very short memories.

Spot on ST.....as you say this club has history of binning legends.

Who is this 'Bazza' guy? The website doesn't show us having any players called 'Bazza'.

Sorry, but what should the club have done then?

Spot on ST.....as you say this club has history of binning legends.

Legends have a habit of signing for someone else and doubling their wages. The only one doing any binning is the player on pay day.

No one has a short memory but the fact is we were getting thrashed every week with Barrett in the squad, are you suggesting we should have forced Brown into playing him just so he wouldn't feel cast out? Results have to come before sentiment.

This term legend is banded around a lot ! I saw it used for Maher the other day. I loved Maher , always did , I always remember however a certain Maher being booed so badly by the fans , that he could only play in away games . So lets not always be quick to tarnish the club or management for treatment of players shall we.

We had no choice, why do struggle to understand that!!

We couldn't play AB in a flat back four, signing and playing Ferdinand allowed us to do that; PB even stated early in the season he wanted to play 4-4-2

Nothing to do with AB, or his statement!!

Did Barrett play in any of the games we won as well as lost? Yes he did. I can see no reason why Barrett couldn't play in the system we currently have.

Also, 10 other players were on the pitch when we were getting caned week in, week out. Are you saying sole blame for those defeats should be apportioned to Barrett alone?

It wasn't Barrett that was the issue, it was the formation and tactics.

Barrett training with the youths, not being allowed by Brown to take the helm for an U21 game which would allow him part of his coaching badge.

Why can you not see what is really going on here?

You can stick your head in the sand and give it 'Barrett isn't good enough' all day but that isn't the actual reason he was originally dropped and treated with contempt by Brown.

I would say he isn't first choice now as Ferdy and Thommo are doing well, but to put youth defenders on the bench instead of Barrett is an insult

Back