• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Agreed. Isn't that a wonderful photo of the West Bank, in that collection.

I well up when I think about the heyday of RH. It was such a great ground and highly respected.. Like countless other Shrimpers I still love the place. KK was not wrong when he called it the Wembley of the lower leagues. Happy memories.

I well up when I think about the heyday of RH. It was such a great ground and highly respected.. Like countless other Shrimpers I still love the place. KK was not wrong when he called it the Wembley of the lower leagues. Happy memories.

To be fair he was referring to the pitch rather than the stadium

I started going in 1982....I didn't step foot in the east stand till the late 90s. It was just inconceivable that I would ever go in there...and I have no idea why tbh just odd. It was either the west or North.

West or South bank for me.
....occasionally ventured into the Paddock. Never the East stand.

North Bank, North Paddock, South Bank, West Bank (when it became cool as West Side), East Stand (with a friend's mum) I cannot ever remember watching a game from the South Paddock.

North Bank, North Paddock, South Bank, West Bank (when it became cool as West Side), East Stand (with a friend's mum) I cannot ever remember watching a game from the South Paddock.

Lol, had season tickets for several years in the South Paddock! Started off sitting in the East Blues with my dad, then my friend and I were allowed to go into the Paddock on our own as long as we were able to meet my dad after the game quite easily, hence the South end of it. Strangely I watched the Liverpool game from the North Paddock though, can't remember why!

Some great pics on that site.

Oh, and here's the South Bank from that site, if anyone can't view it there!

South Bank.jpg

Lol, had season tickets for several years in the South Paddock! Started off sitting in the East Blues with my dad, then my friend and I were allowed to go into the Paddock on our own as long as we were able to meet my dad after the game quite easily, hence the South end of it. Strangely I watched the Liverpool game from the North Paddock though, can't remember why!

View attachment 4525

Just a bit of trivia and that is the last fans to stand on the full South Bank were Preston North End on Friday 14th Sep 1990.
I cant remember if we had official segregation in place by then but I seem to recall it was probably about 300 Preston fans.
Southend won 3-2 with a last minute winner from John Cornwell.

We played Shrewsbury on the following Tuesday night and as demolition of the South Bank had already started I think the away fans were put in the Bench seats (now East Blacks) and standing in the South Paddock.

Just a bit of trivia and that is the last fans to stand on the full South Bank were Preston North End on Friday 14th Sep 1990.
I cant remember if we had official segregation in place by then but I seem to recall it was probably about 300 Preston fans.
Southend won 3-2 with a last minute winner from John Cornwell.

We played Shrewsbury on the following Tuesday night and as demolition of the South Bank had already started I think the away fans were put in the Bench seats (now East Blacks) and standing in the South Paddock.

And our magnificent South Bank was gone.
Replaced by housing and a Lego stand.

And our magnificent South Bank was gone.
Replaced by housing and a Lego stand.

Indeed.....
big-smiley-crying.gif

View attachment 4525

Gosh it was vast - I remember standing ./ sitting in that in the 1983/4 season and recall a particulary gutting loss 0-1 to the Blades!

I also remember that vital game V Wolves a few seasons later a Tuesday night game in front of 10,000 with about 3,000 rowdy Wolves fans trying to invade the pitch when we scored!

#memories!

I also remember that vital game V Wolves a few seasons later a Tuesday night game in front of 10,000 with about 3,000 rowdy Wolves fans trying to invade the pitch when we scored!

#memories!

We did the double over them that year helping us to promotion and them to play-off defeat by Aldershot.

Started off,as a 11 year old alone(AHHHH) in the South bank(west bank part),moving rather quickly a few games later to the North,again next to the West stand..watching the "PAK" partying,knowing that is where i wanted to be,even as an eleven year old...slowly moving ever nearer..then up the front of the "PAK" being pushed here and everywhere as the "PAK" pushed foreward..loving it...and one day ended up in the middle of the PAK..big sideburns,long hair,flared trousers..sometimes starting the singing or even the pushing forewards...what days,what times...dont regret a minute of it

Remember driving back from work into Southend surrounded by car loads of a certain type of Wolves supporters .The police seemed to be the only people unaware of the build up to this game,and totally lost control of the terraces if my memory serves me right.
Gosh it was vast - I remember standing ./ sitting in that in the 1983/4 season and recall a particulary gutting loss 0-1 to the Blades!

#memories!

Back