• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ok, had calmed down until I saw the highlights. As I thought in the ground, never ever a penalty, never ever a sending off. Long time since we've had such awful officials. The first half however cost us the match, as much as the awful officials, we simply didn't turn up. Very much like the Oxford first half, struggled to get to grips with weather and certainly Gillingham. However, they looked nothing and it was only the penalty that hit them goin, up until that point they had only looked a fraction better than us. The second goal was simply poor defending by about 6 players. Second half was a different story, and had we played the first half like we did the second then we wouldn't have lost this game. Bad officials or not. Scored a really good goal and spent most of the second half attacking which is one positive to take from the game. Should have had a penalty ourselves, but we were never going to get anything from this ref. So it's 3 defeats in 21, tough day, but let's move on.

Ok, had calmed down until I saw the highlights. As I thought in the ground, never ever a penalty, never ever a sending off. Long time since we've had such awful officials. The first half however cost us the match, as much as the awful officials, we simply didn't turn up. Very much like the Oxford first half, struggled to get to grips with weather and certainly Gillingham. However, they looked nothing and it was only the penalty that hit them goin, up until that point they had only looked a fraction better than us. The second goal was simply poor defending by about 6 players. Second half was a different story, and had we played the first half like we did the second then we wouldn't have lost this game. Bad officials or not. Scored a really good goal and spent most of the second half attacking which is one positive to take from the game. Should have had a penalty ourselves, but we were never going to get anything from this ref. So it's 3 defeats in 21, tough day, but let's move on.

Isn't it 3 in 22? Or two in 5 lol

4 out of the last 5 games have been away and we are still in the play-offs with Ferdy, Macca and Will, pretty much all back for March.

We are still in a great position.

4 out of the last 5 games have been away and we are still in the play-offs with Ferdy, Macca and Will, pretty much all back for March.

We are still in a great position.

The emotional roller coaster of being a Shrimper continues and has for me since 1968. It would be boring to follow Chelsea.
The positives of yesterday was the beer in the Will Adams and only paying a tenner to get in. A few years back and away fans were being fleeced £20+ !
Roll on next Saturday.

Just read that the ref, Dean Whitestone, is a Police Constable in the Met Police. Maybe he can arrest himself for the theft of 3 points.

I desperately hope we don't look back to this moment at the end of the season and wonder what if.
It never ceases to amaze me how many of these clueless clowns emanate from the police force or the army.And maybe I shouldn't say it(my hair is disappearing fast) so many of them are very bald and/or short.Suppose there is some sort of answer to my frequent question "Where do they find these plonkers?"-obviously they've never played the game.

It's a control thing. Like David Elleray was a Schoolmaster.

I guess you have to be some sort of control freak to want to ref in the first place, but it's that thin line between being sensible and wanting to be the centre of attention.

That said, you can't have hippies reffing football matches! :smile:

It's a control thing. Like David Elleray was a Schoolmaster.

I guess you have to be some sort of control freak to want to ref in the first place, but it's that thin line between being sensible and wanting to be the centre of attention.

That said, you can't have hippies reffing football matches! :smile:

Why not? If they're good enough...

Spent too much time going through the motions in the first half without creating chances. Something that Phil pointed out. No urgency in our play, we looked like the exact team that went out at Millwall with a brilliant win behind us (Scunny then, Posh now) and played the ball up and back and up and back, not threatening at all. For me, i'd have Simon Cox as a sub, someone who plays that holding ball and possession game really well. People like Ranger and Theo have the talent to get us goals early and the brilliant Cox to hold onto the lead later. Cox plays an awful lot of balls back into midfield, his markers often stand off him giving him the space, well now and again it would be great to see Cox turn and go at them (god forbid even shoot) or make things happen. Quite often, we seem to be carrying a player, yesterday i think Wordsworth. Shocking ref, influenced by the linesman. Innis was stupid tugging at the shirt right infront of that lino, he must have known before that incident that the lino that side was flagging and chipping in the refs ear, he has to be a lot more clever when being side onto that lino, even more so when he was on a yellow. The only way Gills were going to get 3 points were if we went down to 10 men. Horrible day out, much like Millwall, we are going to have to be a LOT more cute to prevent going down to 10 men. Sod doing ratings. Loking at the results yesterday, this wouldve been a massive 3points. Since when did Innis get the nod over John White anyway? White had a brilliant game the other week with Anton out.

Didn't go yesterday but I understand the anger at the officials.
However , I wish it wouldn't always be the dominant thing on here whenever we lose any game.
Just always smacks of a blame culture and never makes us ( and most other teams in sure ) sound great.
All officials do their best.
Sone are clearly better than others , but they all give it as they see it.
Some bad decisions yesterday ?
Clearly , BUT I also got the distinct impression on the radio that we weren't really on the 'game' like midweek at Posh.
Complacency ? Fatigue ? Difficult conditions ?
No idea , maybe all.
But if we had been firing on all cylinders from the start , it's a game we probably would have won.
So Ref had an influence , but we also need to take a lot of responsibility for how we approached the game.
Stop blaming everyone but ourselves.
Just admit we weren't up to it yesterday and move on

However , I wish it wouldn't always be the dominant thing on here whenever we lose any game.
Just always smacks of a blame culture and never makes us ( and most other teams in sure ) sound great.
Clearly , BUT I also got the distinct impression on the radio that we weren't really on the 'game' like midweek at Posh.
No idea , maybe all.
But if we had been firing on all cylinders from the start , it's a game we probably would have won.
So Ref had an influence , but we also need to take a lot of responsibility for how we approached the game.

I have not seen anyone trying to pretend we were at our best or played well. Accepting that should not also prevent us from commenting on the officials performance especially when the single biggest impact on the games outcome. I don't think anyone on here would argue that team performances are not readily criticised when deserved. I do find it difficult to over criticise the team given what I saw unfold in front of me yesterday. The sense of injustice is still overwhelming.

Just watched the highlights....

I had no problem with Atkinson's red card v Millwall. When you raise your studs, you always fall into that potential trap.

But that penalty and second yellow card for Inniss were an absolute joke. Southend or no Southend those decisions are bad at amateur level. They were woeful.

so you haven't seen the video that being posted and retweeted. Innis was fouled and let down by the officials- he will not be playing next week and it's his career, suspect the officials will be enjoying a run out. To have a go at Innis is grossly unfair

It is not having a go at Innis, he was booked early on in the game and I thought at the time, is he going to last ninety minutes. The second yellow I admit didn't seem 100 per cent convincing but the facts are that Ryan has played in six matches this season and has picked up 6 yellows and 1 red. Surely that has to be taken into account when assessing him. I think he is a decent centre back but his disciplinery record is suspect.

No idea , maybe all.

You are right about the blame culture, it's not just us but so many managers and fans always blame the referee when they lose narrowly. That attitude goes right down to grass roots football including under 8's and other junior matches. Ok, refs don't always get everything right but it usually evens itself out over a season as far as teams are concerned.

If we had started the game with the same intensity as we had in the second half we would have walked it. Our ten in the second half completely overran their eleven in the second half but our shooting was woeful. We do seem to let ourselves get dragged down against poor opposition and Gillingham were really poor. They got lucky on the day.

In hindsight maybe Atkinson should have started instead of McGlashan, after all he has been instrumental in the good run but Brown does in my opinion too often stick to an unchanged side.

Basically we lost due to a combination of almost arrogant casual play from us in the first half and an arrogant couple of interventions by an assistant ref that have been well described. However we may moan about the temporary stand we're forced to sit on it gave us all a far better view of the penalty than the lino had. We could also see Ranger rugby tackled in the box and Robinson pulled back by his shirt in the box but we all knew that the ref wasn't going to buckle under pressure from the away fans.
Innis was hard done by but he was having a torrid time against the pretty ordinary Gills forwards. John White made it look easy in the second half. Adam Thompson should have buried a second half header, Timlin looked uncomfortable wide right first half but put in a good shift in a more central role after the break, Wordsworth was languid and ineffective, McGlashan allowed the crowd to get at him and was rightly subbed, Demitriou again looked lightweight defensively first half but got better second half and was dangerous getting forward. Ranger and Cox had to waste a lot of time and energy chasing down their keeper to force him to (eventually) kick the ball. Good to see Nile bury that header.
Does anyone know who was/were booked after the final whistle? I though one might have been Leonard for complaining (with good cause) for not getting a free kick in added time after being tripped from behind. Strange the sharp sighted assistant didn't spot that.

Does anyone know who was/were booked after the final whistle? I though one might have been Leonard for complaining (with good cause) for not getting a free kick in added time after being tripped from behind. Strange the sharp sighted assistant didn't spot that.
We thought it was John White presumably for airing his feelings to the ref but not seen it reported anywhere.

Only one way to rectify yesterday. Go and smash Port Vale on Saturday. Then no one will be even talking about this match.
Come on you blue boys!

Back