• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Big poop all round today. Chin up everyone lots of points up for grabs. Looking forward to Bristol rovers next week. Hoping mcgaughlin is back...was he on the pitch with the squad today I swear I saw him doing warm up etc.

You certainly did. He did all the warm up stuff before the game. With hindsight it was one of the few highlights of the afternoon.

I really don't accept "They were organised" as an excuse. Why not just ring their manager and ask "Are you organised?" If he answers "Yes" then let's not bother playing.

Totally pathetic excuse.

First half was as poor a performance as we've shown all season, couldn't pass, got caught in possession, couldn't shrug off troublesome defenders up top. Ferdinand three times played passes that were a good 5 yards behind the person he was aiming at - didn't look fit at all. Demetriou was another who was very poor and kept getting totally out of position. Ted's got to learn to get the ball out quicker. Thompson and Coker I thought, did ok, Thompson my MOTM by a country mile.

Midfield was far too narrow. Bringing Will in was a good shout but keeping Timlin in made it far too narrow. Lenny was frustrated with himself and everyone else, Wordsworth wasn't as bad as some are saying but I'm sure he's another who'll be annoyed with his performance. Cox and Fortune just weren't at the races, the front line looked much better after the subs. Mind you, they weren't getting any help from the officials who seemed to think it was ok for them to be pushed and pulled all over the place.

Substitutions were about right, I know it coincided with going behind but the introduction of McGlashan and Robinson gave us some impetus. I thought Nouble showed a bit of physical strength too.

There's no doubt Port Vale played with more desire and as if they wanted the points, having said that, I'd have been disappointed to lose so a draw was probably a fair result.

No marks out of 10 from me, except Thompson an 8. The rest were mainly all around 5 or 6.

In terms of being annoyed with his performance, he'll have to take his place in a very long queue!

I do get why people have been criticising Wordsworth recently as he is clearly well off form.
The reason he gets more criticism is that his work rate and style of play are different to Timlin , Atkinson and Leonard.
They all have an 'in your face' type of attitude and high work rate , so even when they are way below par , people sat 'but he worked hard'.
But why does 'running around' gain some sort of credit in people's eyes.
Yes I do want to see my team putting in a shift etc , but Wordsworths game is different.
The point I'm trying to make , and the one why Brown does keep faith , is that he CAN make a difference even when he's playing like poop.
He can make a killer pass or score a goal like today.
He is the one midfield player we have that gets in the box regularly and gets these goals - the others I've mentioned all bring a lot to the team , but they are all similar and don't have the ability to make that 1% difference in games like today when things are not going well.
So at the risk of being shot down , I would always keep faith with Wordsworth , especially at home when we need to be in the ascendency and make things happen.
Havent checked the stats , but I'm sure his goal and assist tallies stand up well and probably second behind Cox.
All guns and bullets most welcome

Lately, in my opinion, he has looked totally uninterested. He tackles like...well... he doesn't tackle. His "shot" today was more dangerous to Easyjet flight 485 to Malaga than the Port Vale goal. OK he got a goal, but otherwise? Not a lot.

Agree with Danny above...Wordsworth at times this season has been breathtaking. Has the stardust required to win a game, today prime example he was shockingly bad today but pops up with an important goal late on.

Today just showed that we are not yet ready for the play offs. If by some fluke we managed to get promoted, just how much would need to be invested in the squad to even have a chance of surviving. Would suggest a lot of money that we haven't got. Realistically we are a top ten side, which is an improvement on last year. My wish for next season. could we remind the manager and players that the season starts in August and not October.

Unfortunately we've been here before. Not sure what PB says before the game or ta half time, but yet again we started slowly just like last week. The team so lethargic, could hardly pass to each other for most the game. All talk of a promotion push etc. Forget that. The performances against Northampton, Gillingham and Today are way off promotion form or a team pushing for the play offs. It's hard to understand but if they don't get their arses in gear and fast in hope will be gone by the time we play our next home game. Wordsworth needs dropping, Robinson needs an opportunity from the start and we need Macca back and pronto. Very disappointing afternoon all round, just look at what Fleetwood are achieving, makes our performances more annoying

Going in blind!

Really poor tempo to our play, today. We always seem to take the foot off the throttle against the lower sides, for some reason. It was like the Chesterfield and Crewe home games last season.

RATINGS :

Smith 7 - In truth, dealt with what threat there was.

Demetriou 6 - Off his game a bit, today. Did OK, but got robbed a couple of times, in possession.

Coker 7 - Did well enough, especially for the goal.

Ferdinand 7 - Unfazed, as ever.

Thompson 7.5 MOM - Didn't put a foot wrong and got a great covering tackle in, during that first half spell of pressure.

Atkinson 6.5 - Started well, but faded as the game wore on.

Leonard 7 - Another good shift and that saving tackle in the second half was world class.

Timlin 6 - Am a fan of Tims, but McGlashan probably should have started, today.

Wordsworth 5 - Had a shocking first half. Typified the lacklustre performance of the side.

Cox 6.5 - Did what Cox does, but how he missed that sitter, g_d only knows. Think he must have thought he was offside.

Fortune 5.5 - Had his worst game for us, sadly. Nothing came off for him.

SUBS :

Robinson 5 - Hardly touched the ball.

McGlashan 7 - Made a real difference, when he came on.

Nouble 6 - Looks like a clumsier, less confident version of Nile Ranger.

PORT VALE :

Thought they were pretty poor, in truth. Think they expected to get tonked and suddenly found they were up against an out of sorts oppo and started to believe a bit. Defensive side of their game was OK.

OVERALL :

We are at our best playing with a fast tempo and pushing the oppo back. We sat in first gear for 60 minutes and playing like that leads to sloppy passing and disjointed defending.

The distribution from the midfield, in general, was woeful.

Last edited:
Poor performance. I thought the defence and Leonard played well, but the rest were pants.

Mcglash did ok when brought on. nouble did nothing to make me think he's worth a place on the bench.

With Macca due back soon and hopefully ranger having nothing too serious we will be back on track soon

"Nouble 6 - Looks like a clumsier, less confident version of Nile Ranger."

Cripes, give the lad chance!

We had a chance of pulling 5 points clear from 8th place and keeping in touch with the group. Just not good enough to be honest and I fear the worst. I hope I'm wrong.

Forgot to add that on the way in, I was handed a Samaritans leaflet, which I should have known was an omen! :'(

Today just showed that we are not yet ready for the play offs. If by some fluke we managed to get promoted, just how much would need to be invested in the squad to even have a chance of surviving. Would suggest a lot of money that we haven't got. Realistically we are a top ten side, which is an improvement on last year..

Wot he said!. No doubt some may disagree, but I think that's a true assessment of where we are at the moment.
Anything less than 4 pts from the next 2 away games, and forget it for this season.

"Nouble 6 - Looks like a clumsier, less confident version of Nile Ranger."

Cripes, give the lad chance!

I know he only had 20 mins or today, but from what i saw his ball control on the deck wasn't great and mis-timed a couple of headers.. very reminiscent on Rangers' home performance v- Sheff Utd...

not convinced, but yes, maybe needs another chance. He won't get a look in over a fit Ranger, IMHO.

Back