• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2017 General Election thread

Downing Street has stated there will be no TV debates. Teresa is known to be a poor debater (she's lucky no one cares about PMQs because she's said some odd stuff a few times there) so given she has the power to stop them I'm not surprised but why does the government get to dictate if there are debates in the first place? It seems unfair that the Tories can just remove key parts of the campaign process to boost their chances of winning.

Probably because they want to destroy Labour into the ground,just saying.

You should be glad we are spared the prospect of Corbyn / May / Farron taking up valuable air time.

Definitely, and God forbid that Jimmy Kranky lookalike North of the border might get the chance to impose herself on us on TV as well!

TV debates involving the candidates is all far too American for me anyway. Had to endure it last time, and quite happy not to see it again.

I can't be bothered to list everything. It goes on too long, but it's a pretty easy thing to Google. I think the one thing that made me laugh the most was the anti-Semitic abuse Ruth Smeeth received at the publication of that whitewash of a report by Chakrobarti claiming there was no anti-Semitism in the labour party!
that was one person in the audience who's 'shout' was pretty much inaudible so it was not challenged as most people were unaware that it happened

Definitely, and God forbid that Jimmy Kranky lookalike North of the border might get the chance to impose herself on us on TV as well!

TV debates involving the candidates is all far too American for me anyway. Had to endure it last time, and quite happy not to see it again.

To be fair Krankie is probably the pick of the bunch with the worst Timmy Farron...who will not rule out a coalition with the Tories!

You should be glad we are spared the prospect of Corbyn / May / Farron taking up valuable air time.

Yep that is a weak set of candidates! Think all 3 parties have seriously downgraded on leader. Not a clue where my vote is going, except not tory as they don't seem to care about the single market

there is often a confusion with being anti-the state of Israel/Zionism and anti-Semitism - they are NOT the same thing.

and if you refer to Ken Livingstone's recent admonishment you could equally label him the same as Boris Johnson as a harmless buffoon.
someone has an agenda, they go on about a member of the Labour Party who is suspended for two years but have no issue with the Foreign Secretary calling the leader of Turkey a ******, saying Obama hates Britain because he is Kenyan (he is not) and using racist slurs so out of date that no-one even knows what they mean. Why would anyone have an issue with him being our representative in relations with the rest of the world?

Must be the worst set of candidates in living memory. Can see turnout at an all time low. They'll all promise the earth then whoever gets in will just do what they like regardless.

Downing Street has stated there will be no TV debates. Teresa is known to be a poor debater (she's lucky no one cares about PMQs because she's said some odd stuff a few times there) so given she has the power to stop them I'm not surprised but why does the government get to dictate if there are debates in the first place? It seems unfair that the Tories can just remove key parts of the campaign process to boost their chances of winning.
pretty outrageous that May calls an election and thinks its ok to swerve any debate. 'Brexit means Brexit' is just not enough, he is the PM and must have something more to say.

That's ok then.....
it just shows desperation that 4 posters highlight something that someone mumbled so no one was aware they were speaking - as a reason not to vote for a particular party. Debate on here has to be better than that, we have a number of intelligent people able to have a meaningful discussion so I can't believe within hours of the announcement the debate can be scraping the barrel already.

Yep that is a weak set of candidates! Think all 3 parties have seriously downgraded on leader. Not a clue where my vote is going, except not tory as they don't seem to care about the single market

I think they do....which is why we are having this election.

it just shows desperation that 4 posters highlight something that someone mumbled so no one was aware they were speaking - as a reason not to vote for a particular party. Debate on here has to be better than that, we have a number of intelligent people able to have a meaningful discussion so I can't believe within hours of the announcement the debate can be scraping the barrel already.

I agree that debate should be better , however you will agree that debate so far has failed to be able to convince either side of the implications of racism in or around the Labour party.

If there are those of us that believe it does exist in the Labour party, (I cited Diane abbot earlier who has made racist comments in the past yet sits on the front bench) then playing the race card against the tories is ill thought out.

Don't throw stones from inside a greenhouse.

They haven't said there won't be any televised debates, just that May won't participate. Although given her recent record on U-turning, she'll probably be the first one mic'd up at the podium.

Not that any debates would be particularly revelatory for the voting public. Political discourse is at its lowest ebb. But, in my opinion, there simply has to be a series of debates between the main political parties competing the election. I don't see how you can claim to truly reach and educate the general public on their options without them.

Lib Dems have ruled out a pact with Labour apparently.
SNP moose, Sturgen getting on my wick already.
Abbott should be gagged for the good of everyone.
Both Simon Hughes and Vince Cable are going to stand.
It's not going to be the walkover many are predicting.
And the **** reporter who asked Corbyn if he would resign on June 9th should be gagged, bagged and chucked down a mine shaft just for jollies, what a rick with a silent P.

there is often a confusion with being anti-the state of Israel/Zionism and anti-Semitism - they are NOT the same thing.

and if you refer to Ken Livingstone's recent admonishment you could equally label him the same as Boris Johnson as a harmless buffoon.

Correct, but people at the labour party cross that line and hide behind a claim of anti-Israel policy when it is very clear what they really mean.

As for the idiot KL. I suggest you read this:

Workers' Liberty

It's a very long article, but it clearly shows how his wording has morphed over the last two years or so. It also shows how poor his grasp of history is and how he is extremely selective in his interpretation. It also shows how anti-Semitic what he said was, and how anti-Semitic he's been in the past. He's far far worse than that buffoon Johnson

On the local issues both Southend seats are so Tory that my vote,which will NEVER be for Amiss is irrelevant; it needs for a strong, local opposition candidate to make the most of the NHS A&E issue as well as the education disparity.
Those in Castle Point or Basildon/Thurrock will be the interesting campaign grounds.

However this GE is likely to be solely for the purposes of EU issue so IMO it will be a cause of greater, wider, social disharmony.

Back