• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Are we currently better or worse equipped for the Championship than 2005/2006?

• Better equipped

Votes: 106 62.4%
  • Worse equipped

Votes: 18 10.6%
  • About the same

Votes: 46 27.1%

• Total voters
In think we have a stronger squad now to that which won the league and competed poorly at championship level.

The difference is that the championship is much stronger now and parachute payments haven't helped. What has also changed is the fact that championship footy is now worth between 8-10 million per season.

We have a much better nucleas of a squad on which to build a stronger squad. As much as I loved what Tilly and brush achieved at the club they could never seem to attract players of any class. PB would be able to attract players to the club at championship level in the same way he has attracted ferdinand and cox to an unfashionable league 1 side.

I don't think it would always be pretty but I do think we could stave of relegation.

If and it's a huge if we could survive in the championship for a few seasons then I believe that would be key to finally getting Fossetts underway.

Let's just enjoy the ride this season as the wheels could come off at anytime.

We are not any worse off than before. The squad has probably more depth than before but I am not sure we have anyone that would walk straight in to a top half Championship side. Last time we at least had players like Maher, Gower, Eastwood and Flahavan who were more than good enough. 2 of Tilly"s buys did work Peter Clarke and Steve Hammell. Simon Francis was a Tilly buy too but didn't work out too well for us but Bournemouth aren't complaining !

Think we could survive if Brown can pull a few more rabbits out of a hat to supplement what we already have.

Flahavan got found out big time in the Championship-teams quickly realised that high balls to the far post/into the 6yard box would bring goals.Barrett also was out of his depth.

I think we have a better overall squad on paper but the area of concern for me is definitely goalkeepers. I can't see either of our current two cutting it in the Championship from day one and I don't think you have the luxury of finding your feet for a few months.

Defensively, there's huge promise there. Thompson is developing really well alongside Ferdinand, who I think, could probably manage at least one season. Coker should be fine, and Innis, if he stayed would be ok. Kyprianou out on loan to a lower league side would benefit and improve.

In midfield, I do think we're quite blessed. Lenny, Woody and McLaughlin are all perfectly able to play at that level, and the likes of Atkinson, Timlin and McGlashan should also do ok. Bridge also would need to loan out to a lower league side before being able to say if he could step up or not.

Of course, up front is where we should storm it. We have three excellent Championship level forwards in Cox, Fortune and Ranger and Robinson has the potential to regain that level with some decent form.

To gain promotion would IMO be a miracle..to survive in the championship would be a bigger miracle.

It would be great fun watching though.

Why would promotion be a miracle? We have a very good squad which is better than most at this level.

As for staying up being a miracle Burton are making a go of it with lesser resources than us and barnsley are having a great season.

Why would promotion be a miracle? We have a very good squad which is better than most at this level.

As for staying up being a miracle Burton are making a go of it with lesser resources than us and barnsley are having a great season.

We are in effect chasing the play offs.....they are a lottery on whoever reaches Wembley,plus winning at Wembley is another lotto chance.

The top two positions are IMO way beyond us as Sheffield have too many points and Bolton have two games in hand on us,not forgetting Scunny either.

We would need to win most of our games remaining and hope the top 3 falter badly....IMO of course.

I wouldn't call a 1 in 4 chance a lottery, but as Barnsley proved last season, momentum is important when you come to the play-off matches.

Nothing against Tilly but I think Brown is far better equipped for Championship football as well

Yes Burton are doing better than I expected, and I do wish them well. Thinking back to our own days in the 2nd tier from the 90's I think we lasted 6 seasons was it ? which surprised me. Long term they (smaller clubs) won't last unless they can get a bigger ground, or a rich owner who is happy to throw away x millions. Small clubs invariably last a season or two and then fall like a stone, often two divisions at a time, or in the space of 2-3 seasons. Colchester spring to mind, we do and many others.

You can last season or two on momentum and the squad that got you there but invariably once the energy of that charge is lost you end up where your finances dictate! The better players leave to remain in the division you have just been relegated from and/our like us in 2007 we let people go as we couldn't afford to keep them on.

Barnsley are doing well but they are significantly bigger than we are and with plenty of local derbies for them they can on a good day get a gate of up to 20k. The other thing is they have one or two excellent loan players one Ryan Kent is a great talent on loan from Liverpool - so that is one way perhaps of punching above your financial weight taking in a loan talent.

Bournemouth are OK for now mainly as I beleive they have a very rich owner?

When you look at the table and see the likes of Villa,Forest,Wolves,Bristol all struggling at the wrong end,what chance have clubs like ours to survive season after season....mission impossible !

When you look at the table and see the likes of Villa,Forest,Wolves,Bristol all struggling at the wrong end,what chance have clubs like ours to survive season after season....mission impossible !

I have a much more short term view on promotion into the Championship, as probably other more mature supporters amongst us may agree. Regardless of whether we are in the right shape to survive, I just want to get there ASAP and bask in the moment again. Far better to grab the moment now than worry about the future 'what ifs', they ain't my problem. Just being there again and seeing the big clubs at Roots Hall will do for me, I don't know how many opportunities like this I have left.

I have a much more short term view on promotion into the Championship, as probably other more mature supporters amongst us may agree. Regardless of whether we are in the right shape to survive, I just want to get there ASAP and bask in the moment again. Far better to grab the moment now than worry about the future 'what ifs', they ain't my problem. Just being there again and seeing the big clubs at Roots Hall will do for me, I don't know how many opportunities like this I have left.

Yes i agree,it would be brilliant to see the big boys at the Hall again.

I also attended Sheff Wed v Southend in May 1976 when we got related to Div 4. Don't recall seeing a single other Southend fan at Hillsborough that sad night. I'm sure someone will come on here to say they were also there.

Ozzie was (he now lives in Germany). His dad was living there, and he stayed with him. Remember him saying all day on Radio Sheffield, they were advertising the game & urging fans to go. It was either them or us who went down, a crowd of around 25,000 ( I think) saw them win 2-1. Also think it was on a Thursday night?.

Ozzie was (he now lives in Germany). His dad was living there, and he stayed with him. Remember him saying all day on Radio Sheffield, they were advertising the game & urging fans to go. It was either them or us who went down, a crowd of around 25,000 ( I think) saw them win 2-1. Also think it was on a Thursday night?.

I went to that too.

Drove up with a mate.

Bloody long drive back.

It's an insult to compare this lot who crumble in big games to the team who WON this division last time!

I share the concerns of others here in getting promoted while being financially under-resourced. Roots Hall is clearly below par for Championship football. I went to the Brighton v Ipswich game (1-1) earlier this month and the Amex is a truly fantastic stadium, but just remember Brighton were previously playing at the Withdean running track - and comparatively recently.
BTW, first match: SUFC v Bournemouth August 1963
I also attended Sheff Wed v Southend in May 1976 when we got related to Div 4. Don't recall seeing a single other Southend fan at Hillsborough that sad night. I'm sure someone will come on here to say they were also there.

I was there. It was April not May.

I was there. It was April not May.

And me and MFUROK and three others if I recall correctly. 25,802 were there. We played on 17th,19th, 23rd 27th and 29th April. Alan Moody scored in all 5 of those games. Malcolm Webster got us relegated conceding two soft goals at Colchester on 17th.

And me and MFUROK and three others if I recall correctly. 25,802 were there. We played on 17th,19th, 23rd 27th and 29th April. Alan Moody scored in all 5 of those games. Malcolm Webster got us relegated conceding two soft goals at Colchester on 17th.

After which he was dropped for Sean Rafter and never played again ........ but went on to be a highly rated goalkeeping coach ........ which all supports the adage about teaching !

Not as impressive as it sounds ...... all but the Sheffield one were penalties. He did take a rather good pen. !

Back