• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sounds like oxley is keeping us in it at moment with save after save, we ain't come out for 2nd half yet:sad:

I think we are just feeling the downside risk of our club strategy which is, in my opinion, the right one. Ron and Phil seem to be agreed that the right approach long term is to invest in our own youth system (and, hopefully, facilities) supplemented with limited numbers of genuine quality and experience. Ron's job is to land these players and to be fair he's got better and better at achieving that in a sustainable way as the years have passed.

The downside risk is evident in the close season and very early season partly due to the transfer window system plus a few other structural elements of the game which we could discuss at length. The upshot of these is that individuals (players, managers or chairmen) can often choose to hold out and wait for better offers - even more than they could when there was no artificial deadline to conclude transfer business. For the real quality, those offers are often there.

As a result clubs following our strategy may find themselves a few players short until the summer transfer window is about to shut. I think we've seen the impact of that at Southend at the start of each of the last couple of seasons, where we have been a bit short of numbers - and occasionally this is exacerbated by an injury or two (or imprisonment!). We have started poorly but signed quality late in the Summer window a few times now. Of course if we miss out on our targets then like all clubs, pursuing any strategy, we have occasionally needed to panic sign a couple of players we wouldn't otherwise have gone for just to make up the numbers. The same is true in the Winter transfer window. As we know, we have even needed to make good use of the emergency loan system notably in central defence and in goal.

Our planned way out of this cycle is to maintain our progress each year, reach the Championship and Fossetts Farm and continue to invest in the youth system until we have a Category 1 Academy. The Dome etc are all part of this plan.

By the sounds of things he has that no.1 spot nailed down.

I think we are just feeling the downside risk of our club strategy which is, in my opinion, the right one. Ron and Phil seem to be agreed that the right approach long term is to invest in our own youth system (and, hopefully, facilities) supplemented with limited numbers of genuine quality and experience. Ron's job is to land these players and to be fair he's got better and better at achieving that in a sustainable way as the years have passed.

The downside risk is partly evident in the close season and very early season due to the transfer window system plus a few other structural elements of the game which we could discuss at length. The upshot of these is that individuals (players, managers or chairmen) can often choose to hold out and wait for better offers. For the real quality, those offers are often there. As a result clubs following our strategy may find themselves a few players short until the summer transfer window is about to shut. I think we've seen the impact of that at Southend at the start of each of the last couple of seasons, where we have been a bit short of numbers - and occasionally this is exacerbated by an injury or two (or imprisonment!). We have started poorly but signed quality late in the Summer window a few times now. Of course if we miss out on our targets then like all clubs, pursuing any strategy, we have occasionally needed to panic sign a couple of players we wouldn't otherwise have gone for just to make up the numbers. The same is true in the Winter transfer window. As we know, we have even needed to make good use of the emergency loan system notably in central defence and in goal.

Our planned way out of this cycle is to maintain our progress each year, reach the Championship and Fossetts Farm and continue to invest in the youth system until we have a Category 1 Academy. The Dome etc are all part of this plan.

Wrong thread?

If we haven't yet learnt not to read very much into pre-season results we never will I guess. Clearly mixing U21s and the more senior players is about building squad, fitness and get everyone used to their responsibilities in the system.

A 2-0 win looks good but I can't wait to hear what Phil brown has to say, wonder if he was impressed :stunned:

Hell probably point out it was a friendly and its not about the result- just the same as when we lost/drew

Another assist for Dru on the second goal, apparently. The more I hear, the more it seems like we've unearthed an absolute gem. :thumbsup:

Looks like a really good penalty save.

DF6hCvyXoAAncp2.jpg:large

Back