• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The balance is all wrong.

Ferdinand is a class act but has always played alongside the more dominant centre back. At the moment we have no height at the back - or anywhere in the team, actually.

Kightly, as class an act as he is, does not work hard enough defensively. Having both him and McGlashan means that the work in midfield comes down to just 2 players - Timlin and Leonard. Yesterday, Timlin had an absolute mare asode from a delightful piece of skill near the end. He could barely find a Southend shirt. There seemed to be a bit of a ruck between him and Kightly as they were going off at half time. We are missing Atkinson, or someone like him, terribly.

Having said all that, if we are 5-0 ahead at half time as we should be...

Brown is right. Rubbish, absolute rubbish. I can't even be bothered to do the ratings. No-one seemed to play well at all and it just showed how poor Gillingham are. Eaves will never get an easier hat trick in his career.

I am absolutely cheesed off, even the day after.

Cheer up mate, you can always go for a second helping on Tuesday night. That will make it all better.

Just seen that Eaves hadn't scored for 32 games! Says it all. Big striker good crosses and we struggle. Too open on the flanks. If we had all 4 centre backs available would suggest maybe a 3-5-2 as neither full back can defend very well. Kightly and Mcglashan don't want to be tracking back. Would prefer to see Kightly in the middle.

Probably the same people I don't class as supporters and do everything other than support. If anyone wants to see how our youngsters are doing then come along on Tuesday its only about £7. Be warned though, if its like last years crowd it will be a positive atmosphere towards our young lads.

The moaning will be done on here by people who were never going to go anyway but claiming they are boycotting the competition for the good of football.

People have a choice not to go to these cup games if they want and frankly, I agree with them in some respects. I'm going to take a hunch that people are more likely not to go on Tuesday because it is in Gillingham where we've just played not because of the Competition though. There will be a section who will go most games but can't blame them for not going on Tuesday.

Also, you might not class these people as supporters but if they cheer us on wherever they are and go when they can, or feel like it, then I welcome them. As every supporter is a potential for the club to benefit. Obviously there are exceptions to being welcomed in extreme cases.

Eaves will never get an easier hat trick in his career.

Eaves will never score another hat trick. When was the last time we conceded hat tricks in two consecutive away games to two 6ft 3"+ strikers in their mid twenties who can't score goals in the football league!

Don't worry it's Charlton in the next away game. We always do well there! Josh Magennis is only 6ft 1" he shouldn't cause us any trouble...........

Kieffer Moore scored more goals in 31 minutes against us than he had in his previous 39 League appearances.

Tom Eaves scored more goals in 24 minutes against us than he had in his previous 32 League appearances.

Once might be regarded as misfortune, twice is definitely carelessness.

Kieffer Moore scored more goals in 31 minutes against us than he had in his previous 39 League appearances.

Tom Eaves scored more goals in 24 minutes against us than he had in his previous 32 League appearances.

Much more serious than careless. We have major problems in defence which, it seems, will not begin to be properly addressed until we get some height at the back. Turner may offer something in that regard but on speed and mobility he may not have a lot to offer.

People have a choice not to go to these cup games if they want and frankly, I agree with them in some respects. I'm going to take a hunch that people are more likely not to go on Tuesday because it is in Gillingham where we've just played not because of the Competition though. There will be a section who will go most games but can't blame them for not going on Tuesday.

Also, you might not class these people as supporters but if they cheer us on wherever they are and go when they can, or feel like it, then I welcome them. As every supporter is a potential for the club to benefit. Obviously there are exceptions to being welcomed in extreme cases.

I never said anything against those fans. I don't care if you can't make a single game in a season, there's 1001 reasons why that may be the case. Your still a fan.

I'm talking about the people who are only happy slagging players and management alike. Always looking for a player to target. The people who thrive on making RH a poisonous atmosphere, like the latest idiot in the Reds who sits near the halfway line and shouts down abuse to the bench. Nobody was doing that from the Gillingham main stand yesterday. No they targeted PB yet they 1-0 down and playing really poorly in the first half. We had same last few seasons, moaning all summer about who we haven't signed. Grizzling all through August and September and then luckily for the rest of us hibernating all winter, only to emerge in the spring to say told you so.

The real sad thing is they will be there against Rochdale, hoping we actually lose. They are that twisted in the own selfish agenda. Those people aren't fans and don't deserve to called so because that's insulting to the thousands that are.

Much more serious than careless. We have major problems in defence which, it seems, will not begin to be properly addressed until we get some height at the back. Turner may offer something in that regard but on speed and mobility he may not have a lot to offer.

We are not stopping the crosses at source. That comes down essentially to the wide players. AT that part of the game, White is better than Demetriou. Coker is a huge loss. McGlashan and Kightly barely do it at all.

To defend the crosses we need a bit of height and aggression. Thompson and to a degree Innis last season provided that. White, as much of a stalwart as he is, is a makeshift centre back playing alongside a sweeper being asked to be the dominant centre back. It is not working - at all. It is a recipe for disaster.

We are still potent going forwards. We should have had a hat-ful yesterday in the first half. We are shot shy and we are trying to play that extra not one, not two but sometimes three extra passes rather than get the shot away.

I will be going on Tuesday, but what changes can we make? We have no cover in the areas we are short in. Matzusaka in for White, he moves across to the right back slot?

Yearwood in for Timlin?

McLaughlin in for McGlashan or Kightly?

Ba in for Cox?

Beyond that, we are stuffed until Wordsworth, Turner and Ranger get back.

I know that, but "******* useless at the back" doesn't fit in with the Wildean quote.

Matzusaka in for White, he moves across to the right back slot?

Yearwood in for Timlin?

McLaughlin in for McGlashan or Kightly?

Ba in for Cox?

Beyond that, we are stuffed until Wordsworth, Turner and Ranger get back.

I think it'd be interesting to see Ba and Fortune up front together so I'd definitely start those two. Rather than Dru, I think I'd like to see Jack Bridge in midfield for Timlin allowing Lenny to play the deeper role which he is so good at, McLaughlin is a must. Defensively, I'd bring in both Kyprianou and Matsuzaka for Hendrie and Ferdinand.

You clearly weren't at the game so why post such rubbish.
Actually watched the game and if you're happy with that display you clearly don't have a clue about football. 11 goals conceded in 4 games and you think that's ok ? Clueless!
I would love to know why no one in your book is allowed an opinion.

Last edited:
Actually watched the game and if you're happy with that display you clearly don't have a clue about football. 11 goals conceded in 4 games and you think that's ok ? Clueless!
I would love to know why no one in your book is allowed an opinion.

...... his book is wide open for opinions (as long as they match his!)

The overall squad is weak and we do need a couple more additions, to just go with what we have will be a mistake.

...... his book is wide open for opinions (as long as they match his!)

Says the referee who has only ever liked 56 posts....All of them slagging someone off :thumbsup:

Says the referee who has only ever liked 56 posts....All of them slagging someone off :thumbsup:
57. I tend to "like" posts that amuse me; I'll make an exception in this case!

In his radio interview PB said it wasnt the personell it was the mindset . Mentioned the clean sheet mentality.
Wouldnt blame a particular part of the team

That's probably because at the moment he's pretty much stuck with that starting line-up, apart from McLaughlin, Robinson and at a pinch Kyprianou. It would put a lot of pressure on any of the youngsters coming in while we're shipping goals.

I will try and remain positive, we are notoriously slow starters. Well, certainly under Brown we have been. A change will definitely have to be made for Saturday as I am assuming Demetriou will be with Cyprus. Fingers crossed that either Turner or Kiernan will be fit. We desperately need more height when defending. Anton is not the greatest in the air and he is definitely missing Thompson. If Hendrie is struggling at the moment then the answer would surely be to move Timlin to left back. Creating the space for Wordsworth to return or for Yearwood to come in.

We do have a challenging run of away fixtures coming up, which could shape our season so Brown needs to get it right now .

We are hoping a guy (Turner) who has had little or no pre-season and hardly played in two years ...is going to steady the defence. The guy is nearly 34. I hope he will be a shrewd aquisition but having to hit the ground sprinting is a big ask.

Back