• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jacob Rees-Mogg

He has also stated that he holds the will of parliament and the law above his own personal beliefs, and is not seeking any change.

This is a point that I think a number of people are missing.

No religious beliefs of any shape or form should come into politics.

Agree. A healthy step towards this would be the removal of the numerous bishops from the House of Lords. And then someone should have a word with this ****.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41160748

Agree. A healthy step towards this would be the removal of the numerous bishops from the House of Lords. And then someone should have a word with this ****.

Whilst he says he holds parliament and law above his beliefs he still votes against things according to his belief system though. So he is still trying to shape our laws based on his religious beliefs.

And yet faith is still prominent amongst many of our politicians...and I would say that possibly with the exception of John Major most of the UK's political leaders (and potential) in my lifetime appear to have belonged to a faith system....it is impossible to imagine that their faith cannot or does not influence they think, act and vote.

Whilst you have faith and belief systems this will continue to be the case...we live in a country that describes it self still as Christian or Multifaith....until that description stops then it will continue to have influence.

Thats true, theres no straight forward answer when it comes to religion and I'm sure many will be religious and there will always be influence.

When it comes to the PM though if they make strong statements like JRM did then its a problem. Blair was religious Roman Catholic but didn't hold the same 'extreme' views.

Whilst he says he holds parliament and law above his beliefs he still votes against things according to his belief system though. So he is still trying to shape our laws based on his religious beliefs.

He is saying that despite his vote the will of Parliament is to be upheld and the matter is settled...if he was seeking a fresh vote then I would agree.

I'm following that line of argument, however whilst we have faith and belief systems it is naive to think that there won't be an influence.

Exactly the point I was making:

It probably does whether you like it or not, or whether the politician realises it or not.

It's impossible for someone's upbringing to not influence how they think, behave, and in the case of a politician, vote. They may not even realise it themselves, but it is inevitable.

However, so long as those religious beliefs are around tolerance and respect (which ultimately every religion is) then there is no problem. It's when people cherry pick, and use religion to hide behind it becomes a problem.

so the Archbishop of Canterbury calls form economic reform and you call him a ****, and JRM disagrees with abortion for rape victims and you call him a Catholic. Interesting perspective.

so the Archbishop of Canterbury calls form economic reform and you call him a ****, and JRM disagrees with abortion for rape victims and you call him a Catholic. Interesting perspective.

What is interesting is that Ree's Mogg is elected to represent the views of his constituents (Arch Bishop of canterbury is not elected).

If his views were out of touch with his constituents then presumably he would not have got in at the last GE.

A MAN somehow believes that arch-****** Jacob Rees-Mogg is a brilliant individual who would make an excellent prime minister.

Badly paid office worker Tom Logan is strangely impressed by incredibly rich hedge fund founder Rees-Mogg, who for some reason pretends to be an eccentric 18th century landowner.

Logan said: “I love it when he does all that Latin stuff. I’ve no idea what it means or if he’s just making it up but he’s a character and that’s what counts.

“He’s a classic English gentleman like Sherlock Holmes or Bertie Wooster, which is exactly the sort of person we need to get us out of the massive con trick which is the EU.

“’The Moggster’ would baffle Barnier with one of his clever long words. ****ing people off in an amusing way is definitely one of the key skills a politician should have.”

Logan’s enthusiasm for Rees-Mogg is so great that he recently surprised friends by declaring he is against abortion and same-sex marriage too.

He added: “When you think about it abortion is pretty yucky and marriage should be traditional with a man and a woman in a pretty dress.”

Friend Nikki Hollis said: “Christ knows why an ordinary guy like Tom is so keen on a weird poseur like Rees-Mogg. Also I may have to kill him if he keeps referring to ‘the Moggster’.”

From The Daily Mash.

What is interesting is that Ree's Mogg is elected to represent the views of his constituents (Arch Bishop of canterbury is not elected).

If his views were out of touch with his constituents then presumably he would not have got in at the last GE.

Theres a difference between running as a tory MP in a tory safe seat than running for PM though. In Southend we will forever be Tory yet I doubt most people have a clue what Amess believes in, they just vote Tory. Amess voted against gay marriage in 2013 as well, doubt anyone knows that, I certainly didnt.

If he runs for PM he will be under far more scrutiny.

Theres a difference between running as a tory MP in a tory safe seat than running for PM though. In Southend we will forever be Tory yet I doubt most people have a clue what Amess believes in, they just vote Tory. Amess voted against gay marriage in 2013 as well, doubt anyone knows that, I certainly didnt.

If he runs for PM he will be under far more scrutiny.
exactly, I don't recall Rees-Mogg campaigning on these issues at the election, even if he had that area would still vote Tory but it will hamper any ambitions to become PM.

exactly, I don't recall Rees-Mogg campaigning on these issues at the election, even if he had that area would still vote Tory but it will hamper any ambitions to become PM.

Which rather proves the point that the matter as far as he is concerned is settled.

unfortunately for him the wider public will judge him on the way he voted rather than us being fortunate that he was outvoted

Which ultimately will come down to how important these issues are to the electorate, and how believable Rees Mogg turns out to be.

Away from the issue of his voting record, what we can see is that centrist politics are being veered away from to a certain extent...in addition to principled politicians becoming ever more popular...I am loathe to equate Rees Mogg with Corbyn on any level...but in so much as I believe both of them to be honest and neither centrist....could it be that from a Tory perspective he will tick many boxes.

Which ultimately will come down to how important these issues are to the electorate, and how believable Rees Mogg turns out to be.

Away from the issue of his voting record, what we can see is that centrist politics are being veered away from to a certain extent...in addition to principled politicians becoming ever more popular...I am loathe to equate Rees Mogg with Corbyn on any level...but in so much as I believe both of them to be honest and neither centrist....could it be that from a Tory perspective he will tick many boxes.
there is certainly a reaction from some Tories to the relative success of Corbyn and a level of support for JRM is part of that. Momentum were slated by the press (and some Blairites) as being the new Militant but now there is a general acceptance that Momentum is a grassroots organic organisation that is extremely well organised as a campaigning mechanism and not the scary Trots we were led to believe. Many Tories are envious of that and there have been moves through talk of a Tory festival and the creation of Activate to try to emulate that - but it is proving to not be that straight forward. Rees-Mogg has been seen as a potential figurehead of that. I think the media coverage over the last couple of days will stop that moving forward, but you never know....

there is certainly a reaction from some Tories to the relative success of Corbyn and a level of support for JRM is part of that. Momentum were slated by the press (and some Blairites) as being the new Militant but now there is a general acceptance that Momentum is a grassroots organic organisation that is extremely well organised as a campaigning mechanism and not the scary Trots we were led to believe. Many Tories are envious of that and there have been moves through talk of a Tory festival and the creation of Activate to try to emulate that - but it is proving to not be that straight forward. Rees-Mogg has been seen as a potential figurehead of that. I think the media coverage over the last couple of days will stop that moving forward, but you never know....

I was more thinking from a binary political choice....Corbyn has enjoyed popularity it would appear amongst younger voters, and has successfully tapped into that demographic via Glastonbury etc.

I think the Labour movement has had success over may years in engaging young people via music....all the way back to Red Wedge in the 80's....and to a certain extent the two tone movement prior to that.

I can only see Rees Mogg at a Classic FM concert however.

There was an item on the BBC website the other day to the effect that 50% of the UK population have no religous beliefs whatsoever.

Think I read somewhere it was slightly higher than that....not sure if that is replicated in MP's though?

Back