• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

You mention that FOUR Different players had opportunities to shoot and didn't and one player shouldn't have been on a he pitch. I agree, and that's why we didn't win

Yep fair points 'United' and I did highlight our over-playing as a frustration. I'm not sure I mentioned the above, but I could name four easily enough, who either dithered too long or took an extra touch too many.

Just have to work on being more clinical in the key areas.

Ironically, the one time that a touch first might have been the better choice was Josh Wright's chance at the end, but I wouldn't criticize him overly for taking it early.

Entertaining game , largely due to the number of error making it an end to end affair.

Lenny looked like he was playing in a sweeper type role in the first half, sitting off and using his pace to pick up the threats.
Wright was pivotal in the first half , but once Grant stepped forward in the second half Wright al but disappeared.

Dru was good, but at times is treading a line between confident and cocky.

Reasonable efforts from Fortune and Cox.

Demitriou had a good game but was shattered in the last 10 -15 and was giving up the overlap at times, particular a fine return pass into the channel by Dru which he would have been clear if he had kept going rather than stopping in his tracks as soon as he passed it .

Good solid performance by Oxley

Summary, could have been worse, they had opportunities to win it

Overall an entertaining game. Could have gone wither way, and was surprised and very relieved when we ended at 1-1 as fully expected us to concede again! Thought we looked good at times, and others it was a comedy of errors.

some key observations for me.
Oxley - saved our bacon several times. MOM
Lenny is a decent central defender, linked well with John White and got Timlin out of no end of trouble!
Timlin is ABSOLUTELY NOT a left back, we need to give Hendrie a run as he will come good - hopefully before Coker is fit!
Dru is one hell of a talent! Unlucky to be booked, it was a foul but think the ref fell for a bit of play acting as well. And that shot in the second half...
Fortune has still got it - but tired in the second half. Glad to see him score.
Coxy needs the ball coming to him. He has to track back and find it so many times that he has become ineffective doing what he does best!

and Anton... probably needed the rest. I would be tempted to play Lenny alongside Anton in the centre, keep JD at rightback and give JW the left back slot to give a better combination f experience, height and speed.

Not a great performance but a point isn’tterrible. For two sides that have similar ambitions I am happier as a Southendsupporter than I would be as a Posh fan, at least we can put our defensivefrailties down to injuries.

I was with the match sponsors last night and wepicked the man of the match, we were undecided between Oxley and Yearwood andjust before we had to make our decision Oxley pulled off the save of the nightand earned himself the MOTM. Timlin at left back is not working, he was poorlast night, it’s not his position. Wright looked very tidy and had a good game,interestingly we had a Millwall fan with us and he thought Wright had a goodgame last night but warned that both times he was at Millwall he started welland then got his feet under the table, got comfortable, started acting big timeand his performances were anonymous. Hopefully we don’t see the same! Can onlyjudge him on what we have seen so far though and he looks a decent addition.

Demitriou had a good game but was shattered in the last 10 -15 and was giving up the overlap at times, particular a fine return pass into the channel by Dru which he would have been clear if he had kept going rather than stopping in his tracks as soon as he passed it .

Paul Clark was totally impressed by the number of 80 yard runs that Demetriou had made towards the end of the game. He said that no one was that fit when he was playing - the game is much more about athletes now.

We were the better side and certainly had more play and opportunities in their third of the pitch.

Hit the bar and the keeper pulled off a fingertip save from Josh Wright.

Oxley had a good game, fair enough, but just because our keeper pulled off a couple of good saves, doesn't mean the opposition deserved to win.

Have to disagree. Oxley didn't just make routine saves. He may two or three very very good saves. They had possibly 2 or 3 great opportunities to score on top of those. A better side would and should have run away by a 3 or 4 goal margin.

Their keeper on the other hand has had a relatively easy night.

This has been the case for too often.

Have to disagree. Oxley didn't just make routine saves. He may two or three very very good saves. They had possibly 2 or 3 great opportunities to score on top of those. A better side would and should have run away by a 3 or 4 goal margin.

Oxley was by far the MOTM, if Dan Bentley put in that performance everyone on here would be waxing lyrical over it

I was right behind the low fingertip save and I thought it was going in even after Oxley got the touch on it, MOM for that save alone!

Oxley was by far the MOTM, if Dan Bentley put in that performance everyone on here would be waxing lyrical over it

Oxley seems to have been playing a lot better since Ted got injured. Maybe he is more relaxed knowing there is little/no threat to his place in the side.

Think Cox was really poor, he needs to remember he is a striker, countless times he could have had a crack, he keeps passing it wide....
Passing wide instead of shooting is a PB abnormally, it happens to all players not just Coxy - just watch. I think PB knocks the shooting confidence out of players tbh, if the truth is known and it's the refs fault actually!

Passing wide instead of shooting is a PB abnormally, it happens to all players not just Coxy - just watch. I think PB knocks the shooting confidence out of players tbh, if the truth is known and it's the refs fault actually!

Please get MR David Crown involved, these guys need it.

OXLEY --------10 (MOM) ---- 4 or 5 world class saves, kept busy all game. We would be bottom without him.
DEMETRIOU ----6------------Didnt get forward like he can so no attacking width, but no mistakes either
WHITE----------6-----------Run ragged , stuck to his job manfully but not his best game
LENNY----------7-----------Great pace + tackling but we desperately miss him bossing the game in midfield
TIMLIN----------6----------100% commitment as always but looks a liability at the back
YEARWOOD-----8-----------Our best outfield player by a mile. Quick feet , great tenacity, harshly booked
WORDSWORTH--5-----------Calm but game passed him by. Quality player but his poorest match for a while
WRIGHT---------6----------Tidy but unspectacular, didnt do enough for me
McLAUGHLIN-----5----------Cannot fault 100% effort but so woefully out of form his touch has gone.
COX-------------5---------A quality player devoid of all confidence, Coxy , dont pass it , just shoot on sight mate!
FORTUNE--------7---------Love watching MAF play. Superb running off ball , great touch + hold up play. Nice goal.

SUFC COACHING STAFF ---3---- Why wont our strikers shoot ? Why have they got zero confidence? Why has someone not dragged in our £million left back Hendrie+ actually sort out why hes so unhappy and out of form? Why not stop playing the whole defence out of position and instead pick players like Matsuzaka or Hendrie in their natural positions thus allowing Lenny to sit infront. The only decisions they got right was dropping Ranger for Fortune and allowing Yearwood to play.

Oxley man of the match easily....when your keeper is man of the match you know it's not gone that well in other areas of the pitch.
Our inability to do anything in the final third of the pitch is alarming. We had some good build up play last night only to be ruined when a cross or pass or shock horror a shot was required, truly awful in this department.
Lenny is our best player by a mile...in any position he plays tbh...he is leaving in the summer for the grand total of zero pounds.
MAF took his goal well
Yearwood shows some real good technical quality at times.
Macca.....can anyone explain what has happened to him.
Wordsworth looks knackered

I thought Wright had a better effect on the game by being played in his natural central role and has a touch of quality about him. Here’s a question for you :-

Who would you want to partner Lenny in the centre a) Woody who can scores goals but cannot defend or run for toffee or b) Wright who covers and defends better, has goals in him but yet to score

Both have a touch of class about them. Probably difficult to judge unless Wright gets more game time in the centre?

Wright looks a good and better replacement for Will Atkinson I think 'Taters', so there's possibly room to play him and Lenny, together.

Then Wordy and Kightly would be the obvious other two players. That works slightly better with Lenny playing deep, Wright linking up and Kightly and Wordy more advanced. This should allow us to move the ball around at pace on the floor, utilizing Coxy better.

When Cokes is fit or Hendrie is given a run, there would be attacking options from full-back as well.

That said, Dru is playing well, so it would be a tough call.

We are now half way through October so January 18 is not far away. I don't want to be too fatalistic, but I think that when January gets here the question may well be 'Who is going to take up the 'Lenny role' now he has moved on to Sheffield United.

We are now half way through October so January 18 is not far away. I don't want to be too fatalistic, but I think that when January gets here the question may well be 'Who is going to take up the 'Lenny role' now he has moved on to Sheffield United.

They are doing quite well without him at the moment, might be aiming their sights a bit higher if they carry on like they are.

They are doing quite well without him at the moment, might be aiming their sights a bit higher if they carry on like they are.

they are indeed. But Wilder rated Len very highly and I doubt that has gone away. It will again be down to the right offer, although Len can go for free at the end of the season. Hope I'm completely wrong by the way.

On the question of where to play Wright. I think a decision has to be made...either wordsworth or Wright in the centre because neither are ball winners....we missed that big time last night, obviously lenny playing CB didn't help this.

Back