• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Blues boss Brown: We aren't as good as we think

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United manager Phil Brown was fuming with his players following Saturday’s 1-0 defeat at Portsmouth.

More...

SOUTHEND United manager Phil Brown was fuming with his players following Saturday’s 1-0 defeat at Portsmouth.

More...

I hope he includes himself in that analysis. He signed the players. He picked the team. He set up the formation. He decided the tactics. He couldn't respond when we went a goal down, except with the same old substitutions.

I expect some of the players were fuming with him as well.

I wonder where this thread is heading! :winking:

It's never his fault is it. At Yeovil he didn't underestimate Yeovil but the players did.

How many times has he said if they play like that again they are out of the side and how many have gone?

Rotherham, Doncaster, Wigan, Billericay (the three seniors), Yeovil, Portsmouth?

Most of us watching this year browny already know that ..... and you lead the that team.....we keep talking about promotion, we are living a lie.... mid table league one is our average

Brown is the most deluded about his ability at the club.

For the love of god man. Either play the right players in the right position and try to win a game of football, or leave in search of another mug of a chairman you can bore to death with talk of your time at hull city.

Saw Brown and Horton at Club Kingswood this morning
Ill be honest Horton looked like a bag lady shuffling around and PB didn’t look too pleased as he struttered around the gym in a sharp black suit

Perhaps he should. Lets face it, comments like what he keeps coming out with are hardly motovational.

You may be right, but the difference between success and failure is wafer thin in football. Had Theo's first half effort not been tipped away and if Nile hadn't naused up the penalty, or for that matter, Coxy's original bullet had gone in instead of cannoning off their defender's hand, then we wouldn't be having this debate. And Mr Brown would have been saying nice things about the side. Mind you, the cat could have kittens as well.

Brown is becoming tedious and boring, I can't be arsed to listen to his interviews anymore.

Let the team do your talking on the pitch and then you will have my undying gratitude.

'Sunderland is my dream job...but I am not Sunderland's dream manager.'

'We need a clean sheet mentality...but, despite wrecking the budget on defenders, I don't have the players to keep a clean sheet.'

'We are not as good as we think we are...but of course that does not include me.'

'The senior pro's are letting themselves and the club down...but only because they don't listen to me.'

'I am the man for the job...Rigsby is my PR guru...every supporter feels nothing less than love and gratitude for me.'

I don't care what twaddle has been thrown to us in the past. It is time PB stopped living in his illustrious (self-deluded) past. I don't want him as manager but he is. I just want him to realise he has not made the best of the job and that he needs to change a lot of things, starting with him. This is league 1. Set the team up and play it to it's strengths. Like any club that wants to be successful, there has to be realism. We cannot go on hoping for clean sheets and no plan B. We need to make the forward play more creative and clinical.

Take the shackles off the players PB. Let them do what they can do, at the level they can do it.

You may be right, but the difference between success and failure is wafer thin in football. Had Theo's first half effort not been tipped away and if Nile hadn't naused up the penalty, or for that matter, Coxy's original bullet had gone in instead of cannoning off their defender's hand, then we wouldn't be having this debate. And Mr Brown would have been saying nice things about the side. Mind you, the cat could have kittens as well.

Not getting the rub of the green happens, that's just the nature of the game. But a manager continuely slagging the team off to the media? Seems a strange way to get the best out of the players to me.

Not getting the rub of the green happens, that's just the nature of the game. But a manager continuely slagging the team off to the media? Seems a strange way to get the best out of the players to me.

I totally agree, and I wish he wouldn't, but it's not a new phenomenon for this season, he's been at it ever since he came to the club. Given that, I still am amazed that he has improved the club's position year on year. You would think that with constant criticism of the players each season he would have crashed and burned ages ago.

It's never his fault is it. At Yeovil he didn't underestimate Yeovil but the players did.

How many times has he said if they play like that again they are out of the side and how many have gone?

Rotherham, Doncaster, Wigan, Billericay (the three seniors), Yeovil, Portsmouth?

Fair point 'LBBlue'.

I've listened to the full interview now. I do like the way the Echo just uses BBC Essex's interview, rather than appear to conduct their own. Of course, missing out some of the positive things that were said!

That said, PB alluded to a bit of arguing amongst the players regarding who takes the penalties. That really needs to be sorted out and should come from the top.

I certainly think that PB should shoulder a bit of the blame for Saturday. OK, we had injuries since our last win at Walsall, but a change to the system seemed an odd move, to me.

I totally agree, and I wish he wouldn't, but it's not a new phenomenon for this season, he's been at it ever since he came to the club. Given that, I still am amazed that he has improved the club's position year on year. You would think that with constant criticism of the players each season he would have crashed and burned ages ago.

It's his managerial way of getting a reaction from players in the next game and reminding them who is in charge.

In fairness, whenever he says things like this, we tend to perform better in the next match, so it mostly works.

Whether it's right or wrong is another debate, entirely.

'Sunderland is my dream job...but I am not Sunderland's dream manager.'

'We need a clean sheet mentality...but, despite wrecking the budget on defenders, I don't have the players to keep a clean sheet.'

'We are not as good as we think we are...but of course that does not include me.'

'The senior pro's are letting themselves and the club down...but only because they don't listen to me.'

'I am the man for the job...Rigsby is my PR guru...every supporter feels nothing less than love and gratitude for me.'

I don't care what twaddle has been thrown to us in the past. It is time PB stopped living in his illustrious (self-deluded) past. I don't want him as manager but he is. I just want him to realise he has not made the best of the job and that he needs to change a lot of things, starting with him. This is league 1. Set the team up and play it to it's strengths. Like any club that wants to be successful, there has to be realism. We cannot go on hoping for clean sheets and no plan B. We need to make the forward play more creative and clinical.

Take the shackles off the players PB. Let them do what they can do, at the level they can do it.

Your absolutely right whateveryourknnownsasnow. We all know you would be the best man because your team and your tactics would always be the best. The fact that PB believes somehow it is his job proves, unlike you, the man is totally deluded.

One of your best skills is to know exactly what went wrong without even attending the game. The trouble is with our club we have far to many fans who go all to places like Pompey or MK and make the opinions on what they actually see on the pitch. Again self-deluding themselves about their own eyes.

I keep telling people to listen to you or say davewebbs brain etc, the very people who are so smart you know it was all 'Browns fault' (unless we win or get promoted) even before the game has kicked off.

The best thing to do is to let everyone know your opinion about PB on every thread. Use any excuse going to slag because there are far to many on here who haven't got the message yet:thumbsup:

Back