• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Peter Taylor also signed as an apprentice professional a few weeks before he was 17 in November 69 from Canvey Island. He made his debut a year later in November 70. The irony was that he had been a youth at and been rejected by both Palace and Spurs. Palace paid us £110k in October 73 and Spurs paid Palace £400k in September 76. Expensive mistakes!
Yes,the young Spud Taylor certainly displayed much speed,skill and vision for us,usually as our substitute!Perhaps our earliest(in my time) young starlet was Bobby Kellard who broke into our first team at 16 and into the England Youth team(Under 18s?) very soon afterwards.He enjoyed a long and very successful career in the higher echelons with the likes of Palace,Leicester,Pompey and Ipswich.

Only one of our Youth team graduates has gone on to play for England at Full international level, Peter Taylor

And Kightly was at Spurs as a youth and didn't join us until just before his 17th birthday

First time I saw Kightly was when he came on as a sub in Tilly's testimonial when we played an England XI.

Thought at the time that he looked a class player, which is why I'm a little surprised he hasn't really stood out this season, so far.

Still think there's great things to come from him and I fancy him to score a fair number of goals this season.

Yes,the young Spud Taylor certainly displayed much speed,skill and vision for us,usually as our substitute!Perhaps our earliest(in my time) young starlet was Bobby Kellard who broke into our first team at 16 and into the England Youth team(Under 18s?) very soon afterwards.He enjoyed a long and very successful career in the higher echelons with the likes of Palace,Leicester,Pompey and Ipswich.

I think I must have seen Bobby Kellard a few times. I came across Spud at Primary School when we played them in probably 62 or 63 and we won 4-0!. I think he used to work at Lentern Aircraft in Hawkwell before he turned pro.

There was Frankie Banks before Bobby Kellard. And not that many who we produced who had good careers in the last 60 years!

Peter Hunt
Paul Clark
Phil Dudley
John Keeley
Gary Nelson
Glenn Pennyfather
Spencer Prior
Justin Edinburgh
Leo Roget
Andy Edwards
Paul Smith
Leon Johnson
do we count Mel Capelton?

others who looked promising but fell by the wayside
Sean Rafter
Nicky Smith
John Gymer
Nicky Smith
Paul Denny
Steve Brown
James Lawson
Trevor Fitzpatrick
Kane Ferdinand (at least we got money for him!")

Then there are those we plucked from local non league
Ray Smith
Eddie May
Simon Royce
Tony Hadley

and then there are others who probably aren't worth mentioning.

Apologies if I have forgotten any one.

So to have Payne and Bentley at the same time and get good money for them is a major achievement.

Spencer Prior. Played in Europe, won the League Cup, played in top division.

Didn't Peter Taylor come from our youth ranks?

I know that was yonks ago and not under the same system, but he must be the most successful "son of Southend".

NB - Have just seen other replies, ignore the above.

Oxley over Bentley, Really? No chance. It seems that Bentley hasn't improved his concentration, which is a big weakness which could stint his progress into a Premier keeper, but he is worlds apart in quality over Oxley.

I'd still have Bentley over Oxley, personally. He has this presence about him which is almost Schmeichel-esque. I'm pretty sure I read an article with Dan where he said that PS was his hero and you can see that in his play IMO. Yes he might be making a few mistakes but as you said he is still young and keepers aren't supposed to hit their prime til their late twenties anyway.
Absolutely this. Dan was very reminiscent of Schmeichel in his prime - carriage, stance, presence. No doubting Oxley has done well this season, but I think I would still prefer Bentley, given the choice.
Jack Payne, for me, still looked fairly dangerous on Saturday. Yes he's certainly had better games but he could have quite easily added to his assists tally but for some wayward finishing from his teammates. I still can't see him playing much higher than lower-half Championship or League One though personally. Mainly because of his build tbh, I think in the higher leagues he'll just get outmuscled.
I thought Jack did ok Saturday, full credit though to Lenny, in particular, for keeping him fairly quiet and to the central defenders for not allowing him to get in positions to shoot. As I think most of us thought, I feel he went a season too early.

First time I saw Kightly was when he came on as a sub in Tilly's testimonial when we played an England XI.

Thought at the time that he looked a class player, which is why I'm a little surprised he hasn't really stood out this season, so far.

Still think there's great things to come from him and I fancy him to score a fair number of goals this season.

i have to agree and say I was more excited about Kightly than any of the other signings and am quite disappointed in his form so far.

He still has moments in a game when he looks pure class but I would still hope for far more impact in terms of goals and assists - I am sure it will come but currently would have him behind Lenny, McLaugh, Wordsworth and Wright in terms of my first choice midfield if all available.

I think I must have seen Bobby Kellard a few times. I came across Spud at Primary School when we played them in probably 62 or 63 and we won 4-0!. I think he used to work at Lentern Aircraft in Hawkwell before he turned pro.

There was Frankie Banks before Bobby Kellard. And not that many who we produced who had good careers in the last 60 years!

Peter Hunt
Paul Clark
Phil Dudley
John Keeley
Gary Nelson
Glenn Pennyfather
Spencer Prior
Justin Edinburgh
Leo Roget
Andy Edwards
Paul Smith
Leon Johnson
do we count Mel Capelton?

others who looked promising but fell by the wayside
Sean Rafter
Nicky Smith
John Gymer
Nicky Smith
Paul Denny
Steve Brown
James Lawson
Trevor Fitzpatrick
Kane Ferdinand (at least we got money for him!")

Then there are those we plucked from local non league
Ray Smith
Eddie May
Simon Royce
Tony Hadley

and then there are others who probably aren't worth mentioning.

Apologies if I have forgotten any one.

So to have Payne and Bentley at the same time and get good money for them is a major achievement.

Very interesting list there mate,but your comment on Frankie Banks is off the mark.He made just a couple of appearances as a 20year-old in1966–that’s 7 years AFTER Bobby Kellard!

Very interesting list there mate,but your comment on Frankie Banks is off the mark.He made just a couple of appearances as a 20year-old in1966–that’s 7 years AFTER Bobby Kellard!

Indeed ! Just 4 League games and a Cup match for Banks and Kellard had left even before the first of these, in 1963 at Colchester.
Few Southend supporters saw his finest moment in that spell, a goal at Rotherham in thick fog.

I'm wrong! Referring to the history book- Kellard's last game was in May 63 he only played 18 times in 62/63 and went to Crystal Palace who were in Div 3 like us.

Frank made his debut in September 1963 in a 3-3 draw at Col U. He made 2 appearances in September 64 and his only appearance in 65/66 in January 66. None of these were at full back. He signed for Hull in September 66 when he was just 21 where he played 288 times before resigning for us in 1976 playing 28 games in 76/77 and 42 in the 77/78 promotion season.

So most wouldn't swap the leagues leading assist maker for anyone in our team, a player that would also immediately become our top scorer.

Ok.

Absolutely this. Dan was very reminiscent of Schmeichel in his prime

What, Peter Schmeichel? The one who at his peak won the Euros with Denmark (Denmark!), the treble with Man U and was probably the greatest keeper ever?:omg::omg:

Or are we talking about Kasper or another son that most people haven't heard of?

What, Peter Schmeichel? The one who at his peak won the Euros with Denmark (Denmark!), the treble with Man U and was probably the greatest keeper ever?:omg::omg:

Or are we talking about Kasper or another son that most people haven't heard of?

Geoffrey Schmeichel. Runs to a small petting zoo outside Droitwich.

I'm wrong! Referring to the history book- Kellard's last game was in May 63 he only played 18 times in 62/63 and went to Crystal Palace who were in Div 3 like us.

Frank made his debut in September 1963 in a 3-3 draw at Col U. He made 2 appearances in September 64 and his only appearance in 65/66 in January 66. None of these were at full back. He signed for Hull in September 66 when he was just 21 where he played 288 times before resigning for us in 1976 playing 28 games in 76/77 and 42 in the 77/78 promotion season.

By the way, hyphens matter. Massive amount of difference between being told that PB has resigned and that PB has re-signed !

Thats ridiculous! Lionel messi has a similiar build to jack payne and hes the best player in the world and plays against the best players and teams! Its the skill factor not build!!

By the way, hyphens matter. Massive amount of difference between being told that PB has resigned and that PB has re-signed !

I did think about it - it didn't look right with a hyphen though! Players don't resign though do they. They just get released, transferred or they sign a new contract ( re-sign :winking:).

I did think about it - it didn't look right with a hyphen though! Players don't resign though do they. They just get released, transferred or they sign a new contract ( re-sign :winking:).

..... and just in case you're not convinced about the need for hyphens:

https://i1.wp.com/media.boingboing.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/First-hand-job-experience.jpeg?w=720&ssl=1

Back