• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Something I do want to add is how disappointed I was to hear some boos from some of our supporters when Clakey was subbed. Here's a man who never failed to give 100% for us, including THAT goal at Stamford Bridge and was always a great guy on and off the pitch - what on earth did people think they were doing booing him? I'm glad that plenty of others gave him a rousing round of applause as he left the pitch. Save your boos for those that deserve them!

Must have been a few random idiots, who didn't know what an immense presence he was for us a few years ago. There were a lot of people in the East Blacks, including yours truly, who gave Clarkey a standing ovation. Was a fantastic servant to us, and I will never forget THAT goal! I would have him back in a heartbeat! Just pleased he didn't extend his scoring record against us yesterday...

I don't know where you're situated Kay but from where I was in the East there was a lot of applause for Clarke. Anyone booing him probably wasn't going to Southend games before 2009!

No boos from our part of the West Stand.
I noticed Oldham fans applauding Oxley when he came down their end 2nd half. He was on loan a couple of seasons ago for them.

I'm central in the West, there were definitely some boos from this area.

Did you know that their keeper Johny Placide and Amadou Ba both played for Le Havre but not at the same time. The pair of them and Fortune were having along chat at the end of the game.

Good to see a positive result from a game that could have easily been one of those banana skin matches. Nice to see Demi score from the spot and Oxley maintaining his super form. Wright has nabbed another and hopefully he will get plenty more. A clean sheet too!

Good to see a positive result from a game that could have easily been one of those banana skin matches. Nice to see Demi score from the spot and Oxley maintaining his super form. Wright has nabbed another and hopefully he will get plenty more. A clean sheet too!

Apart from that...!

Apart from that...!

Much of what has been said. MAF is a model professional that should make many others feel ashamed. It was great to have a left back and after such a long time in the wilderness it is like a new signing. Oldham did not look hard enough to unlock our defence and better teams will be a greater test and a better indication of where we are. Second half was, Kightly, who? No major impact in his loss. If Demi misses the next penalty, we will have gone from a striker taking them, to a midfielder and now a defender. Step up Oxley, your time has come. :)

A good solid hardworking performance and our biggest home win since we beat, ehm Oldham 3-0, 14 matches ago.

Oldham started very brightly moving the ball quickly with short sharp passing and great movement - and got some decent efforts in - everything went through Jack Byrne - we took a bit of time to a settle. Luck and fortune does even out over a season and we got a penalty after just 17 minutes from their point of view was a stupid unnecessary foul.

Demetriou struck it home with aplomb. The game was pretty even without any one on either side threatening to score.

For their penalty I thought Demetriou won the ball fairly with a robust tackle - the ball went the way he played it and justice was done when Oxley brilliantly saved it. On another day a more pedantic ref would have ordered a retake as we had at least 4 players encroaching in the box before the penalty was struck.

Kightly went off with yet another hamstring injury- why do we get so many? And Wordsworth first two one-touches shows what he brings to the game.

In the second half we get them quite quiet and Byrne had less and less influence on the game and Fortune came into his own with some excellent hold up play. His control and keeping of the ball is exceptional and he slipped a ball through which McLaughlin just managed to catch before it crossed the dead ball line and cross first time pulling the ball back for Wright to knock home.

We managed to see the game out relatively easily with Oldham missing two great chances in the final quarter.

Oxley - Brilliant penalty save but not much else to do.

Demetriou - excellent I don't understand why people want him out of the team - he has as much energy as Leonard - he has quick feet and good control - can use both feet and works extremely hard. Lots of our forward movement comes from him which is why we rarely have anyone playing on the right wing.

Hendrie did well -he had oceans of space in front of him and go forward well - will be interesting to see how he does if he has someone attacking him - like Ricky Holmes.

Leonard excellent again - covers the centre halves a lot - his one weakness - failed again to connect with a header in the six yard box. Got taken out in time added on by the frustrated Doyle who should have seen red.

McLaughlin - second game running has put in a shift and looking more like the player of the start of last season. Needs to get to the line and pull crosses back more often.

However I don't think we should be bigging up this performance too much - we had less shots than them with only 2 on target. I'm not sure their keeper actually saved a shot in anger. It was our turn to win yesterday and nice to get it. The crunch starts in two weeks time.

Watch out Chris Phillips.

I'd personally have gone with JD, that's the best I've seen him play. He was everywhere yesterday and seemingly the only one who had the "Cojones" to take that penalty after everyone else walked away.

In fairness JD on pens had been decided before yesterday. If you look on YouTube, even at MK, Demi wants to take the pen but Lenny sternly points to Wright.

So far Oxley has preferred to dive to his left for a pen and that wont of gone unnoticed by the oppos scouts. Not sure if the Cox whisper was anything but a bluff but Ox got it right and what god strong block because the ball flew miles in the air.

In fairness JD on pens had been decided before yesterday. If you look on YouTube, even at MK, Demi wants to take the pen but Lenny sternly points to Wright.

So far Oxley has preferred to dive to his left for a pen and that wont of gone unnoticed by the oppos scouts. Not sure if the Cox whisper was anything but a bluff but Ox got it right and what god strong block because the ball flew miles in the air.

My God! I sent a little prayer up just before Davies leathered it. Never hurts to ask.

My God! I sent a little prayer up just before Davies leathered it. Never hurts to ask.

In fairness the Ox bouncing up and down jus before the kick in that 'fetching' keepers kit...... He looked like a Colossus

Last edited:
Agree with everything said before, and it's great to see such positivity on here. Hendrie was excellent, really needs to keep that shirt long term now. Thanks Tims, but your role is now to cover Lenny. Still a legend though

BTW, did anyone get a good view of that incident early on with their keeper and Coxy?

Looked like the keeper aimed a punch at him.

I saw it but from 60-70 yards and it looked like the keeper pushed Cox, dipped his head at him in simulated head butt then gave him a gentle slap, I doubt the ref saw it properly or until the verbals at the end or it would have been a red. I am surprised, we didn't work on annoying hi more,and said it at the time that the keeper could be worth winding up.

Back