• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Peterborough United 2-0 Southend United

Evening Echo

The News
A BELOW-PAR Southend United crashed out of the Checkatrade Trophy tonight – losing 2-0 at Peterborough United.

More...

Absolutely pathetic.

Oxley: Superb 8

JD: Not his night - gave away the first goal - casual or lacking concentration 4
AF: Did nothing wrong (unusual) but contributed little that was positive 5
JW: He has matured as he has grown older and now reads the game superbly. Our best defender - again 8
SH: Back to usual. Second goal down to him 4

JM: Was he actually playing? 5
JW: Worked hard but his girlie tackling is pathetic. Unlucky with header and please stop passing backwards and sideways 6
AW: Sorry didn't notice him 4
MT: The only other midfielder to put in a shift 6

NR: Oh dear. I have seen him play so well for us but not today - appears to need a pre season 5
Ba: Tried hard to little effect. 5

Robinson awful missed 2 easy chances 3
McLaughlin: As per JM 4
Cox: At least he tried. 6

To summarise, the problem is that Brown appears to be content with nice defensive football but has no idea or no wish to coach the attacking skills that will win games at this level.

We were probably the better team at passing it around but fifth best at trying to win the game.

Never mind Ron, a win would only have been worth £20k.

Absolutely pathetic.

JD: Not his night - gave away the first goal - casual or lacking concentration 4
JW: He has matured as he has grown older and now reads the game superbly. Our best defender - again 8

JW: Worked hard but his girlie tackling is pathetic. Unlucky with header and please stop passing backwards and sideways 6

NR: Oh dear. I have seen him play so well for us but not today - appears to need a pre season 5

To summarise, the problem is that Brown appears to be content with nice defensive football but has no idea or no wish to coach the attacking skills that will win games at this level.

We were probably the better team at passing it around but fifth best at trying to win the game.

No doubt poor old JW will find himself warming the bench again come Saturday:angry:

I thought it was JW that was caught out for the first goal with JD trying to cover

I thought it was JW that was caught out for the first goal with JD trying to cover

I was on the half way line on JDs side.

JD just lazily assumed that the cross field ball would be cut out (which it wasn't) and allowed Edwards to get goal side of him after the ball was kicked (so not offside) and Edwards finished well giving Oxley no chance.

Edwards, Marriott, Forrester and Maddison were a handful all evening and looked good players.

They'll surely get it too even if not with the Posh, who will definitely miss Tafazolli.

Just a few stitches apparently.

We're in go a goal down we can't score 2 mode away from home. Could be fatal.

Last edited:
I was on the half way line on JDs side.

JD just lazily assumed that the cross field ball would be cut out (which it wasn't) and allowed Edwards to get goal side of him after the ball was kicked (so not offside) and Edwards finished well giving Oxley no chance.

Edwards, Marriott, Forrester and Maddison were a handful all evening and looked good players.

Ye he was definitely onside, JD seemed surprised that there was a player going past him.

Shame you spoiled your report Mfrouk by claiming Anton was a 5 and JW an 8.....I know you don't like him but at least be fair otherwise genuine criticism won't count either.:winking:

Ye he was definitely onside, JD seemed surprised that there was a player going past him.

Shame you spoiled your report Mfrouk by claiming Anton was a 5 and JW an 8.....I know you don't like him but at least be fair otherwise genuine criticism won't count either.:winking:

Maybe mforuk saw Anton as a 5 and JW as an 8. It's his rating, not yours.

None of our players were worth an 8, absolute fact.... No one could give Anton less than a 6 if they are being fair.

In your opinion. The match ratings are subjective. You are welcome to post your own but it is unfair to criticise the ratings of another poster. Its how he sees it. Your opinion differs but fortunately everyone is entitled to their view. Also, there are no absolute facts when it comes to opinions.

Fair point I guess...........

The reason for the low mark and one of my issues with his performances (including yesterday) is that he is clearly a good footballer but oh so rarely carries the ball out of defence to set up attacks with good passes or one twos. His skills would allow him to be a potent threat and would keep the opposition guessing and on their toes.

I presume the reason he does the bare minimum is because of his fitness and he can't recover if the ball is then given away but, if this the case, why are we playing someone with such fitness levels in an ultra competitive division?

Maybe mforuk saw Anton as a 5 and JW as an 8. It's his rating, not yours.

I thought Oxley was worth eight.

He was faultless, made two or three top drawer saves and kept the score down.

However 12 months ago I would have bet huge sums that I would NEVER have written that.

Huge credit to him and his character.

I thought Oxley was worth eight.

He was faultless, made two or three top drawer saves and kept the score down.

However 12 months ago I would have bet huge sums that I would NEVER have written that.

Huge credit to him and his character.

Yes credit to the Ox and the goal keeping set up we have. Ted Smith tells me he's a really top bloke as well.

we may have trouble keeping him this summer if he carries on. He was worth a 7 but like everyone else in an orange shirt last night his kicking/passing wasn't at its best, which is normally a very good area for him. He did get angry at one point when he was trying to adjust in the wind. Gave some of his own team mates a deserved both barrels.

Yes credit to the Ox and the goal keeping set up we have. Ted Smith tells me he's a really top bloke as well.

we may have trouble keeping him this summer if he carries on. He was worth a 7 but like everyone else in an orange shirt last night his kicking/passing wasn't at its best, which is normally a very good area for him. He did get angry at one point when he was trying to adjust in the wind. Gave some of his own team mates a deserved both barrels.

Out of contract end of this season I am told... He must be top priority to get signed up, but you know we will **** it up !

......and Brown clapped heartily above his head in a demonstration of total agreement with Oxley.

Bizarre.

Brown's the manager not Oxley.

If anyone was going to give both barrels it should have been the management not our own keeper.

Just a few stitches apparently.

We're in go a goal down we can't score 2 mode away from home. Could be fatal.

Never took you for an optimist...........

We're struggling to even score one goal away from home.

2 in the last 5 matches and couldn't score against nine men for 10 minutes last night despite creating 2 (almost) unmissable chances.

......and Brown clapped heartily above his head in a demonstration of total agreement with Oxley.

Bizarre.

Brown's the manager not Oxley.

If anyone was going to give both barrels it should have been the management not our own keeper.

Any manager (except Wenger) likes leaders on the pitch and wants his senior players to sort the team out during in a game. I'm sure he is capable of a broadside, if necessary in the dressing room or even out on the pitch at half time. :winking:

Absolutely pathetic.

I lost count of the times John White tried to play a long ball and gave it straight back to a Peterborough player

Back