• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Match report: AFC Wimbledon 2, Southend United 0

I just don't get a lot of this talk. If we had won our last two games we would be chasing the playoffs and 2 games do not define a season.

There is no way I would NOT renew my season ticket. I am a Southend fan, through thick and thin, regardless of what league were are in, who the players are and who the manager is.

I'm more likely to not go as a result of the ploughed field that masquerades as Roots Hall rather than because of any individual or group of people.

Are we Southend fans or not?

PB does come out with some odd things.

Talks about people not being up for the cause, yet picks an injured Wordy who has coasted through recent games.

people call for PB head,seems to me PBs right when he says he wants to make 3 or 4 changes,think some of the players need to be off loaded before PB.When people give a player a 2 rating and for weeks that player has been rated as one off the worst performers then he shouldnt be anywhere near first team,no matter how good he may have been in the past.Who would i get rid of if i was PB , Wordsworth,Robinson, McGlashen,White,Ferdinand,kightley.Oh sod it just keep Oxley,Cox,Demetriou,Lenny ,Ranger and the young lads let the rest go.:sad:

people call for PB head,seems to me PBs right when he says he wants to make 3 or 4 changes,think some of the players need to be off loaded before PB.When people give a player a 2 rating and for weeks that player has been rated as one off the worst performers then he shouldnt be anywhere near first team,no matter how good he may have been in the past.Who would i get rid of if i was PB , Wordsworth,Robinson, McGlashen,White,Ferdinand,kightley.Oh sod it just keep Oxley,Cox,Demetriou,Lenny ,Ranger and the young lads let the rest go.:sad:

Why get rid of White when, according to people who have seen him play, he is one of our "reliable" players this season ?

See I don't get that. I'm a season ticket holder (38 years) and my son (6 years). I hate what's going on and have actually never liked Brian. But, I would never stop going home and away and supporting the team. I'm a southend united fan, not a Phil Brown fan. Managers and players come and go, the one thing that stays consistent is Southend United the football club

"I'm Brian, and so is my wife".

For those of you who might have some interest in what happened at todays match......Their pitch was excellent compared to ours, I'm told Chelsea have spent money on it as their ladies play there. The first half was not unlike the first 45 against Shrewsbury with both teams looking scrappy and plenty of aerial football on display.

The second half we conceded another cheap goal, not sure how it wasn't cleared off the line by Kightly? but its difficult to see from where we were. At 2-0 down we did try to play our poor mans Arsenal game, over passing and taking a needless extra touch etc. We actually got into some really good positions down each wing but the crossing wouldn't have troubled my nan let alone their keeper. McG did pull one decent ball back for Cox to head over and then McG himself missed a decent angled chance on the left, after he had switched side with McL. We also wasted 2 or 3 free-kicks.

The truth is we got in better positons and probably had more chances than when we won 2-0 her last season. But finishing has been our big let down this term.

Fortune offered no punch up front, in fact their first chance came after he was easily robbed in the middle of the park. Then he went through just to the left of the goal and had a simple square ball to an unmarked Yearwood but chose to scuff a pathetic effort straight at the keeper.

In fairness to Wimbledon they looked up for it. Even the first goal you could see their lad was going to deliver the cross without fuss. Dru was lazy closing him down for those of you who think its just the old crocks who aren't doing it. Dru had a quiet first 45 although at least he showed some intent and actually had a shot on target. He did look better second half.

Harry Kip was fine on his return. Ranger came on and offered very little. Other than that some very average performances.

So after beating Charlton on Boxing day the Christmas break has ended in tears for some, or are they really tears of joy because we lost to Wimbledon ?

For those of you who might have some interest in what happened at todays match......Their pitch was excellent compared to ours, I'm told Chelsea have spent money on it as their ladies play there. The first half was not unlike the first 45 against Shrewsbury with both teams looking scrappy and plenty of aerial football on display.

The second half we conceded another cheap goal, not sure how it wasn't cleared off the line by Kightly? but its difficult to see from where we were. At 2-0 down we did try to play our poor mans Arsenal game, over passing and taking a needless extra touch etc. We actually got into some really good positions down each wing but the crossing wouldn't have troubled my nan let alone their keeper. McG did pull one decent ball back for Cox to head over and then McG himself missed a decent angled chance on the left, after he had switched side with McL. We also wasted 2 or 3 free-kicks.

The truth is we got in better positons and probably had more chances than when we won 2-0 her last season. But finishing has been our big let down this term.

Fortune offered no punch up front, in fact their first chance came after he was easily robbed in the middle of the park. Then he went through just to the left of the goal and had a simple square ball to an unmarked Yearwood but chose to scuff a pathetic effort straight at the keeper.

In fairness to Wimbledon they looked up for it. Even the first goal you could see their lad was going to deliver the cross without fuss. Dru was lazy closing him down for those of you who think its just the old crocks who aren't doing it. Dru had a quiet first 45 although at least he showed some intent and actually had a shot on target. He did look better second half.

Harry Kip was fine on his return. Ranger came on and offered very little. Other than that some very average performances.

So after beating Charlton on Boxing day the Christmas break has ended in tears for some, or are they really tears of joy because we lost to Wimbledon ?

Absolutely no tears of joy at seeing us 17th after 5 losses from 6, out of both major cups at the first hurdle and on the brink of a relegation dogfight. But I’ll be happy if I see the back of Brown. You can sugar coat it for Phil all you like but the dressing room is anything but harmonious (this is now showing on the pitch), Brown is unable to do anything about it apart from make panicked changes to the team (including starting a clearly unfit Kightly) which just unsettled things even more, and our tactics/style of play is turgid, aimless and ineffective hoofball which even the division’s worst teams have sussed out and there is absolutely no “Plan B” to switch to in that case. Charlton was an anomaly.

Absolutely no tears of joy at seeing us 17th after 5 losses from 6, out of both major cups at the first hurdle and on the brink of a relegation dogfight. But I’ll be happy if I see the back of Brown. You can sugar coat it for Phil all you like but the dressing room is anything but harmonious (this is now showing on the pitch), Brown is unable to do anything about it apart from make panicked changes to the team (including starting a clearly unfit Kightly) which just unsettled things even more, and our tactics/style of play is turgid, aimless and ineffective hoofball which even the division’s worst teams have sussed out and there is absolutely no “Plan B” to switch to in that case. Charlton was an anomaly.

Perhaps you could explain to all the fans who were at yesterdays game what that means ? I'll look forward to your match report.

I believe they had 7-8 first team players injured, but you can only beat what is in front of you..!

I honestly think Brown has one more game, and Northampton isn't an easy place to go to. We need to change on or off the pitch in the next week else this season will slip away

In fairness to Wimbledon they looked up for it.

Of course they looked up for it.

It's what they do for a living.

And they don't have a manager who would tolerate them cheating their supporters by giving anything less than 100% effort.

I hate it when anyone says, with justification, "they wanted it more". Why ?

Of course they looked up for it.

It's what they do for a living.

And they don't have a manager who would tolerate them cheating their supporters by giving anything less than 100% effort.

I hate it when anyone says, with justification, "they wanted it more". Why ?

Probably because this is a match report thread and some of us do credit to the opposition if they play well as a team or certain individuals who catch the eye.

Others of course believe we have a given right to beat anyone they label as 'tin pot' regardless of how each team performs on the day.

Others tend to contribute nothing to the thread but like to single out anyone who is constructive with their match reports....Why?

A decent match report then you drop in the line I have highlighted. This is why people end up getting into arguments with you. Inflammatory comments that you know are going to get people going. If you cut these out, you would be a well respected poster.

I am not one who will be goaded by these comments anymore, I am done with this sort of thing. What will be will be, what you say has no bearing on my view or opinion or the future of Southend United. Keep up the decent match reports please though

Thank you for a good honest critical report backing up what Glen Pennyfather said on the radio commentary.
He, like Paul Clark, thinks that White and Kyprianou are our best choice at centre back. Yearwood, he thought was completely wasted on the flank in the first half and said he should have tucked in more to counter their midfield three (which he did in the second half) that just ploughed through Leonard and Wordsworth with always a spare man. Five changes was two too many - we will never get any rhythm or understanding with constant chopping and changing.

And there's no tears of joy as our manager seems completely blind to the fact that we are plummeting fast back to football oblivion.

Thank you for a good honest critical report backing up what Glen Pennyfather said on the radio commentary.
He, like Paul Clark, thinks that White and Kyprianou are our best choice at centre back. Yearwood, he thought was completely wasted on the flank in the first half and said he should have tucked in more to counter their midfield three (which he did in the second half) that just ploughed through Leonard and Wordsworth with always a spare man. Five changes was two too many - we will never get any rhythm or understanding with constant chopping and changing.

And there's no tears of joy as our manager seems completely blind to the fact that we are plummeting fast back to football oblivion.

Possibly 5 changes were to many but Ferdinand, Turner and Wright were all forced. Fortune for Ranger should be easy enough so the only decision was Dru for McL.

He was also thinking of resting Coker and Wordsworth had a poor game but may well have been rested if Wright or Timlin had been fit.

One of the reasons Dru was quiet in the first 45 was most of the play was down our left. Oxley likes to kick that side anyway and the wind was blowing right to left for us as well. So equally they had very little play down our right apart from the goal, which was actually switched from our left to player unmarked because wouldn't just know it Dru had tucked in side and come more central....Like I said he should have made better ground to block the cross but equally I never heard any captain like figure shouting for him to close it.

Possibly 5 changes were to many but Ferdinand, Turner and Wright were all forced. Fortune for Ranger should be easy enough so the only decision was Dru for McL.

He was also thinking of resting Coker and Wordsworth had a poor game but may well have been rested if Wright or Timlin had been fit.

One of the reasons Dru was quiet in the first 45 was most of the play was down our left. Oxley likes to kick that side anyway and the wind was blowing right to left for us as well. So equally they had very little play down our right apart from the goal, which was actually switched from our left to player unmarked because wouldn't just know it Dru had tucked in side and come more central....Like I said he should have made better ground to block the cross but equally I never heard any captain like figure shouting for him to close it.

I would dispute what you say about Turner being a forced change. Before the game I heard Brown say that given the number of matches over Christmas he was resting Turner. I would say that if he hadn't bought half of his side from the knackers yard, he would have had no need to rest a player.

Saw earlier on Twitter that someone posted a photo of PB apparently out late last night, looking as if he was enjoying himself and asking how the players can get motivated when he sets that kind of example? Fair point I think.

That's ridiculous. I'm no Brown apologist but the man is entitled to a social life outside of work and the group of players he tries to rely on are certainly old enough not to need someone telling them how to behave. There are more than enough legitimate reasons to bash Brown without having a go at him for nonsense like this.

That's ridiculous. I'm no Brown apologist but the man is entitled to a social life outside of work and the group of players he tries to rely on are certainly old enough not to need someone telling them how to behave. There are more than enough legitimate reasons to bash Brown without having a go at him for nonsense like this.

I’m a halfway house on this one. No-one saying he shouldn’t enjoy his social life but he was supposedly completely trashed. There is definitely a case for arguing that it sets a poor example the night before an important match. Supposedly he was rarely out of his seat during the match which is unlike him even when the chips are down. If that’s because he was hanging out if his arsehole then it’s affected his job performance.

Let's face it, supporting Southend United is never dull or boring, ( though I suppose some might say our away performances this season are :sad:). At Xmas we were supposed to be chasing a playoff place.Now it looks more like we could be dragged into a relegation dogfight.

A Happy New Year to the team (get your collective fingers out lads) and to all Shrimpers.

Back