• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Great day. Had a pre game lunch in The Bell at Stilton, about 6 miles from the ground. A superb stilton ploughmans - as you might expect - and that got the afternoon off to a fantastic start.

A good opening 20 mins from us, should have (some of you please take note) been more than 1-0 up. However, then I felt we were a bit "under the posh" (see what I did there?) for the rest of the half and a tad fortunate to be level. I didn't notice the offside for their first disallowed effort so it was either a bloomin' good call or he was wrong.

What we were concerned about was the fact that we were playing a reasonably high line and when you have naff all pace at the back that leaves you open to the ball inside the full backs or over the top, which Peterborough played time and time again. We wondered how we could combat that and the only thing we could think of was to play a touch deeper.

We didn't seem to learn from that however and the second half started more or less the same, and it was from such a pass that led John White to suffer the injury. In the time he was being treated, SCP was really giving Ferdinand a talking to and boy, did that work. I've never seen Ferdinand look so focused. He actually looked like a top level player out there with his commitment, one superb tackle in the box, numerous headers and an absolutely solid partnership with Turner. This is his favoured position - alongside the big man - and from that moment we more or less snuffed their threat out. I think their best effort came from Cox and I have no idea what he was trying to do. Possibly hammer it against the player to make it cannon off him? Either way it could have been one that graced football blooper DVD's for years to come.

We did have to defend like crazy as their had so many corners and balls into the box, and I have no idea if the second disallowed goal was on or offside, but I'll take the decisions and maybe this is just the little bit of luck we need.

We were all saying on the way back that it feels like the season has just begun again and the level of excitement and enthusiasm is incredible.

I'm not going to say too much about the ref - I think he was poor for both teams but he gave us a penalty and ignored two late pleas from them. A month ago they may well have gone against us.

Final note - the fans. We were absolutely the 12th man today. Best away performance from us for years (I know I only go to 2 or 3 a season, but hey.)

Ratings

Oxley - 8 - Two great saves that kept us in it.

Demetriou - 8 - Solid, match winning and calm penalty
Coker - 8 - Loved seeing him keep playing the ball down the line instead of always stopping and going inside, it helps us get the ball into the danger areas so much faster
Turner - 7 - Aerially dominant, not sure about him with the ball on the deck
White - 8 - Was great up to the injury, I hope it's not a break or too serious as at his age that could be career ending

Kightly - 7 - Not quite as good as last week but still vastly improved on earlier in the season
McLaughlin - 7 - Won the penalty, nearly added a second that went just past
Timlin - 9 - MOM - Best game of the season and dominated in midfield
Yearwood - 8 - Fed off Tims and had a cracker. I feared for him however at the booking. Received praise from the BBC Cambridge reporter who said he was lucky to stay on the pitch but looked a real prospect

Cox - 8 - Worked so hard but wtf was that shot at our goal all about?
Fortune - 6 - The only player in my opinion who didn't perform beyond the average.

Subs -

Ferdinand - 8 - Welcome back Anton, all is forgiven
Ladapo - 7 - Got a rude awakening with a couple of solid challenges but stood up and battled back. Not a bad start.

Last edited:
I'm not going to say too much about the ref - I think he was poor for both teams but he gave us a penalty and ignored two late please from them. A month ago they may well have gone against us.

That is quite an interesting observation (well, it is to me!) and would seem to suggest that there is a link between how a team "feels" and whether decisions go against them .............. and I think that, in a small way, there is.

This is not a dig at referees who I believe try to be impartial and get things right ........ but when you are close to relegation, battling hard for every ball, trying to get back into the game, trying to get some sort of spark into the team and your play ............ then you see players being angry and remonstrating at every marginal, niggling or 50/50 that goes against them whilst the opposition pick themselves up and just get on with the game ............ and perhaps, in some small corner of the referees mind, there is a little person silently asking whether one team is trying it on whilst the other is being more "professional".

Rubbish perhaps? But as we all know there is a lot of psychological play in any sport.

Other than award us a penalty and disallow two goals for them, but I don't suppose they minded those decisions as they had little impact on the game.

He didn't disallow two goals he gave two free kicks for off-side as flagged by his assistant.....Slight difference.

The best decision was when one of our lads was sent flying with a clear two handed shove on the half way line (he may be making a claim for whiplash as we speak). The ref blew his whistle, they never complained just started to jog back to face up to the kick. Somehow he gave it to them. Don't think there was a single person in the ground saw that one coming.

Glad to see someone else has mentioned Coxy's unbelievable own goal effort early in the second half. We sat there and wondered what the hell he was trying to do and the only conclusion we could come up with was that he'd forgotten that we'd changed ends at half time! He just hit it so hard, fortunately not too far from Oxley so that he could save it.

Glad to see someone else has mentioned Coxy's unbelievable own goal effort early in the second half. We sat there and wondered what the hell he was trying to do and the only conclusion we could come up with was that he'd forgotten that we'd changed ends at half time! He just hit it so hard, fortunately not too far from Oxley so that he could save it.

Yes it was bizarre. I think both players just went in for full on 50-50 but their lad realised quick enough that they were both facing the wrong way so a good one to lose and pulled out.

The afternoon started off well in the Palmerston Arms, and just got better! What a transformation from my previous away games this season. This time playing as a team and for each other. All played well and it's good to have the Timlin of old back.
Listened to BBC Cambridge post match on way back - very good summary about Timlin and Yearwood's performances.
Onwards and upwards fellow Shrimpers. Bring on the Latics next week!!

A good opening 20 mins from us, should have (some of you please take note) been more than 1-0 up.

Pleasing......

I'm not going to say too much about the ref - I think he was poor for both teams but he gave us a penalty and ignored two late please from them.

Not so pleasing..... :smile:

" I didn't notice the offside for their first disallowed effort so it was either a bloomin' good call or he was wrong."

If you can slow the highlights. From that their player was a yard offside. Tidy finish nonetheless.

Watching on ifollow, again it was chalk and cheese to the last few away games.

Players giving 100% in the right way and in the right areas of the pitch. Confidence back, team spirit and togetherness back.

In the first 25 minutes we got behind the borough defence at least 4 or 5 times and should of been more than 1 up to be honest. As expected, for the home side they grew into the game and bossed possesion for 20 minutes either side of half time, playing some lovely passing football, but never really in and dangerous areas of the pitch and we only looked vulnerable to the long ball over the top. Oxley made two top drawer saves from one on ones during this period.

After that they ran out of steam a little and other than the 10 minutes of injury time, when the kitchen sink was thrown at us, I don’t think we looked in too much trouble and dealt with everything quite comfortably.

Oxley 8. Two vital saves at a vital time of the match. Time wasted brilliantly too.
Coker 7.5 Got forward well in the first 20 then defended solidly.
White 7.5 Gave 100% As always, I hope the injury isn’t too bad.
Turner 8 Won everything and calm as well.
Demi 8 Same as Coker, but gets the extra .5 for the cool penalty.
Macca 8 Won the pen, worked hard, looks back to the form of last season.
Kightly 8.5 Showed premiership class at times, and now looks fit and raring to go.
Dru 8 Still a few bits of inexperience but 10 times better than last weeks MOM performance :smile::smile:
Timlin 8 Best game from him all season, broke up play, chased, tackled, worked well with Dru
Cox 8 Top effort, links play well when given the ball to feet. I hope now PB has gone he may sign a new contract.
MAF 7 Did OK, held the ball up, but zero goal threat.

Ladapo 7.5 Not as good technique as MAF and not as good at holding the ball up, but had more goal threat in 25 mins.
Ferdinand 7.5 Slotted in well, look like the player from last year.

So the same players produce a totally different performance from previous regime. What a waste this season has been. If Ron had pulled the trigger a couple of weeks earlier then we may have still been in with a shout of the play offs.

Next week will be a huge test though, and a point would be a good result.

Excuse my stupid question, but is Ifollow available to anyone or do you have to be abroad?

Grinned and waved at the aways when he got abuse. Respect for him the way he was , at one point, the only Southend player registered !

He does seem to play with a smile for most of the time .......... reminds me slightly of another ex-player .....:whistling:

Hope this helps, not just for overseas users

https://www.southendunited.co.uk/faqs/

I’d assume the OP was more interested in the live video feed of matches. That is only available to non-UK users, presumably as it could be seen as an alternative to attending the game itself and affecting the attendance.

There are ways to get it working within the UK though. PM me for details.

Back