• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Still on a high from yesterday and I would say it’s our best performance of the season.

I loved one particular moment, when, just after Ferdinand was booked, Wigan’s Powell, by the touchline, was giving it large to the East Greens. A gentleman of quite advanced years may I say, confronted Powell, verbally abused him and advanced to the gangway offering to take him on with his fists clenched. Both Powell and a nearby steward gestured toward him to calm down which he duly did. I don’t condone use of the ‘c’ word by anyone but I would imagine it would have been quite out of character for this gentleman but hey what passion and smiles all round afterwards. Classic.

Sorry folks and many many apologies from the gent of "advanced years" (cheeky bu**er I'm 63). Must confess the occasion got to me. Don't think my lad was too impressed! Was hoping that Powell would stay on the pitch to the end and perhaps come over and we'd shake hands but was not to be.

As an exile, this is the kind of detail I love in a match report. You’re the only person in 7 pages of posts who has given a rating to your own clothes. Let’s have more of this.

Personally, I went with the old stalwart of layers.
Long sleeved base layer, polo shirt with standard jersey under a medium fleece. Scarf, flat cap, jeans. All steady as usual and all get an 8.
Did go for the thermal socks though, usual solid and ever reliable performance, 9.
Hands got a bit chilly second half and the new Bart's gloves, signed at Xmas, made their debut for about 20 minutes, I'll rate them a 9.5 and think they show a great deal of promise for the future.

Great team performance all round, intelligent play in the conditions and good use of our pitch. Some of you say Wigan weren't all that but they showed how dangerous they can be after Vaughn came on. Just to remind you they started the game with a goal difference of +42....Ours was -13. In their 13 away games they had conceded only 9 goals, so the fact that we had an all important 2-0 lead and had kept them quiet for 60 minutes was down to our work rate and some very good performances.

I watched their big 33 Burn warming up in the last few seconds before KO with a few leaps for headers. I'm thinking hope we don't play him into the game with some floaty balls up the middle, so he can jump all over Cox and MAF. Right from the start we played a ball down into the NE corner flag and Burn had to concede a throw.

From then on we kept up the pressure and from a free kick in the same place we got just the start we needed. Whatever anyone says you have to respect a team who is top of the league. That doesn't mean you sit back it means you work hard off the ball and on our pitch take no chances at the back and play your football in the final 3rd.

They never had time to settle and credit to Turner for his goal. What you don't see on the highlights is that Turner dragged Burn right out wide towards the West stand and then zigzagged round him get in the right place. Looked easy in the end but it was another quality free kick from McL.

Good teams always have a strong spine but I always think good partnerships are just as important. Even in the pub it was unanimous that Timlin and Dru would be in with a shout for MOM. Cox with a lovely weighted and disguised pass and Fortune on the move gave us that vital 2-0 lead. Anton and Turner showed why when both are fit, there our best pairing at the back.

Wigan tried to play out from the back but our pitch slows good football enough that working off the ball is more rewarding for a team than trying to over pass. That meant they, as we have done in the past, got sucked in to playing it long. In the wind and drizzle Turner attacked anything in the air and Anton mopped up the ball over the top with some neat header back. None of our lads messed about and cleared first time. Some may accuse us of 'hoof ball', I say its conditions management. Certainly no complaints for the move that created the second goal.

The talk at half time was lets not concede in the first 15 after the break. 10 minutes in and the only team looking like scoring was us. Fortune should have squared an easy ball to Cox for 3-0 and game over. As they came into it we made the mistake of trying to pass in attempt to keep the ball more. In the end that cost us a goal. It was just at a time when Dru drifted out of the game for a bit. MAF could have done better and then Timlin decided to have a touch instead of playing down the channel as he had first half. Good finish by Vaughn and nice deliberate use of his elbow on Turner so glad he never got the pen later.

At 2-1 they put us under and tension grew around the Hall. Freddie the sub done the job he was brought on for, turned his man and won a throw in front of the blacks. Good game management as we kept it down their for a few throws and waited for them to make the mistake. Coker found some room and Cox was allowed time to get his shot away when maybe other top teams would have closed that down. Just when I was thinking Kightly has tried to be a bit to cute at times....Up he pops and smashes in the winner.....Not realy the winner but I think you know what I mean.

MOM could have gone to Timlin or Dru for different reasons but for me step forward Michael Turner for my second week in a row. As I said in the pre match and early goal would rattle them and it gave us an extra 10% in work rate. Equally you don't beat Wigan if you can't defend and Turner can certainly do that. He was clearly angry with that elbow but kept his head and didn't do anything daft as the result matters more to him.

Somebody once said you can't win anything with kids....That's debateable but as we showed yesterday you can win with old men. :winking:

Last edited:
A wonderful day and magnificent turnaround in style. I have been a bit sceptical about the Powell "Messiah"-style posts but three wins on the bounce against quality opposition can't be argued with.
the occasion (also my birthday) was crowned by the following bit of dialogue from two young lads sat next to me in the West after we went 2-0 up:

"What do think Phil Brown is doing now?"

""Dunno....probably having a sh*t in an alleyway."

Proud to be a Shrimper.

Nick Powell, for all the hype about him, was gash yesterday. That probably had more to do with our defence than him though

That, for me, was why Tims just shaded MOM for me.

Every time Powell had the ball, him or Dru were on to him. Never let him settle at all.

He's a good manager, I seem to recall him being very complimentary about us a few seasons back as well after a game.

Probably after we beat Chesterfield 3-0 four years ago when they won League 2.

I can't think that he likes coming to Roots Hall.

The afternoon started well in the Cricketers and got better with a superb performance at the Hall! Timlin and Dru were awesome in the centre of midfield, continuing from their performances at Peterborough.
Turner was my MOM. The West Stand atmosphere was electric!
Having suffered twice at Wigan away recently it was good to finish on top this time.
Onwards and upwards fellow Shrimpers. Bring on the Shakers!!

We have just won 3 in a row! We are only 9 points behind with a game in hand we win that and onky 6 points behind 6th! The teams above are not exactley settling the world on fire right now !! But we are and we keep this form up under the magic man then we can make playoffs still! Look at what barnsley did! Dont be negative and enjoy the ride were on!! Up the blues

The bogs got 3/10. That's pretty good.

Blimey, they've improved. In the early 70s, the bog at the North/West corner would have got nought out of ten. Open drain type. It stank even if you were first to use it. It only had one cubicle for a number 2. No light, no toilet rolls as they were always stolen to throw on the pitch by the North Bank. The wooden door was broke at the hinge and the lock was busted off. And it was always flooded/blocked, so you were welcomed by stinking floaters. It really was appalling. Possibly the worst in the whole football league, and that's saying something. It couldn't have had anyone cleaning it.

Blimey, they've improved. In the early 70s, the bog at the North/West corner would have got nought out of ten. Open drain type. It stank even if you were first to use it. It only had one cubicle for a number 2. No light, no toilet rolls as they were always stolen to throw on the pitch by the North Bank. The wooden door was broke at the hinge and the lock was busted off. And it was always flooded/blocked, so you were welcomed by stinking floaters. It really was appalling. Possibly the worst in the whole football league, and that's saying something. It couldn't have had anyone cleaning it.

Other than that? :unsure: The Ladies' was better, it had a roof! :smile:

Good post Rigsby. Seeing Demi not piling forward much anymore, reminded me of the shape of our team which i saw on Saturday. Certainly the wide midfielders are getting in forward positions, that includes crosses coming in from the opposite side of the pitch. It could have been the fact we were playing Wigan, but i noticed Dru and Timlin were holding their central positions and not trying to break forward in general all game. I missed Posh but thought this to be the case against Scunny at home. Makes it easier to mop up the wingers if they lose possession out there. Of course its quite easy to play like that when you know they can play balls into MAF and Cox who will keep possession up top. The Roots Hall roar is definetly helping get the decisions right now too, when we lose the decisions at home then we'll see how we cope. But if SCP keeps on attacking teams with intent like this, then the decisions wont be as important in games. The way i see it, we are creating plenty of chances and long may that continue.

As they should be! :smile:

I remember the old toilets and, lets be honest, they weren't much better anywhere else. Just some concrete slabs thrown together, a tin roof and a gutter to p**s in!

It was all part of the football experience, though. We weren't at the London Palladium. We were there to get rained on, booted up the a**e by the oppo supporters and demoralized by a 1-0 defeat. But, we loved it! :thumbsup:

As they should be! :smile:

I remember the old toilets and, lets be honest, they weren't much better anywhere else. Just some concrete slabs thrown together, a tin roof and a gutter to p**s in!

It was all part of the football experience, though. We weren't at the London Palladium. We were there to get rained on, booted up the a**e by the oppo supporters and demoralized by a 1-0 defeat. But, we loved it! :thumbsup:

Our one's didn't even have a tin roof. I know for a fact because we used to bunk in via the Shakespeare Drive alley, straight into those bogs before fans started coming into the ground.

Back