• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Blues boss Powell: We still have plenty to play for

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United manager Chris Powell feels the Shrimpers still have plenty to play for this season - despite their mid-table position.

More...

I know it's not on a par with finishing 4th in the Prem or anything, but top half does mean that we get seeded in the league cup next season...

I would be shocked if we stay up this season based on current form/squad.

We have lost just once in the last 8 matches and have kept 4 clean sheets in that time. Granted we are not safe yet and have struggled with goals in the last 3 matches but we’ve scored 3 goals in 3 of those last 8 so I’m not sure our form is that bad!

There are 7 teams between us and 21st and we only have to do better than 1 of those teams!

Why are so many people pessimistic and worry about being relegated, do they actually believe it will happen? You can get odds of 50 to 1 on it happening. Enjoy the football, look forward to next season with the new manager and be positive. Don't forget the new stadium will be here soon as well.

There are still players who should be playing for a contract. It should remain competitive for that reason at the very least.

Timlin was dropped after the 3-0 defeat to Walsall and Wright has just be handed an extension so that means one spot in the middle is taken. White is back in training and I'm sure would like to remind CP why was was ahead of Ferdinand before the season ends. Wordsworth's, despite CP saying he's a talented player hasn't shown much in him too much of that on the pitch yet. Cox was dropped to the subs bench vs Rochdale, and hasn't scored since Boxing Day. Time is also running out for Ladapo...

What have we proven and what do we still have to prove? Well there is a lot of fact based evidence with regard to our season but, as always in football, it will be down to the subjective interpretations of the facts as to how good or bad we have done.

1. CP has steadied the boat and warranted his appointment...or...was it that Ranger left and the dark clouds were lifted...or...maybe the players took a collective responsibility for the sacking of PB and, guilt ridden, they decided to finally put their best foot forward?

2. Key players like AF have come through the injuries and can now play to his best...or...some downed tools previously...or...the selections suit the squad better?

3. Our pitch is the problem...or...our away form does not suggest the home form is out of character...or...we don't have enough roll your sleeves up types that can battle it out?

Put whatever stats you like to whatever question you can think of and there will be a lack of consensus as to the answer. The only thing left this season that I want to see some evidence of is the tag of striker applied to some of our players. Beyond that, there is enough evidence to satisfy my mind, that in order to progress next season, we need one hell of a clear out and some very savvy player acquisitions.

Things aren't looking too rosy at the minute, especially with some difficult fixtures coming up, but it would be a real surprise if we were to be relegated - I can see some nervous times ahead but by the time we play MK Dons at home on 21st April we should be safe having taken points from Blackpool, Gillingham and Oxford - only one of those needs to be a win.

1 win in 5 and strikers unable to score is a worrying combination. We may look alright now, but lets revisit when we've lost the next few games. I bet there'll be less raised eyebrows on here.

We look devoid of ideas and the performances are insipid to watch.

Back