• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bury & Bolton points deficit

Bolton first game of the season against Wycombe will go ahead, but the Bury V MK Don's match has been suspended due to their financial uncertainty.

How can you replace them now? I would imagine it just becomes a 23 team league and only 3 teams go down.

I hope Bury can sort it out before it gets to that, can't imagine what their fans are feeling after the joys of a promotion to go through this.
However if you do this you would need to change the promotion of either league 2 or the conference to get numbers back up next season

I presume you mean getting kicked out of the EFL?

I was thinking the same thing.

Maybe at a guess 5 teams get promoted from Div 2 (if they meet the criteria???)... just to even it up next year??

Anyway...Personally, I would like to even it out, to keep it simple, and have just 3 teams promoted and 3 teams relegated all the way from the Premier League down to the National Conference League.

Last edited:
I presume you mean getting kicked out of the EFL?

I was thinking the same thing.

Maybe at a guess 5 teams get promoted from Div 2 (if they meet the criteria???)... just to even it up next year??

Anyway...Personally, I would like to even it out, to keep it simple, and have just 3 teams promoted and 3 teams relegated all the way from the Premier League down to the National Conference League.

If the home games against any team equate to about 5% of the home games' season then that
is a sizable chunk of revenue for all teams to lose; okay a season ticket holder will have already paid for the non played Bury/Bolton game but if both don't occur that is a hefty wedge missing.
Is it a "by" for league and C-a-T cup rounds for their opponents?
The EFL have left it all very (too?) late to get sorted out.
Surely rules were in place for this?
There can be no act of charity to bail them out at the 11 hour as there are so many clubs (including us) teetering on the edge.
A major study on the state of the league pyramid is needed and PDQ for our cherished and much admired system to survive.

What happened in relation to Bolton failing to fulfill their fixture last year. Do they have further points still to be deducted?

This is still outstanding isn’t it? I remember talk at the end of last season that the EFL would throw the book at them for not fulfilling the fixture, mainly as a deterrent to other clubs. Luckily it didn’t affect promotion/relegation issues for other clubs, but it could have done. I can’t understand why no decision has been made on this over the summer and here we are four days before the start of the new season with still the possibility of an additional points deduction.

At what point do the EFL decide that it's not fair to cause a fixture pile up for all the other clubs in the division, and throw them out?

I'm not advocating that, but there must come a point when it becomes unfair on both Bury and all the other teams in the division.

I can't see Bury surviving sadly. Bolton I think will find a buyer that will solve their problems in the short term at least.

I can't see Bury surviving sadly. Bolton I think will find a buyer that will solve their problems in the short term at least.
I hope you are right BUT they have had several new owner/buyers in the last few season and it may be that assets (such as the hotel/car park) have been sold off; and what is left, the core football club, is not an attractive proposition other than to a billionaire fan.

I hope you are right BUT they have had several new owner/buyers in the last few season and it may be that assets (such as the hotel/car park) have been sold off; and what is left, the core football club, is not an attractive proposition other than to a billionaire fan.

Bolton have the small possibility of a return to the Prem I guess which may interest an oil rich Saudi or a Russian Oligarch. Bury, like us, have absolutely no hope of that level of investment.

Hope so but still to satisfy the EFL over their ongoing funding and presume this Sat's match is still off. Also a deadline of mid-day on Friday to provide the necessary financial evidence to the EFL else their game on 10th Aug at Accrington may also be called off. It's a massive week for the club.

Hi guys,

I visit the Bury board a bit, but haven't posted recently given the state they are in. I've now posted this on behalf of us all:

I know you're all pretty down at the moment, but please know that all of us on ShrimperZone breathed a sigh of relief for you when we read that the WUP had been thrown out. It's not worth much but you and Bolton have your own thread on our Board. No doubt the rest of the lower league supporters are rooting for you all as well. Keep the faith guys, you're not out yet.

RHB x

Bury's game against Accrington on August 10th has now been postponed - many saying this is the end for them.

Also, how is it fair that Bolton are allowed to play now their takeover didn't happen and they only have 3 1st team players who have agreed to play? It's not fair on the rest of the teams that some will get a pretty much guaranteed 3 points and others (when they've sorted themselves out) won't.

Last edited:
I agree TG, it is a big big mess which doesn't appear to be getting sorted.
Have fans bought season tickets and paid their money to B and B?
The situation is almost fraudulent as both clubs don't appear to have 11 players (proper adult pros) who can make the field.

Wycombe Wanderers handed three points on a plate today which hardly seems fair. On the other hand, if they lose to Bolton....

What a right shambles,sorry but this all should have been sorted out a month prior to the league matches starting at least.I feel sorry for Plymouth who got relegated on goal difference,whilst a club in dire trouble got promoted from lge 2.

The EFL and Shaun Harvey haven’t covered themselves in glory over their handling of the situation with both clubs, they’ve been aware of Bolton’s financial plight for months and months yet did b-all. How Bolton have been allowed to play today without a confirmed line-up of players is ridiculous.

Back