• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Australia captain Mark Milligan signs - and home kit sponsored by Shrimperzone

Where is Milligan ?

......out of his depth
You must be brain dead to think Milligan is out off his depth ,that man has played higher than this just about all his career,hes not Captain off Australian national side for nothing ,Hes a holding midfielder who can deliver pass,SUFC are blessed to have him ,Ive seen him play countlesss times ,not his fault if we had a manager that didnt know how to use players to their strengths.

Definitely not much strength on offer from what I saw of Shrewsbury's 2nd or 3rd goal where the player went past him like he was no more than a mid-September mosquito. Highly disappointed. Mind you, Australia are hardly Brazil, although they do play in yellow I suppose (as do we!)

Definitely not much strength on offer from what I saw of Shrewsbury's 2nd or 3rd goal where the player went past him like he was no more than a mid-September mosquito. Highly disappointed. Mind you, Australia are hardly Brazil, although they do play in yellow I suppose (as do we!)
If you're talking about Milligan, and you are talking about last night's game, then you may not be aware that Milligan wasn't playing. Perhaps I've misunderstood.

Exactly ,he didnt play against Shrewsbury so best look at mantom and Hamilton who did play .

Perhaps the reason he didn't offer any strength in defence against Shrewsbury is because he didn't play in that match? I'm not sure who you are looking at but it certainly isn't Milligan.

Playing or even captaining an international side currently ranked 48th in the world is not setting the bar very high. He has never played in a European league apart from last season at also rans Hibernian, who were happy to let him go after one season. Most of his career has been spent in Australia or China, where he might have been a big fish in a small pond, but a soft option for any player with aspirations to make it to the top. We have seen with other Scottish Premier League signings like Shaughnessy, Ralph etc what a huge gulf there is between that league and the EFL, once you get past Celtic and Rangers, who themselves would probably struggle to get into the English Premier League. At his age Milligan has left it too late to make the grade, perhaps 10 years ago, he might have made it but not now.

Playing or even captaining an international side currently ranked 48th in the world is not setting the bar very high. He has never played in a European league apart from last season at also rans Hibernian, who were happy to let him go after one season. Most of his career has been spent in Australia or China, where he might have been a big fish in a small pond, but a soft option for any player with aspirations to make it to the top. We have seen with other Scottish Premier League signings like Shaughnessy, Ralph etc what a huge gulf there is between that league and the EFL, once you get past Celtic and Rangers, who themselves would probably struggle to get into the English Premier League. At his age Milligan has left it too late to make the grade, perhaps 10 years ago, he might have made it but not now.

You may not have read post 143 above. I know that Scottish newspapers aren't anything special but the article sort of makes a nonsense of the highlighted bit in your post.

Re: Milligan’s best position, isn’t he usually a Central defender for the Aussies?

Thought Kiernan was quite effective in CM end of last season, why not put Milligan at the back with Lennon thus allowing Kiernan to push up?

And just to add to what Rootshallbloke said above in his reply to you.

Milligan was to be signed by a couple of Championship clubs over the past few years but was unable to join either due to work permits being denied. He has said many times his dream was to play in Europe and especially in England but all previous attempts to do so were dashed due to work permit issues. He didn't play in China or Australia or the Middle East as an easy option. His last stint in Australia was a last minute decision after another move to Europe fell through.

He finally got his chance in Scotland last season before jumping at the chance to play in England. To my surprise it was with Southend.

You may not have read post 143 above. I know that Scottish newspapers aren't anything special but the article sort of makes a nonsense of the highlighted bit in your post.
I have of course read it, but this journo's view wasn't the manager's. How do you think Hibs would fare in league 1 as a matter of interest?

Back