• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Newport County AFC 0 -1 Southend Utd

Oxley 8 MOTM
Bwomono 7
White 7
Hobson 7
Clifford 8
Dieng 7
Demetriou 6
Ferguson 6
RHF 7
Halford 6
ANG 8

Akinola 7
Cordner 6

Hard working solid away performance. Oxley won us the game at the end and was dependable all game. ANG had great feet for the pitch, good close control can turn either way. Clifford great game and fancied him to score the free kick. Same again Saturday please, no stand out teams in this league. UTB

Tom Clifford - leading league scorer ....with 3!

We looked a lot more confident and organised with 4 at the back.

ANG carries the ball forward very well but needs to take the chances he gets. Don’t know why Akinola didn’t play 45 and Goodship the same.

First half was completely forgettable.

I thought we were going to rue the half-chances missed - all two of them.
But we had a decent slice of luck helped by jumping, scrapping and scurrying in midfield.
After a win, it's a bit churlish to pick holes, but we've got to add a bit more threat in attack haven't we?
I thought the same about how we won. Not pretty and passing was impossible with the ball bobbling around on the pitch, but I thought we hassled and pressured them in the middle and made good chances out of any scrappy opportunities

If you can put Holmes behind Akinola with ANG and Reeco either side with Ranger, Hart, Macca, Mellis, all to come back into the squad there's more than enough to keep us heading in the right direction and out of trouble and soon MM will have selection headaches again after a big 3 points which is only a good thing.

Up the blues

The Newport fans forum makes for some pleasant reading tonight:

To be fair, they were finding their men - we weren’t

They came for a draw based on our league position then realised hold on they are no better than us..

They are the better team, they are better on the ball and they appear to want it more.

They’ve been the better team

Yes the pitch is crap but it's the same for both sides... Southend and Grimsby have adapted better to it and played better football than our aimless punts.

Wow... awful performance. A deserved win for Southend.

The Newport fans forum makes for some pleasant reading tonight:

To be fair, they were finding their men - we weren’t

They came for a draw based on our league position then realised hold on they are no better than us..

They are the better team, they are better on the ball and they appear to want it more.

They’ve been the better team

Yes the pitch is crap but it's the same for both sides... Southend and Grimsby have adapted better to it and played better football than our aimless punts.

Wow... awful performance. A deserved win for Southend.

Does someone want to tell them that we weren't playing for a draw, that's actually us trying to score ?

I thought we deserved that based on the 2nd half performance. ANG MOM for me. We appear to have a few players who will benefit from better pitches, so roll on spring.

Well no one saw that one coming.Felt Clifford is better at full back than Hart.Probably should have scored more that's something we need to correct.Cant fault the effort on a horrible pitch onto Cambridge with renewed confidence

Yes Yes Yes. We're on a roll, again. Div Two survival is on it's way. Then promotion to Div One. Then the Championship. Followed by The Premier League title. Then The Champions League. Then the World Club Cup. OMG, this feels great.

Oops, I think I nodded off for a bit, then. Did we really win tonight ?

If you can put Holmes behind Akinola with ANG and Reeco either side with Ranger, Hart, Macca, Mellis, all to come back into the squad there's more than enough to keep us heading in the right direction and out of trouble and soon MM will have selection headaches again after a big 3 points which is only a good thing.

Up the blues

Don't forget Terrell too !

Back