• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Any questions!

Phil is the manager. As I've set out a number of times, my aim is to support Phil, Craig Fagan, Ricky Duncan, the Chairman, Supporters, CEO, players and create a positive and dynamic environment to work in.

I can't fall out with someone that I'm only there to help. I don't want to be a manager, coach, chairman or any role I'm not qualified for.

But I am qualified to bring structure, strategy, goodwill, relationships to the table which every employee at Southend United can benefit from.

I'm 50, if I wanted to be a jobbing football administrator, I'd have done it way before now.

Personally I'm delighted with Phil's comments tonight because I know he's open to fresh ideas and input. Likewise Ron.

But they are both naturally concerned that maybe my candour that I show you guys would be broadcast daily from within the club should I take up a role.

That won't be happening. Supporters will get the clearest and best information from a club anywhere in English football but there won't be a daily warts and all bulletin, and that has been intimated to everyone at the club.

I have zero ego where Southend is concerned but there's zero ego to be gained from offering genuine support other than feeling good about sticking my head above the parapet at a time of need. I think that's pretty cool.

I hope you all get the buzz you deserve next week, I believe there are very exciting days ahead, hand on heart.

But the "Stan Collymore argues with Phil or the tea lady " can all be put to bed now. I'll argue a point behind closed doors in an aim to get the very best outcomes for the club and everyone in it.
Does the club still have a tea lady? It sounds like something that could be done away with to save money.

Insert joke about us being rubbish in cups here

On a serious note, is there any empirical evidence that the suggested structure makes much difference?

In a study in 2012 it was found that football clubs tend to finish roughly according to their budgets

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/8dea91a8-481d-11e1-b1b4-00144feabdc0

I'm not knocking your plan Stan, I just thought I'd further the debate about sticking with a manager and backing them financially as much as we can

Same here, had all but given up hope, then stan ripped it up!

I remember me and my dad did the same with freddy , "Freddy Eastwood? Who the hells that" one hattrick later.....

Watch that and try not to smile...
I did smile and a bit of wee came out too ?

Hey Guys

Hope you're well.

Any questions for me? Happy to answer as some of you guys may not know exactly what I've been doing in recent years, so may have an outdated idea of what my involvement is in pro football today.

Think I've set a lot out in zoom calls with all supporters groups and Trust as well as to the Chairman prior to our two meetings ( last one today).

Some won't be familiar with complete transparency and indeed some really get taken off guard by it but I'm convinced that you guys are the most important paet of Southend United therefore I will not yield on making sure, where possible, you are fully informed of any information that can leave you well informed, hopefully happy and seeing tangible, measurable progress.

So please park any preconceptions you have of me, to date I have done zero wrong to your club, or shy of you guys, so let's communicate effectively, honestly and openly. It really will yield benefits.

Feel free to chime in!
Hi Stan, do you reckon the players might have tried harder in the FA Cup game against Borehamwood if they'd known then that us fans would have been allowed in at the final? (Assuming we'd won all the other rounds as well ?)

The club does not have unlimited funds with all these extra positions being created isn't there a serious question that it will reduce the playing budget in the NLfirst season when it's probably the most important item to get us back in the league.I don't doubt in better times and higher leagues this suggested structure would help but it seems top heavy at this time

The club does not have unlimited funds with all these extra positions being created isn't there a serious question that it will reduce the playing budget in the NLfirst season when it's probably the most important item to get us back in the league.I don't doubt in better times and higher leagues this suggested structure would help but it seems top heavy at this time

If we do it, it has to start sometime and why not ASAP.

What an amazing thread. Shrimperzone being spoilt at the moment. Thanks Stan and everyone, enjoyed reading that.
Me too Austin . Like Nick12 it was a pleasure to meet you last Saturday. I think the 3 of us basically solved all of the clubs problems between us in little over 30 mins.. Some going that !

Stan, what are your thoughts on VAR? Offside rule a joke in my opinion....... It's ruining the game for players and fans.

Last edited:

Right, responding to this because this line of thought drives me a bit mad - nothing personal!

Can we please nip in the bud any notion that Ron Martin has a serious 'budget', beyond perhaps a loose figure at the start of the season which is then not really kept to? It's giving him way too much credit. He just isn't that sort of planner. He flies by the seat of his pants, and his cashflow situation is very fluid - evidence: the club being able to afford the likes of Kightly, Kiernan one minute, and then in debt to HMRC and without a pot to **** in the next minute, and then back to committing to 'spend big' again next season. For the most part, I honestly think he just decides on a case-by-case basis whether he feels we can afford something/someone.rather than strictly keeping within a pre-decided budget. He will follow the same 'procedure' when putting in place this new structure.

Beyond that, speculate to accumulate. As Stan Collymore has strongly suggested in other posts, spending extra now to fill positions such as these is quite likely (if done right) to reduce financial waste going forward, i.e pay off in the medium-long term.

Right, responding to this because this line of thought drives me a bit mad - nothing personal!

Can we please nip in the bud any notion that Ron Martin has a serious 'budget', beyond perhaps a loose figure at the start of the season which is then not really kept to? It's giving him way too much credit. He just isn't that sort of planner. He flies by the seat of his pants, and his cashflow situation is very fluid - evidence: the club being able to afford the likes of Kightly, Kiernan one minute, and then in debt to HMRC and without a pot to **** in the next minute, and then back to committing to 'spend big' again next season. For the most part, I honestly think he just decides on a case-by-case basis whether he feels we can afford something/someone.rather than strictly keeping within a pre-decided budget. He will follow the same 'procedure' when putting in place this new structure.

Beyond that, speculate to accumulate. As Stan Collymore has strongly suggested in other posts, spending extra now to fill positions such as these is quite likely (if done right) to reduce financial waste going forward, i.e pay off in the medium-long term.
He'll be even more gung ho next year with no transfer windows!

Stan, had the pleasure of meeting you out in Lisbon for the 2004 Euro’s, I mentioned I was a Shrimper so you stopped and had a brief chat with me prior to the England v France game :Clap:

So on the subject of England, what do you realistically expect this current exciting crop to produce this summer and maybe further ahead next winter for the Qatar WC?

??‍♂️

Look where they were when the process started!

1. Kept a lot of staff since I was there!
2. Trusted them in a new framework
3. Added to them in different departments
4. Inward investment came in
5. Infrastructure built ( new training ground which is one of the world's best)
6. Fans listened to
7. A class player recruitment department
8. Sign players under noses of bigger fish
9. Committed style of play that's flexible but non negotiable.
10. Brendan goes to Spurs or Arsenal, don't expect 8 out, 8 in, the next manager will already know what he has yo work with, tweak it but no large upheaval.

A SUSTAINABLE BLUE?PRINT.
Spot on, a real victory for football today by a very well run family club. I don't envy the greedy 6 but I do Leicester ?

but will we be spending extra or cutting back to the bare bones in the most essential area to finance these positions .If we don't get this right on the pitch in the first couple of seasons the Academy will probably be gone .If we don't get it right on the pitch and our stay in non league is longer the consequences in selling this club off the pitch to future supporters and investors will diminish as will revenues.If success was as easy as employing CEO's every club running the business model suggested would be successful....which we know isn't the case as it's on the pitch success that counts and many of those clubs are massively in debt or supported by owners with financial backing.
As for Ron we just don't know what the background was to many of the weird and wonderful!! signings and decisions ....there's no doubt at times he did back the manager and try and buy success but at other times he cut them adrift as the money ran out .He also in the last few seasons hasn't been the luckiest when one decent cup run might have tipped the financial scales in his favour as would FF if things had gone to plan back in 2008
Anyway whatever our views we all want the same thing for the club and I hope Stan is the man to help turn this mess around

Stan, what are your thoughts on VAR? Offside rule a joke in my opinion....... It's ruining the game for players and fans.

Well, if I may chip in with my opinion here I think VAR works well in cricket and in rugby for disputed tries. In both cases it has improved the game. However it isn't really suited to football though other than for possible penalty decisions and whether the ball has crossed the goal line.

In my opinion the VAR ref should only contact the on-field ref if he has spotted something blatant, either off the ball or in terms of a clearly mistaken decision. Marginal offside should not be subject to VAR.

Back